V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last bike was a 79 Kawasaki 1000, that my younger Bro owns now! I rented a Sportie over the weekend. It’s my first real ride on a Harley. I’ve been hitting all the demo rides all year and besides riding the sportie I have been on a V-Rod, the Softails (Custom, Deluxe and Fatboy), the Dynas (Superglide, Wideglide & Low Rider) and the Road King. The last demo I was on I rode the Sportie a couple times and really liked it. The one I rented was an 04 carb engine with 27k miles, stock everything including pipes!!! I put 330 miles on it in 24 hours. The seat is definitely a tad uncomfortable after the first hour, but the whole rest of the experience was quite nice. I notice the vibration is only in the foot pegs, and that doesn’t start until 70mph or so. I would think the Kuryakyn Iso pegs would cure that! It had no trouble hitting triple digits and that was just a short shot. I was impressed with the forward controls and my legs and feet got quite use to it. My legs and butt don’t feel anything today here at work from discomfort. The last bike I rented was a Yamaha FZ6 sport bike and my thighs were cramping for 3 days after! The Sportie handled great and wouldn’t mind renting it again or buying one in the near future. They aren’t just for girls! :harhar: :beer4u: :gun:

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Raytses said:
Check out this bad boy :)
What the heck is that thing? :wacko:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Rode my Father's stock 05' 883 the other day.

Glad he likes it!

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
Raytses said:
I loved my XL...
Not as much as I love my 06' Fatboy though.
However, they're both girls bikes...
Nah, the mantle of girl's bike in the softail line was passed to the deluxe in '05.

Lefty

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Lefty said:
Nah, the mantle of girl's bike in the softail line was passed to the deluxe in '05.

Lefty

I always thought they looked like a Fatboy with spokes.

Nicky

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
I saw this Sporty in the HD shop in NC when we went to the car show at Lowe's Speedway in Charlotte - thought it was awesome!!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Hey man...just because some of us used to call em "Shirley Davidson" doesn't mean they're a girls bike!!! :harhar: :roflback:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Lefty said:

Lefty
Yeah, when I saw the title of the thread, I figured it was about the Softail Deluxe......:harhar:

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
I had a 1978 KZ 1000 myself. That was a GREAT bike. I sold it to buy my first Harley, a 1991 Heritage. Sometimes I get nostalgic for the old KZ. I don't miss the inline 4cylinder buzz that came with them.​

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I love my Sporty. I'll probably just keep it until I'm too damn old to ride. As for the whole silly girl's bike thing, I've seen women riding Sportsters, Dynas, Softails, V-Rods, and big touring bikes. So I guess that makes them all girls' bikes. Fine with me.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
nhrafan43 said:
I always thought they looked like a Fatboy with spokes.

Nicky
True, but they have a lot of other frilly chit too.

Lefty

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
MadCity said:
I love my Sporty. I'll probably just keep it until I'm too damn old to ride. As for the whole silly girl's bike thing, I've seen women riding Sportsters, Dynas, Softails, V-Rods, and big touring bikes. So I guess that makes them all girls' bikes. Fine with me.
Yep! You got it! And it's harder to ride a Sporty a long distance than a big fat cushy Road King! Believe me - I know! I rode my old '82 Ironhead 4-speed Sporty from here to Daytona down I-95 one year. Damn - that was a trip I'll never forget - could barely keep that old 4-speed at 70 mph and the rpm's were over 4K, but she made it and so did I! :wootdnc:

Sportsters will always have my respect, as will pretty much anyone who rides one unless you're a d*ck! LOL! :D

·
Noch ein bier, bitte
1,537 Posts
MadCity said:
Thanks for putting things into perspective. This "girl's bike" thing gets a little boring after while. -2$en#e- :cheers:

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Laurie,

I knew you were cool but that settles it. Where were you 20, and 30, years ago when I was single and looking for a riding buddy?

·
Registered
70 Posts
labels! horsestuff

i know several pretty tough ungirlie man types who ride or rode sportys. At a stoplight today i saw a guy (? ) cruise by on a fatboy with a plaid shirt ,sneakers and a monster beer (? ) gut. The bike made him a real man! And my first bike bought new was a 78 LTD 1000. AWSOME bike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts