V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's happened to me....
This is the generic message I sent to family and friends..

God’s miracle to me tonight (Nov. 6, 2007):
I was traveling north on I-5 near Castle Rock, WA, just north of Portland, OR, on my Harley Heritage motorcycle. Traveling back home from work at a contaminated site near Portland. Going about 65 mph or so, about 6:30 pm, dark. When WHAM! My handlebars whip around, I’m flying through the air to my right, watching my bike flying across the freeway, thinking “OK, this is it, I may be dead here”. I remembered to huddle my arms together to roll, but I’m thinking “Hey, I’m not rolling”, then “Bam!” I hit the pavement and start rolling, and rolling, and rolling…. I figured at least about 15 rolls. I came to a stop in the right lane, looked up and saw grass, so quickly crawled over to it to make sure I was out of oncoming traffic. My first thoughts were “Ok, this is weird, I’m not feeling anything hurting, but is something hanging or broken I’m not feeling?”… No, I move everything like nothing happened. My first thoughts were “Thank You God, for me not being hurt”.
I’m looking at the traffic, which is quickly stopped, people are running over to me, a women is feeling my legs to make sure I’m Ok. I’m seeing my bike laying in the far lane. Within 5 min. medics are there, cops, etc…. I find my cell phone in my jacket pocket and call Ray (hubby), telling him that I’m on the side of I-5, but OK, he hears the ambulance sirens going…
I learn that I hit….. hold on, you mechanically-minded folks….. I hit a semi-truck driveline that fell off the semi that was way ahead of me. I never saw anything… still seems like an invisible 2 foot concrete wall came up right in front of my bike. One of the other car drivers that came over was a guy who hit the driveline right after I did, and it blew out his tire, so he was on the side of the road.
Since I was so far from home, police had my bike towed to Toledo, WA, and the Castle Rock fire medics offered to take me to their station and let me stay there till Ray came and picked me up. It was so cool… I got to ride up front in the medic truck! I hung out at the fire station, wrapped up in an electric blanket, watching “Cops” (that’s what they have on most of the day… “Court TV” channel!). We talked and laughed a lot as bikers were racing from cops, “clients” were arrested in prostitution stings, and drunk guys were acting stupid and hauled off to jail… great medic folks. In fact, lots of them ride motorcycles, including the officer that was first on the scene, and the lady that ran across the freeway to check me (she said she’s just gotten her license). Anyway, Ray showed up around 8:00 pm, and we went home. Got some emotions out in the car with him.
So, today I’m doing insurance claim stuff, seeing the doctor for a check up at 3:50 pm, maybe getting my bike towed here, and chilling. My left pinky is a little sore, but for right now, that’s about anything close to pain that I’m feeling. The only damage to my leathers (jacket and chaps) is a little hole on the left elbow!
In short….. Last night I was flung off my bike at 65 + mph into the air on I-5, rolled many times, and not only got up and walked away, but my leathers are practically new, and I have virtually no scratches.….God DOES do miracles!
Oh, and I can say “I SHUT DOWN I-5!”

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. Also great to hear you have a sense of humor about it all (your first flying lesson). After you get checked out by the doctor, and everything is alright, I'd either rent or borrow a bike and go for a ride. Gotta get right back on the horse, know what I mean.

Good luck with the doctor and insurance...

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
So that was YOU?

I heard that on the news just as i was on my way home, the local news only said how the freeway was shut down for a motorcycle crash, no follow up on injury's or what else.

Thank the good Lord you are still with us.

I hope you got the truckers Info, it's was his driveshaft after all.

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Hi Martha!

Unbelievable, that you would walk away from a crash like that with hardly a scratch! Looks like being in good standing with the man upstairs paid off for you big time ;)

Hope the doc really doesn´t find anything and that everything works out with the insurance!

I´ve always disliked riding at night, and this story doesn´t make my aversion any better...

Be well!
Sponk

·
Registered
224 Posts
St. Christopher was with you

I am not an overly religous person but I have to think St. Christopher was riding with you. I have a St. Christopher medal attached to my bike and hope he brings me through if I ever crash. I am really glad you came away uninjured. I saw my brother wreck his bike and he also walked away without a scratch. He is now riding a 2008 Street Glide Anniversary edition.

Get out there and get a new bike as soon as you can. God bless.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Martha, God was surely with you! The peace of mind to pull your arms in, just incredible. This is one to tell your children's children's children!!! I'll bet your fellow CMA members are offering up many prayers of thanks, and I will pass this story on to my BlackSheep brothers and sisters in Christ for the same.

What a wonderful upcoming Thanksgiving for you and yours!!!!!!!!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok!!! Way too many of us go down and don't get back up!!! I second the advice that you get right back on a bike...it'll save ya a case of the nerves later if you're so inclined...

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Damn Martha, I crashed at 10 miles an hour last spring and I'm still dealing with the broken bones! You were so right to wrap in a ball, not just an act of God, but also an act of a very smart level headed lady....

And thanks for the reminder to all of us; this is a dangerous hobby we have here and you never know when some freak thing is going to reach out and bring us down...there is no substitute for PPE.

God Bless you Martha, and don't forget to return His favor.

PS. I agree about getting back on the bike, but I know that I've become far more conscious and careful after my accident, that isn't a bad thing. Not that I don't enjoy riding, but some of my balls were defintely left on the pavement, I've just slowed down a bit.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
martha, glad you are ok, thats amazing!

do others a great favor and tell which riders course you took and the instructors name. he may save other lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Wow! What an amazing story. Glad you are okay. Let us know about the damage and how it goes with the insurance.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I cannot imagine going through that without any injuries. God was for sure riding with you, as the thoughts of what could have happened are more than I care to think about.
Get back on the steed, or at least a rental before your mind has a chance to shrink the cajones' Or in your case, make you too nervous.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
God was watching over you that night Martha. It could of been a lot worse. My son was not so lucky after he was hit by a drunk SOB 8-9. He was going 65-70 when he hit.

DJW how many balls you got? :laugh:

·
Registered
442 Posts
The fact that you maintained control enough to ball up is a miracle but the grace of God helped you to be uninjured as I am quite sure you know. I am glad all turned out well and the bike ,while you get used to them ,is still only steel and rubber . It can be replaced, you can not.
BC

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
God must have plans for you, Martha! Good, quick thinking on your part. Glad to hear you're all right.

Lefty

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Martha, im sorry this happened to you, but what a powerful story! Has really got me thinkin. I mean this could only be divine intervention right. Obviously you are loved.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts