95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 EG Classic 5,600mi
Tmax
K&N 3909 AC Kit
Rheinhardt TDs
Amsoil 20W50 in motor and primary
Amsoil 85W140 Severe Gear in tranny

Got the deal from Zannotis with the bearing pressed in like and it arrived yesterday. Got my lazy ass up at 6 this morning. About a 2 hour install by myself........not fun! Would have been easier with an extra set of hands getting it back together. Got bundled up and took it for a test ride. Back roads,city roads and the GS Parkway. About 80 miles was all I could hack at 8 in the morning here. My bones were hurtin from the cold. Anyway......my opinion....HD should have made this a recall for whomever bought an 07....touring or not. It IS a different bike. I was ready to live with it and maybe trade it in the spring but now its a keeper. No more freakin rattle trap. Maybe it is just a mask.....but it does work. I still dont advise running around in 6th at 50/55 cause even though you dont feel the lugging like you did before the IDS....its lugging just the same but I had to try it for myself to see if I could like everyone here said. I know I could'nt before. I dont know why 5th is quieter....but it is. Mine sounded like a turbo in 5th before. Anyway....got an 07....get it. Thats my story and Im stickin to it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I keep hearing about all the good things the IDS does. But, my 07 Ultra with an 8/06 build date does not sound like a rattle trap. I did a stage one before it left the dealer and added Rush mufflers. I have to listen closely to hear the 5th gear whine. The pipes do help cover some of the noise. I can run 6th gear at 2000 RPMS and up with out any rattling. Everything seems fine. The Rush 1.75's are loud, but not obnoxious. Are the the mufflers covering up the rattle that many of you speak of? What will the IDS do for me? Is there any reason for me to add it? Maybe I need to put the stock pipes back on and take a closer listen? Or am I just one of the lucky ones?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO you have the noise. Maybe you're just used to it or its what you expect.
Nothings changed on the build. I know and ride with about 30 people with 07s and they all have the symptoms. Most have went with the IDS since its been available. I was a holdout. Wish I would'nt have been. Would have saved me a lot of bitchin about my bike constantly and the feeling I got shafted.Pipes wont hide it. They will cover up the intensity of the 5th whine but it can still be heard easily. Ive got Rheinhardts. I can hear it always even with the new IDS but now its faint. The 08s still whine in 5th with the IDS. The RATTLES dissapeared completely on my bike with the IDS! Try to get a demo ride of an 08 tourer and I guarantee you'll see the difference even if you think your bikes fine. It is a HUGE improvement and will make a good 07 even better.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Having ridden pans and shovels for years and years, that little noise in 5th just doesnt bother me. I just finally heard it this weekend whhen we out in the country away from all the city noise. Ive put 10,000 miles on my Ultra since I got it 16 May 07 and I love this bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I put the IDS on my 07 EGC 7k ago. I had a real rattle trap. It fixed it. Today the bike went in for service. The 07 EGC loaner they gave me is one of the good ones and does not have the IDS. But the difference between it and my bike are like night and day.
This one is ok but mine is silky smooth. After riding this one, I can see why some don't think they need it. It is worth it. The smoothness it adds is unbeleiveable.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Bubba 57 said:
What is an IDS?
Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit is how the parts and accessories catalog describes it, '08 book, p.461

It is being touted as the " fix " for the noise some '07's have been stuck with for whatever reason. $305.00 plus the labor if you don't have a dealer willing to do the install free. My wife has an '07 Ultra and she will not be getting the fix for whatever reason. I believe she feels like it should have been done by HD and she is not likely to change her mind. I have even offered to pay for it myself......all she says is thanks for the offer.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
My local stealership is offering the IDS installed for $269 for a limited time. I am thinking about getting it done. I just installed a Thunermax EFI system so this would be the next step to making it the perfect ride.

·
New Guy_49 Years Ago
30 Posts
I like principled people even those I disagree with on certain issues. I respect your wife's positon that the IDS should have come as original equipment on all '07' FLHs. That said, if she believes it "should have come as original equipment' I can she believe it shouldn't be installed now that it is available? I know....I'm married.:laugh:

After 13 months of deciding whether to keep my '07 ultra I can say without question there was/is no better investment in any '07 FLH than the IDS. I believe at trading time IDS equipped '07s will retain much more of their value in the private sale market than those without. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I have IDS...I wouldn't ride without it. Now, we need a rich attorney to crusade our plea that H-D should reimburse our cost of this field fix.

Thorns

·
Registered
60 Posts
VtwinJaxFL said:
My local stealership is offering the IDS installed for $269 for a limited time. I am thinking about getting it done. I just installed a Thunermax EFI system so this would be the next step to making it the perfect ride.

What dealer did you have it done for $269? Was it the new Baymeadow store?

Marc

·
Registered
25 Posts
VtwinJaxFL said:
I mentioned this offer to two dealers in my area and inquired about the same. Got this from one...

"I understand your concerns with the IDS and at this time we are not offering any specials for this. However our winter specials will help you out if you decide to have the work done here at.... We are offering a 20% kick back in the form of a gift card for the amount of your purchase. This special runs from Nov. 1st thru Feb. 14th . We can install the IDS system parts and labor for $450.00 and with the kick back you would receive a $90.00 gift card. Feel free to respond to this email or call in at..."

:blink:

Nothing yet from the other...

Hey Thorns.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Just stop and look at some of these sites,this was a very wide spread complaint,maybe wider than even Hd realized and guess what they made us pay for it.To all these dealers that said they heard nothing,that you were the only bike they sold with this noise is pure BS.Now they are offering a special for a problem they could never own up to.AHHH the smell of fresh green!Its a new way of doing business,make the owners pay for this so called enhancement,up the specs as they have done on the crank issue to suit their needs.The 08 delivery dates just seem to keep being pushed back,does HD have problems?I think they do and its scaring many away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
RKotter said:
I mentioned this offer to two dealers in my area and inquired about the same. Got this from one...

"I understand your concerns with the IDS and at this time we are not offering any specials for this. However our winter specials will help you out if you decide to have the work done here at.... We are offering a 20% kick back in the form of a gift card for the amount of your purchase. This special runs from Nov. 1st thru Feb. 14th . We can install the IDS system parts and labor for $450.00 and with the kick back you would receive a $90.00 gift card. Feel free to respond to this email or call in at..."

:blink:

Nothing yet from the other...

Hey Thorns.
I stopped by one dealer in Jacksonville today and they had no discount on installing the IDS. The service manager did not even know what I was talking about.

·
Registered
433 Posts
tolson1948 said:
Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit is how the parts and accessories catalog describes it, '08 book, p.461

It is being touted as the " fix " for the noise some '07's have been stuck with for whatever reason. $305.00 plus the labor if you don't have a dealer willing to do the install free. My wife has an '07 Ultra and she will not be getting the fix for whatever reason. I believe she feels like it should have been done by HD and she is not likely to change her mind. I have even offered to pay for it myself......all she says is thanks for the offer.
Your wife is right. I don't even own an 07 and I'm very upset by Harley's attitude on this one. I rented an 07 Electraglide last summer and I was frustrated with the clacking. 5th noise didn't bother me, but the clattering was very obnoxious and totally uncalled for. Harley owes it to all of its customers, if it wants to keep them, to do right by the 07 owners on this one and buy the the damn IDS and have it installed. I'm surprised some slick class action lawyer hasn't already jumped on this one. It's so obvious.

Hmmm could this issue be one of the reasons that Harley sales are way down in 07? Dealers in the Bay Area are having a hell of a time moving them out for the 08s.

I love my Harley, and I'm not a habitual Moco basher, but the company should be listening -- hear those Star and Victory engines? They're getting closer and closer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Save $100 on install labor on IDS- Elbow Grease

Harley-Davidson dealers are running a special called "Elbow Grease" which will save you $100 on installation labor on the IDS if you have it installed between now and January 31, 2008. The promotion also covers numerous other accessories like chrome front ends, certain wheels etc. Make sure you check the list at the dealer of what you can save the $100 on. You can save up to $500 if you install five packages that are in the promotion. Great deal for anyone doing winter storage at a dealer.

GET THE IDS. I have it and the bike is a totally different animal with it installed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Over the last week since I put mine on Ive found myself shifting right on into 6th early and then forcing myself to shift down to 5th again. I dont feel as I have to though. It rides so smooth and 6th after 50MPH is butter.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts