V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have Bean kicking this idea around for a wile, my e-glide's dash has a nice cover for the gas cap, but a ugly black plastic filler piece between the cap cover and the seat.
Now Harley dose sell some inserts that replace this, if you like skulls, your in luck, there are three of them, or a flam one, or one with little Harley bar and shields.
There like 45 a pop, and they all look, well ugly to me.

So I decided that. like every other bike i have had, it needs something that will set it off as a one of a kind, something that I make myself.
I though maybe a billet piece, but I figured there are a bunch of those out there, then I thought, why not make a wood grain Insert.
It's not like my bike lives outside, and well, it is not out in the sun without a cover, so the sun is not that much of an issue, and as long as i seal it up with a good UV Polyurethane It should last.

I found this nice piece of AAAA Quilt hard rock maple at a hobby store near my house, and well I spent the day in my shop sawing, forming, sanding, staining and i got the first coat on, it will be 4 days before I can do the next coat, but it's not like I am in a hurry, it is the beginning on my winter project.

OK, this post is useless without pictures.....

I have more work to do for sure, and I will keep you all up to date as it progresses, so what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Very purty!!!! ~!Awesome!
I am interested to see how durable is will be on the giant vibrator. Keep us posted on your progress, that maple is really stunning.

cheers!!drunk!

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
Coming from a place like Beaverton Oregon, it just seems fitting you should have some real wood on your bike, being in the logging business myself I would like to see you sell about 5 million more of these, looks awesome by the way.

·
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.

Well I sanded it today and gave it a second coating, it looks to be coming out, I am using a UV Poly that takes 5 days before you can add coats.
It dose take longer, but it will last far longer.

It should be ready to install by mid October.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Now that is without a doubt nothing but 1st class....great job

·
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all.

You know what, i got this all done and mounted on, but with my shoulder surgery, i can't get the bike out to take a dang picture for you all.

I haven't forgotten, and i will try to get a picture for you'all soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
October, December, January now Feb. Lets see that thing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts