V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
'05 Road King Classic
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched some of the other threads on satellite radio installation and haven't quite found what I'm looking for regarding power to an XM radio receiver. J&M has a kit for the Road King and that's probably what I'm looking for but I'd like to know how that kit gets power?

Does it go through the accessory connector behind the headlight or to the accessory plug under the seat? Or am I completely off base here (versus my rocker of course)? I'm just curious right now but not having done this before nor having the kit in hand to look at I'm at a disadvantage for know how it works.

Thanks,
Dennis E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Which kit from J & M are looking at for the RK Classic?

I have MYFI XM radio and for long rides I have a Ram mount that mounts using the console screw (from 2wheelradio.com). I then run the antenna under the seat to the luggage rack. For power I have an accessory pulg mounted under the seat in front of the battery and use the cigarette adaptor that came with the radio.

Since the battery on the MyFi will last about 4-5 hours power isn't ussually problem around town so I just slip in the backrest and use ear buds.


Mike
 

·
'05 Road King Classic
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
labcab said:
Which kit from J & M are looking at for the RK Classic?

Mike
It is the DXM-MKHS kit I'm looking at. The problem is that the cigarette adaptor is not for the Road King Classic according to the HD catalog.

Dennis E.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
68 Posts
Dennis,

They do make an direct wire set up for XM receivers. They are a bit much at about 45.00. Your best bet is to install an accessory outlet and use the included 12V cord.

Whatever you do, do not cut the power cord and wire it direct as the XM receivers are 6V



Gunny
 

·
'05 Road King Classic
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
w4egv said:
Dennis,

They do make an direct wire set up for XM receivers. They are a bit much at about 45.00. Your best bet is to install an accessory outlet and use the included 12V cord.
Gunny
Gunny,

Who is "they"?

Thanks,
Dennis E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Though don't expect to use the outlet to use any battery operated items. I installed one, kind of a sweet set up job too, on my FXST intending to keep my PDA/GPS charged while in use. Nada. Only the big tourers have the upgraded charging system that could handle something like that. Usually what happens is a get a reverse charge and my device battery get's sucked dry faster. Items that don't have a battery work fine though though it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
deisenbraun said:
It is the DXM-MKHS kit I'm looking at. The problem is that the cigarette adaptor is not for the Road King Classic according to the HD catalog.

Dennis E.
That's the one I'm using on my 05 RK Classic.... I simply plug the 12V outlet into the accessory plug under the seat and plug the 12V power cord into it.. HD says to mount it into the side panel but I just wrapped the plug & connectors with electrical tape to prevent any possible grounding and leave it in under the seat in front of the battery compartment... and when I don't need the outlet I unplug it, put the cover back on the plug, and remove the outlet from the bike.. I have had no problems with this set up


Mike
 

·
'05 Road King Classic
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
labcab said:
That's the one I'm using on my 05 RK Classic.... I simply plug the 12V outlet into the accessory plug under the seat and plug the 12V power cord into it.. HD says to mount it into the side panel but I just wrapped the plug & connectors with electrical tape to prevent any possible grounding and leave it in under the seat in front of the battery compartment... and when I don't need the outlet I unplug it, put the cover back on the plug, and remove the outlet from the bike.. I have had no problems with this set up


Mike
Mike,

Let me get this straight: Which 12V outlet are you talking about that you initially plug into the accessory plug under the seat? Is this the cigarette lighter style or is it something else. Sorry to sound like such a moron but its hard talking about various parts without a diagram or pictures and it is easy to misunderstand words.

Thanks again,
Dennis E.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
337 Posts
I am with labcab on this one... same thing I do.

There is an accessory plug under the seat. This plug connects to the HD cigarette lighter accessory port (purchased from HD, of course).

So, go buy the cigarette accessory port from HD and then hook it up to your bike under the seat. :D

Use the XM car adapter (12V to 6V converter cigarette accessory plug) and plug it into the HD cigarette accessory port. Now you have power, and there was no cutting, splicing, connecting directly to the battery, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Dennis,
That is the same plug that I used.. I just wrapped the outlet itself with electrical tape, plugged it in to the accessory plug under the seat, tucked it in in front of the battery box, and plugged the radio into it using the 12v power cord. The radio mounts to the console screw using a ram mount (about $40) and I just use ear buds to listen.


Good luck
Mike
 

·
'05 Road King Classic
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all who responded. I've got a pretty good handle on this now and have certainly learned a thing or two.

Thanks,
Dennis E.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31 Posts
Bigguy39 said:
I use the HD 91843-97 kit. It's one of the few things that doesn't seem too overpriced
The HD kit you refer to says it's not for the RK Classic... anyone know why that is?
 

·
'05 Road King Classic
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RKRick said:
The HD kit you refer to says it's not for the RK Classic... anyone know why that is?
RkRick,

I think I have this sorted out and now some of the above comments make more sense to me - I just didn't quite know what they were talking about....

The cigarette lighter type power cord will plug into the accessory outlet under the seat just fine. Why it is not meant for the Road King Classic is because there is no place to put the female end and the metal sides will ground out the circuit if you touch metal on the bike. However, if you electrically insulate the metal casing to prevent this you will have a handy-dandy power outlet for XM radio, cell phone charging, and possibly power for a portable beer brewing system!:beer:

Cheers,
Dennis E.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top