V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear how any of you would handle the situation that I found myself in today.

So I'm on I-95 in the left lane doing 75. I had been watching this dumb ass in a big SUV weaving in and out, changing lanes, trying to go faster than the rest of us. Eventually I found myself right behind him in the left lane. ( It's a 2 lane divided highway ) As expected, he changes to the right lane and speeds up because 75mph ain't fast enough for him. Not long after getting into the right lane, he realizes that the left lane is going faster. When he moved to the right lane, I moved up and closed the gap that h e had left. Now he decides he's coming back to the left lane but there is no space for him. He looks at me and just turns into my lane along side of me. We're making eye contact and I'm blowing my horn and screaming at him as my piece of the road is rapidly getting narrower. There was a grass covered medium to my left but we've had alot of rain and I knew it would be very soft over there, so my only other option was to back off the throttle and let him have the lane. This was no accident. I am positive he saw me and his intent was to just muscle me out of the way. An added inconvenience was that the road was under construction and the two lanes were different heights. The left lane was about four inches higher than the right. Going from left lane to right was easy. Right to left a bit harder. The left lane was the new pavement.

So this is my question, what would your next move be if any.:confused:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'd like to hear how any of you would handle the situation that I found myself in today.

... He looks at me and just turns into my lane along side of me. We're making eye contact and I'm blowing my horn and screaming at him as my piece of the road is rapidly getting narrower. ...I am positive he saw me and his intent was to just muscle me out of the way. ...
Road rage will get the victim arrested as quickly as the agressor.

Best advice from me is to just get away from the jerk and let him crash with someone else participating instead of you.

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
As soon as I see a driver such as you've described, I put as big a space as possible between myself and them. Throttle back and let them get way ahead.

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
As much as I'd like to say follow him and kick the living sh!t out of him when he stops, it's probably not going to improve the situation. Assholes are going to be assholes. That said, I have been known to follow people like this for as long as I have time for just to make them think I might kick their ass. It's even more fun to hang back so you're not too obvious and wait for them to pull into their driveway or work parking lot and just cruise around making yourself visible.

Beyond all this, it probably wasn't the best idea having already known what the dumb ass was already doing to have gotten beside him with no place else to go besides braking. Easily could have had a tailgating asshole behind you in short order in that area and then you would have had an even more interesting time.

Had the same type thing happen to me on 684 near Greenwich when some scumbag in a big ass Beemer decided the left lane I was in beside him should be his. Same sh!t. We're looking at each other and he started moving into my lane. I held my ground and as soon as he got close enough I put my boot up like I was going to kick the side of his nice white car. He moved back into his lane pretty quick and stayed behind me all the way to his exit. Probably not smart on my part, but it sure was fun.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
The responsible, mature, correct and safest thing is to just back down, give him space, not flip him off, and not let it bother you.

I just wish I could live by my own words...

rkc

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
The responsible, mature, correct and safest thing is to just back down, give him space, not flip him off, and not let it bother you.

I just wish I could live by my own words...

rkc
Isn't that the truth.

It has gotten to just be routine to run into at least one asshat everytimie I go out.

Just gets to be where it isn't worth the effort anymore, ya just can't go out and fix stupid.

People that drive like that will eventually have it catch up with em, that is what I try to tell myself.

Ya did the right thing. Funny thing about it is that I'm sure that loser felt like a stud all day long about it, and anyone he told the story to hopefully saw him for the dick that he is.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Point your left index finger at him and raise and lower your thumb, then watch him backoff.
Worked for me on a trip to FL.
Don't be packing at the time just incase he calls the cops.

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
Sounds like a good time to exit for a cup of coffee or a cold drink, if I have the time.

If time doesn't allow, just cruise behind watching the circus play out in front of me. I feel the best place is wayyyy behind in this situation.

Best case scenario for getting to this driver is to then be an eyewitness for the cop investigating the ensuing crash. Give no quarter when relaying the story to the LEO, but try to remain objective...maybe he has the squirts from somebody else getting revenge by Exlax-ing his crappucino.

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
Funny thing about it is that I'm sure that loser felt like a stud all day long about it, and anyone he told the story to hopefully saw him for the dick that he is.
Usually is the case, but the real problem is these people breed. Only hope is they have a life changing experience before they can teach their offspring to be equally stupid.

