V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
my build .... 04 flhtc woods tw5g non cnc htcc 182 compression both cyls hot or cold difference is about 2 psi .
feuling oil pump crane roller rockers and adj push rods
stock cv carb except for yost power tube .
using manual compression releases the bike kicks back worse when hot sometimes have to crank it over 3 or 4 times before it will fire up .
using a dyna ign module set at 28B as suggested by the dyna tech dept .
Battery seems charged up ok , is there was some way to shut the lights off till it fired up to give the battery a bit more power .
this is still the origional battery from 04

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
You can put a switch of some kind on the headlight power. It is a good idea, but is illegal in many states and is required on all motorcycles made to be used on the highway in the US. I imagine that there is a similar law in Canada, they like daytime lights. I would use a switch that lights, so that you know that your lights are on or off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
decker said:
hi
my build .... 04 flhtc woods tw5g non cnc htcc 182 compression both cyls hot or cold difference is about 2 psi .
feuling oil pump crane roller rockers and adj push rods
stock cv carb except for yost power tube .
using manual compression releases the bike kicks back worse when hot sometimes have to crank it over 3 or 4 times before it will fire up .
using a dyna ign module set at 28B as suggested by the dyna tech dept .
Battery seems charged up ok , is there was some way to shut the lights off till it fired up to give the battery a bit more power .
this is still the origional battery from 04
First are you using stock lifters, they can bleed down and give you the problems you described.

Second Original battery could be weak have it tested with a load type tester. Third you can replace your battery cables with some upgraded cables(they make a difference).

Fourth sometimes starters get weaker when you put heat on them. can you heat up the starter with a commercial heat gun when the rest of the bike is cold.

Last when you have a hard time starting you can drop the battery voltage down to where the ignition does not want to work well. Crane sells a relay that allows more voltage to the ignition when you are cranking, this can help a lot.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
John Therrien
M.I.A. Cycles,NY

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply ..yes I am using new stock lifters one thing I did notice was the rear plug was black when I pulled it out and the front a normal light brown also my muffler was black instead of its usual grey colour [I would have thought going from 1450 to 1550 and the htcc heads and cam I would be running lean not rich ]going to check my slow speed jet see whats in there and the needle position I havent opened it up enough to get to the main jet yet trying to keep it under 3 grand for a while I forgot to mention I am running a 2 into 1 bassani road rage .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts