V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you can compare building an engine to building a deck/house it only costs a few more centavos for just a little more area...that said are parts more pricey and will a 98" work with a 37G if you keep the compression at the same place and do a mild job on the heads?

I really am grateful for the knowledge available here!!!

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
If you can compare building an engine to building a deck/house it only costs a few more centavos for just a little more area...that said are parts more pricey and will a 98" work with a 37G if you keep the compression at the same place and do a mild job on the heads?

sure it will....

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I did a 98 kit from HDwrench. I also bought the Andrews G-37 cams. The kit has gaskets for a 9.7/1 compression ratio. I sent my heads to him and he did a mild porting job as well. I can't find a good tuner in my area, but so far I'm getting about 90 foot pounds of torque until 3000 rpm where I start going way to rich. The kit is a great thing. I would buy it again tomorrow.

Best of Luck,

Stan

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Stashu11 said:
I did a 98 kit from HDwrench. I also bought the Andrews G-37 cams. The kit has gaskets for a 9.7/1 compression ratio. I sent my heads to him and he did a mild porting job as well. I can't find a good tuner in my area, but so far I'm getting about 90 foot pounds of torque until 3000 rpm where I start going way to rich. The kit is a great thing. I would buy it again tomorrow.

Best of Luck,

Stan
Stan there is a guy by the name of Brian Beckley working at Zepka Harley Davidson that will Dyno tune your bike in a heart beat. Hes good give him a call at 814-262-7777 its worth the trip and the price is right.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:

My sentiments exactly! 98" has got to be better!

All the best, Ozzie

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Doc,
You know of or can you recommend a tuner within 150 miles or so of Kansas City?

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
I know the only reason I did not go 98" was I had bought 4 mile takeoffs to send to have bored. I asked the same question Ozzie asked and the answer has not changed. I think that is why the 98 is not as popular. If you go to it or up you need new cylinders so at that point you got a lot of choices. Too many for me:wacko:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LAF said:
I know the only reason I did not go 98" was I had bought 4 mile takeoffs to send to have bored. I asked the same question Ozzie asked and the answer has not changed. I think that is why the 98 is not as popular. If you go to it or up you need new cylinders so at that point you got a lot of choices. Too many for me:wacko:
I'm beginning to get a fuller picture of the issue...sad that we can't just bore 'em out a little further...that does raise a few more issues...

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
98 or 95 comes down to money it really is not that much more but than again every ones budget is not the same. If you where to compare a 95 against the 98 with 37 g cams the 98 is a hands down winner. You are adding approx 500 more to the build but for the numbers and added TQ I love them. There are plenty of plus to go with that like the warranty, and so on.

They make very nice TQ at low RPMs Stan's bike above is making 97 at 2500 to get those number from a 95 you need serious head work a agressive cam , roller rockers, adjustable pushrods, and so on . Not the way with the 98 kit easy to install, VERY basic items need to have tons of fun on the street. If you look at a build making those numbers against the 98 the 98 is much less money, and simpler to do. Many are still finding out about the 98 as the 95 kits have been around for some years now.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HDWRENCH said:
If you look at a build making those numbers against the 98 the 98 is much less money, and simpler to do. Many are still finding out about the 98 as the 95 kits have been around for some years now.
Interesting way to view it...makes a lot of sense too...Where's your price list...I've already got the gears, pushrods and baisly spring but I'll need the cylinders, pistons, wrist pins, gaskets...etc...gotta decide who to use for the heads...I'm on a seriously limited budget that's why I'm looking at it this way, I hopefully won't have to do anything else to the engine for quite some time...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HDWRENCH said:
Drop me aline on the phone I can go over the the items need along with pricing, 602-722-7336
Sent a PM...thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
If I were building another motor today, with what I've learned here at VTF and HTT, I'd save the $500.00 extra I spent on Branch Flowmetrics ported heads (over a bigboyz street port) and put that toward the 98" kit. I too needed to watch the costs and the cost of a rebore of my cylinders ($100.00) and a set of pistons from branch ($250.00), looked like the much better option over the Axtell 97" and Millenium 98" kits around $1,000.00

Hey HDWrench, how long is that nikasil lining supposed to hold up anyway?

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Seahag said:
Hey HDWrench, how long is that nikasil lining supposed to hold up anyway?
The Nikasil stuff is not really new, been around for at least 30 years. My first bike, 50 cc 'Kreidler' had an all aluminum cylinder with Nikasil lining. Practically indestructible.

·
Legend in my own mind
157 Posts
gunnut said:
Doc,
You know of or can you recommend a tuner within 150 miles or so of Kansas City?
Sorry I'm a little behind here ... I've been travelling.

The *best* tuner I know of in this area is Kent out at Topeka H-D. I know there are others on the radio that are louder and prouder, but so far Kent is the only one that I'll recommend anyone to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts