V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 CVO Ultra. While in Strugis this past week, twice my clutch would not disengage. The first time I had it repaired at a local shop in Strugis. He flushed the system and refilled with DOT4 and bled the system. It worked great for a couple of days. It happened again and this time I took it to the Black Hills HD. They basicly did the same thing that the shop in Strugis did.

The Harley service writer told me that they have been having a lot of trouble with the hydraulic clutches on the CVO Electraglides. His theroy is that the clutch line runs too close to the front cylinder header pipe and that it is boiling the fluid and causing the system to get air in the clutch line.

I live in Texas and it is way hotter here than it was in SD last week. I have never had that problem down here.

Anyone ever heard of this or experienced anything simular?
Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here are a couple of thoughts..

I run hydraulic on my shovel using DOT 5 in it and did the same on my 94 Ultra I converted to hydraulic for a while. Didn't know yours was DOT 4 but maybe swapping it over to 5 might be the answer.
Odd it is giving you fits there for sure, but also a bit funny as that is where mine started going out on me a few years ago when I was there.. I made it back into Denver and bought a new master cylinder for it and was good to go. The kit I had used to convert it had a poor M/C, so the new one was nice.. No problems with it after that..

Maybe a new o-ring on the piston would do the trick too?

Griz

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue, after having been stuck in 10 miles of bumper to bumper traffic in Denver, while returning home from Sturgis. The dealership that changed the DOT 4 fluid measured the water in the old fluid in excess of 4%. I was informed then that the tubing from the clutch reservoir runs alongside the exhaust system. I've had no problem since, and rode another thousand miles home after the repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts