V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
46 year old male here, married with 4 kids and 10 GRANDKIDS. Believe me, if I knew grandkids were this much fun, I'd had them FIRST!!!

Always wanted a Harley and was named for a friend of my dad's who was killed while riding one. Some Hawaiian fellow he knew in military named Nelson. Don't know if 1st or last name. Of course, mom always said, "Now you know who you were named after." when I talked about getting one.

Well, finally in Jan. 2001, my brother bought a Softail. I had always ragged on him when he was riding some other bikes, "Hey, you know for a few dollars more, you could've gotten a real bike." Used to PISS him off. :p Well, the bug raised it's ugly head again and I got the 'craving'. Kept talking about it and wife finally told me, "Look you've wanted one as long as I've know you(17 years at that point), the kids are grown and on their own, we can afford it so either make a decision or SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT IT." SO couple of days later I was at local independant shop filling out paperwork to buy a used Dyna Convertible (forged her name on papers.....:D ).

Picked bike up on trailer in a pouring rain. First we had in Georgia in almost 6 months. Rained just about every day for a week after that. Man, had I known that was going to happen, I'd bought bike couple of years back and ended this drought in GA.

Well, couple of months after getting it, one Sat. I was riding down to local license office to take the test. Had my leathers on because it was a cool kind of morning. I made turn onto a road heading west. The sun started warming me up(felt kinda GOOD) and about that time I went through about a 1 mile section where the honeysuckle was in bloom. If you've never ridden through large section of honeysuckle in bloom, I really can't describe the SWEET smell. It dawned on me at that point, "This is what it's supposed to be like."

Well, since then have traded the Dyna for a 2001 RK. It was better for riding 2-up with wife. Have had bike a little over a year & 16K+ miles on it so far. Most are from expressway riding to/from work.

Ride safe & ride often

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome Unome,

The RK is a real nice bike. Man 10 grand kids :) you must be one popular Grand-dad. That is cool I am just the little ones just love it. Welcome again to the board

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Are you the same Unome thats in and out of the JP Cycle Forums?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard,Unome!

Great intro,glad you joined us!

Must be great to have 10 grandkids & still be young enough to enjoy 'em,good for you!

Looking forward to your posts.
guido

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
dave51 said:
Are you the same Unome thats in and out of the JP Cycle Forums?
Yep, That's me....:D Dave51, is that name you use on JP?

My grandkids LOVE to ride the bike. Well, 2 haven't been on it yet because of age(2 months and 1 year old) but rest think it's cool. One grandson is hit of 2nd grade because I pick him up 3 - 4 times a month on it and kids go wild when they see me come in.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Yep, that's me but I don't post too much on JP. Too technical. I like to BS. Very good tech tips on JP though. I've only got one grandkid but you would swear there were 10 of them. We went 4 wheelin in the mud this past weekend. He's four and got a big charge out of it. His mom wasn't too thrilled when we got home and you couldn't even tell what color he was.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welcome Unome!

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dave51 said:
Yep, that's me but I don't post too much on JP. Too technical. I like to BS. Very good tech tips on JP though.
Yeah, some of it is too technical for me. But I'm going to learn how to do some things on my Road King so I don't have to pay H-D dealers. JP has good prices on stuff. Much better than paying the H-D prices :eek:

I've only got one grandkid but you would swear there were 10 of them. We went 4 wheelin in the mud this past weekend. He's four and got a big charge out of it. His mom wasn't too thrilled when we got home and you couldn't even tell what color he was.
Those moms can get a little out of control about kids. They sometimes just don't seem to understand about us grandpas and how we feel about our grandkids, huh? I never really knew either of my granddads. 1 died before I was born and other when I was about 6. I hear they were good men. I want to give my grandkids some fond memories of coming to our house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts