V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing my auxiliary lights on my Springer. It was kind of a PIA. I wanted to hook them up so I could operate the lights completely independently of the other electronics on the bike. The relay in the kit's wiring harness was completley thwarting my plans. FInally, I made a little jumper to bypass the relay and everything seems to work the way I wanted. Fingers crossed and ready for Daytona. :clap:

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The relay that you by-passed is probably to reduce current throught the control (on/off) switch. The lights draw more current that the switch is designed for. So the switch operates the relay and the relay's contacts can handle the high current better. If you by-passed the relay, expect the switch to have a short life.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
That's true, but if the wires are up to it in the first place, then the relay is not necessary.

Personally, I hate relays, but to each his own.

·
Registered
118 Posts
srb8267 is correct. Put the relay back into the circuit. Simply take the power feed for the relay (red if it is the HD aux. fog lights) and splice it into your front running light hot wire. (blue if it is the same as my Dyna) This will allow you to operate the aux lights in either hi or lo beam, and will turn off with the key. That's my .02 worth, hope it helps you. Longshadow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts