V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2000 Dyna with a big bore kit and a Baker six speed. I recently upgraded the bike with HTCC Heads, Pistons, Manifold, CV 44mm Carb, SE 257 cams, and the SE Programmable ignition module.

My problem is I have what sounds like a rod knock and or piston slap on Deceleration(sp?). The bike has been in the shop three times for this noise. I prior visits they have replaced the primary chain & gear(s), oil pump, cam bearings & gear(s), cam chain tensioner. This last time they pulled the motor split the cases, and spec'ed out the total bottom end of the motor. Everything is within tolerances, they have told me, and I quote" ride it 'till it breaks and we'll fix it", this does not give me warm fuzzies.

I am basically on my legs, the bike has been down for three months, I went with a Harley dealership using all harley parts, spending good money and I still have issues.

Has anybody run into this??
Can anybody point me to a person or info that may be able to help???

Thanks in advance,

Dyna boy...

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I went with the SE performance heads, 257 cams, and had Woods rebuild the carb. I'm not hearing the noises you describe, but just more engine noise. To me it sounds like the cams just simply make more noise.

I haven't had any problems, and the bike runs great. Are you fairly sure that it's related to the HTCC heads, or is it somewhere else?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Does the noise change in any way when you briefly pull a plug wire from one cylinder and then the other?

I know you said they changed the compensator sprocket, but now and then you find one where the nut that holds the compensator bottoms out either on the lip or in the bore. If so you can machine a little, say .030" off the nut or counterbore it a little deeper with a end mill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, thanks for your input. Harley figured out the the noise wasa due to the fact I had an early "style" right side main shaft Tempkin(sp?) bearing. It looks like the early models did not , for lack of a better word, "spring" seperating the right side bearings, this caused them to oscillate and produce the noise that I was hearing.

All is well, now, and Harley spent 48 man hours....Let's see 48 x $80 (per hour) = $3800, that was an expensive lesson, I am glad I did not have to foot the bill.

Thanks again for your advice and or input.

~Dyna Boy

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Did H-D give any explanation to the scope of the problem? Is this a specific model issue, or across the Twin Cam line. Since they covered the cost, did the dealer know if there was a recall of some type, or did they just suck it up because of the work they did?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts