V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Kuryakyn hypercharger on my 01 wide glide. Very pleased with the looks and performance, but I am getting some oil /gas blowing out of the rear of the hypercharger. The oil is not over filled and the gas smell is minor, mainly after cold start up. I've been told this is common with the hypercharger and can't do anything about it. (?)
Also will the Kuryakyn crankcase breather #9918 solve the problem?

Your right, I am NOT a mechanic!
Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No Leak...

LVFXDWG,

I wish I could help Bro, but I think someone is pulling mightily upon your leg. I have a Hypercharger on my 00 FLSTF, installed in 00, and have never had a drop of fuel or oil come out of it. Maybe someone else can offer some insight into this.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Leaky Kury...

LVFXDWG,

The element in KuryAkyn Hyperchargers is a K&N oiled gauze filter. The element may initially drip some residual oil when new. You didn't mention what type of head breather you're running. I've been running a Kury with a Screamin' Eagle breather manifold plumbed into the aluminum carb throat spacer with a 3/8" line on my '99 FXDX for over two years now with no spewage problems.

Until...

Ever since I had the motor bumped to 95" hi. comp. w/radical cams and SE heads last fall I've noticed a very slight oil mist residue on the side of the bike from the filter rearward. It's so slight that it blends with the usual road grime and comes out in the wash so to speak. This condition (in my case) is most likely caused by the overlap of the hot cams causing carb reversion.

So unless you're running hot cams in your Fat Head you shouldn't be experiencing any spewage. That is if you have an appropriate breather. I chose the SE breather since KuryAkyn wasn't making thier fancy chrome doodad breather at the time and the included apperatus was unsightly to say the least. I did have to slightly modify the installation of the breather manifold with a 3/8" barb end 90 deg. fitting at the carb to AC spacer and some shim washers at the banjo bolts to make for proper fitment but no biggie.

Hope this helps!

Later,

Mike

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running the SE breather as well.
It's still new and I'm going to put a few hundred miles on this weekend, so hopefully it will clear up.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check your breathers

I have a Hypercharger Pro-R and changed the breathers so that the breathers wouldn't vent into the intake. (I don't want any oil from potential overfilling to get sucked down the intake). After adding my Bluegrass Breathers (which take the vent air into a collector canister and filter out the oil droplets), I noticed some oil droplets around the breather bolts. This was due to a poor seal at the breathers which I corrected by adding spacers to help compensate. I also noticed that the holes in the breather bolts were partially covered by the bracket due to the spacers I added so I have changed the bolts to different ones so that the holes are unobstructed. I could have driilled another set of holes through the bolts or elongated the ones in place but I was fortunate to find ones that didn't need any additional work done to them.

My guess is that this oil is coming from your breathers and is leaking onto your air filter and then dripping off your air filter onto the air cleaner housing. You may also want to check how well your seal is around your breather bolts. If you're not using the stock Kuryakyn inlet with the breather vents tht vent into the intake and venting externally as I am, then you may want to checking the breather bolt holes to see where they line up.

I'm no engineer but it stands to reason that the breather bolt holes should be unobstructed so that the crankcase air can freely vent. If the holes in the breather bolts aren't lining up properly, am guessing that you'd be building up a slight excess pressure in the crankcase since there would be some restriction at the breather bolts and "maybe" that is causing the crankcase oil vapors to be ejected under more pressure from the engine. I also think this might drop your hp and performance slightly since the piston is going to feel some back pressure underneath it as it goes down. I don't know, maybe it's cancelled completely by the suction caused by the other piston going up, but they aren't 180 offset on the crankshaft...

If anyone has a differing take on what's going on, or has more knowledge in this area, would appreciate them turning the light on.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
LVFXDWG said:
Just installed the Kuryakyn hypercharger on my 01 wide glide. Very pleased with the looks and performance, but I am getting some oil /gas blowing out of the rear of the hypercharger. The oil is not over filled and the gas smell is minor, mainly after cold start up. I've been told this is common with the hypercharger and can't do anything about it. (?)
Also will the Kuryakyn crankcase breather #9918 solve the problem?

Your right, I am NOT a mechanic!
Any input is appreciated.
I take it you have a carb....read this http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108751

1 - 6 of 6 Posts