V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much wind you can take while riding and still enjoy the ride? I was going to ride into work today, a 34 mile commute, but I decided against it when I saw how much the wind was moving the trees. The wind is going about 20mph with gusts up to 30mph. I just decided that I didn't want to fight the entire ride.

What's your limit?

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Th OL forewarned me on the wind this morning too. It was about 25 MPH with gusts over 30. I still went in. The headwinds are bad, but the crosswinds when you're going 60 can be the most troublesome if you're not ready for em.

I like riding too much. Of course if there's a gale or something I am always thinking twice. I susually end up riding though. It just makes it a little more of a workout

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
It was windy here yesterday also.

I haven't really ever thought about not riding because of the wind before.

:cool:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
'bout 70MPH. Oh you mean cross winds? ^rolleyez^ Never been an issue for me. Sure, I've been blown in the other lane, but hey, that's part of the ride.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MegaGlide said:
Gee, that's kind of like asking about a bad blowjob.
Less enjoyable, perhaps, but still...
Ok, ok...I guess I'm just being a pu$$y...but I'm a new rider so I'm still a little hesitant in less than perfect conditions.

I won't let the wind be a factor again unless I see a dog flying by.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as saying you're dragging your vagina around, but I am sure you'll find that as time goes by the burning desire to be on the asphalt will be MUCH larger then any kind of wind factor.

Life is like riding, if you over-analyze it you'll be on your chapped a$$ before you know it! :eek:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Anything above 30mph can make a ride challenging at times, having a windshield can help especially with head on winds so you don't get beat up too much, you may still get white knuckles though. I hit some 60mph winds in South Dakota that pushed me to the shoulder on the opposite side of the road in oncoming traffic, scared the crap out of me. I had the bike leaning hard and was skidding and hopping sideways. After 3 hours I was exausted and got a room for the night.

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Like sthorp. I have ridden in situations where you couldn't stay in your lane or even two lanes for that matter. That's about my limit. I don't know what that comes out to in windspeed but it's pretty knarly. To put it in perspective I rode to work the day after Wilma and there were 20-30 mph gusts but no problems going down the Parkway on the RK although I did keep it around 60 mph that day. I would guess that anything above 35 mph would not be fun.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
I had a situation where a mental lapse on my own part left me in the middle lane between 2 gravel haulers going over 65PMH. I was getting bashed from the left and right as the air bounced off the trains and hit little ole me in the middle. I thought I was going to get creamed.

One of the truckers with an HD sticker on his winshield backed off and gave me a window to get out of the lane.

I guess that passes as being a little more windy then I would have liked.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
PowerCobra98 said:
Just wondering how much wind you can take while riding and still enjoy the ride? I was going to ride into work today, a 34 mile commute, but I decided against it when I saw how much the wind was moving the trees. The wind is going about 20mph with gusts up to 30mph. I just decided that I didn't want to fight the entire ride.

What's your limit?

I agree. Gusts over 30 mph make things darn uncomfortable. Since I'm currently riding a Wing, which doesn't allow air to flow throw like a V-twin design, the bike moves like a sail when a wind gust hits it!:xhere: Jumping over 3 to 5 feet on the payment. What FUN!:wacko: An occasional gust is one thing, continued high winds are another.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Man, y'all need to spend some time in North Dakota.
If you don't ride in the wind on those 4 good riding days up there, you don't ride...

The only consolation is that the wind does die off when it hits 30 below.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I usually pull over to clean the crap out of my jockies when I get pushed over to the oncoming lanes and the rain is horizontal .

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
We had sustained winds of 40-50 mph with gusts up to 82 mph yesterday.. I can tell you that was to windy to ride..

W

1 - 20 of 28 Posts