V-Twin Forum banner

I got a high revver by accident...

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bakintheday 
#1 ·
After a number of engine mods over the last few years, my Evo came up with a different power band after the last mods. The motor is an 80 inch Evo (in a 98 FLSTS), Leineweber Cam for heavy twins, Baisley head work with altered combustion chamber and bigger valves, roller rockers, forged pistons and bored .10 over. The bike breathes/expels well. Screaming Eagle ignition and coils. The head work and roller rockers were the final mods...the ones that seemed to make the difference in the power band.
The bike offers fine torque through the first four gears...but fifth gear really seems like a true overdrive these days. This bike loves fourth gear....it does not like to be in fifth until around sixty MPH....especially two up. Huge top speed....but just doesn't like to lug in fifth. Shakes like a dog passing peach seeds at around 45 to 50 MPH in fifth.
I'm told I could change the number of teeth in the clutch sprocket to lower everything a bit....also would have to buy a kit to correct the speedo, I understand.
Anybody done this?

#3 ·
45 to 50 you should be in fourth anyway..especially with a motor like you have. I wouldn't be messing around with the primary or final drive. You've put a pile of work into the motor to have more fun..I'd be riding it and having more fun. Try nailing that baby in 5th at 75...that's where she'll sing.

#4 ·
Funny thing.. on the Deuce when I want another gear, it's not there, but on my EVO Road King, it is. It doesnt reach the powerband on top gear till around 65, so 4th gear runs almost to 65. But it pulls like a rocket when the powerband hits. Its had EVERYTHING done to it except stroke, and runs a Woods W8. Ride it.

#5 ·
Sleepy said:
45 to 50 you should be in fourth anyway..especially with a motor like you have. I wouldn't be messing around with the primary or final drive. You've put a pile of work into the motor to have more fun..I'd be riding it and having more fun. Try nailing that baby in 5th at 75...that's where she'll sing.
@gree:

I don't know if you have a tach or not, but I definately try to keep the motor humming a bit higher...staying above 2500 wherever possible.

2500 rpm in 5th gear for my bike is 60 mph...so unless I can cruise atleast 58 mph, I don't go into 5th.

With your motor work, you're probably running a bit more compression than stock, so the point of lugging the motor is raised. Just keep the r's up a bit and you'll have a grand time. If you have a rubber mount bike, you may want to check them as well. I've heard motor work can wear out those bushings faster....which would lead to more percieved vibration too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.