·
Registered
765 Posts

So I'm on I-95 in the left lane doing 75. I had been watching this dumb ass in a big SUV weaving in and out, changing lanes, trying to go faster than the rest of us. Eventually I found myself right behind him in the left lane. ( It's a 2 lane divided highway ) As expected, he changes to the right lane and speeds up because 75mph ain't fast enough for him. Not long after getting into the right lane, he realizes that the left lane is going faster. When he moved to the right lane, I moved up and closed the gap that h e had left. Now he decides he's coming back to the left lane but there is no space for him. He looks at me and just turns into my lane along side of me. We're making eye contact and I'm blowing my horn and screaming at him as my piece of the road is rapidly getting narrower. There was a grass covered medium to my left but we've had alot of rain and I knew it would be very soft over there, so my only other option was to back off the throttle and let him have the lane. This was no accident. I am positive he saw me and his intent was to just muscle me out of the way. An added inconvenience was that the road was under construction and the two lanes were different heights. The left lane was about four inches higher than the right. Going from left lane to right was easy. Right to left a bit harder. The left lane was the new pavement.

I good rider would have never been in position you were in! You saw him coming and knew what his action patterns were in traffic, but you still let yourself get into a bad position. Next time slow down and put a lot space between you and him.

You are on a motorcycle, you have no right of way in traffic. You might have the legal right of way, but legal and dead is not good.

·
Registered
152 Posts
First of all, I ride under the premise of the "Lug Nut Theory." He with the most lug nuts wins and I give them the space needed. I couple of thoughts is when you see an aggressive or unsafe driver give them all the space needed because they will normally take it anyway. Second, don't ride in the blind spot of any vehicle, as the driver may not see you. Find a MSF student book and there is a great picture of where blind spots are. Either stay behind a vehicle or pass them and get in front, but don't ride along side of a vehicle if possible. Remember the lug nut theory.

I am convinced that other drivers will drive the same and do the same unsafe acts even if you were driving a car. That's just the way some folks drive. So, remember the lug nut theory, give the other vehicle plenty of space, and ride to be seen.

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
I am convinced that other drivers will drive the same and do the same unsafe acts even if you were driving a car. That's just the way some folks drive. So, remember the lug nut theory, give the other vehicle plenty of space, and ride to be seen.
No sh!t on that one. Had some asshat in a Scion Cube the other day that apparently thought he could win at a game of chicken with my Tundra. Was attempting to force me out of my lane ('attempting' is the operative word there). I would have let him in had I had a place to go, but being that wasn't the case I just enjoyed watching to see what kind of balls he had. Seemingly not enough, but then again I don't know why he ever thought he could win in the first place. I should have just driven over him.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I good rider would have never been in position you were in! You saw him coming and knew what his action patterns were in traffic, but you still let yourself get into a bad position. Next time slow down and put a lot space between you and him.

You are on a motorcycle, you have no right of way in traffic. You might have the legal right of way, but legal and dead is not good.
I could not have said it [email protected]:

·
FNG
1,132 Posts
I'm in CT, the drivers here are ridiculous. Consider your options. Call the man if that is your style, but it won't go anywhere I assure you. Follow him from a safe enough distance to his destination and cave his face in, you might or might not end up with some shiny new bracelets it all depends. Or let it go. When I ride, even with a fellow rider, I assume that everyone in a car is trying to kill me, but I’m pretty sure I was born paranoid.
~James

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I just had a simular situation in stop and crawl traffic. The right lane has to merge left into my lane in about 75 feet. Some jerk 3 cars behind me moves into the right merge lane and drives up next to me. He then starts driving into me trying to squeeze me into the car on my left. I'm laying on the horn and he's got his left arm out his window close enough for me to touch and he's screaming at me and giving me the finger!! There was nothing I could do except brake and let him force his way in front of me. Once we got moving again I thought how much better I would feel if I got in front of him and made a very quick exit just after accidentally tossing a couple of old sparkplugs up in the air.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just had a simular situation in stop and crawl traffic. The right lane has to merge left into my lane in about 75 feet. Some jerk 3 cars behind me moves into the right merge lane and drives up next to me. He then starts driving into me trying to squeeze me into the car on my left. I'm laying on the horn and he's got his left arm out his window close enough for me to touch and he's screaming at me and giving me the finger!! There was nothing I could do except brake and let him force his way in front of me. Once we got moving again I thought how much better I would feel if I got in front of him and made a very quick exit just after accidentally tossing a couple of old sparkplugs up in the air.
I prefer the lug nut theory.... they are more likely to fly up in the air than spark plugs. Never seen a plug fall out of an engine going down the road. Lug nuts on the other hand:whistle:

I have also always thought a large axle nut wrench in reach while riding would be a great attention piece and keep pesky cagers in their lane. Don't forget those of you in open carry states the deterent of a shoulder rig.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts