V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can fix your basic Genie garage door opener problem. Not this time. The BF wound spring that provides tension broke in the middle. The wire cables that pull up the door are taught and I can't budge the door. Bike is trapped inside. Beautiful weather today. Garage door repair company told me not to cut those wires or I could loose a hand.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Fred1369 said:
I can fix your basic Genie garage door opener problem. Not this time. The BF wound spring that provides tension broke in the middle. The wire cables that pull up the door are taught and I can't budge the door. Bike is trapped inside. Beautiful weather today. Garage door repair company told me not to cut those wires or I could loose a hand.
I've had that happen before. You might see if you (maybe with some assistance) can lift the door enough to get the weight off the cables and then put a block under the door to prevent it from going farther down. At this point, I have safely cut cables and gotten them out of the way. Assuming all that works, you can then raise the door manually (heavy sumbitch!!!) and support it with 2X4s or whatever is handy. That will allow you to get whatever you need out. You can also lower the door manually to a closed position VERY CAREFULLY.

All disclaimers apply....I ain't no perfessional door guy.

·
Opinions Vary
161 Posts
My spring broke a few years ago.
Use 2 pipe wrenches on the rod that the spring and wire spools connect to and 'wrench/walk' the door open from wrench to wrench. Have someone handy to block the door open tho.
(I used a couple 2x6's - one on either side)

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
You might not be able to open it because of its weight. Even thin stamped steal doors can weight a LOT without the springs helping to balance the weight, depending on the door size.

Try a few poeple to help lift it.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
You might not be able to open it because of its weight. Even thin stamped steal doors can weight a LOT without the springs helping to balance the weight, depending on the door size.

Try a few poeple to help lift it.
Yup....they are seriously heavy. I was able to lift my door (double) when my door spring broke, but it was about all I could do....and I was a lot younger then. My wife was able to place the door blocks/supports for me.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Use vise-grips to clamp on the roller glides to prevent the door from closing as you lift it up.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Gotta watch door springs. learned my lesson on those years ago when my one at my friends place left go and wound up laying on the dryer in the room next door. It let go over a 1934 Deitrich roadster bodied Packard 12.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
There's a cable that runs through my springs and through a couple of pulleys, attached to the far end and to the top of the door frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts