V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Softail Standard and I need to tighten the steering head bearings. My question is, do i need to take the top of the triple tree assembly to tighten the bearing? I see the nut on the top with the lockwasher. Under that is the piece that is the top of the triple tree that holds the tops of the fork tubes and the handlebar risers attach to. Under that I assume is the actually nut. Do I need to take that top piece off? I have the factory service manual, but it's vague on this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are you tightening them because of that irritating clunk when you go over sharp bumps such as rail road tracks? I so, there's been a lot of discussion on this sight about that subject. Just search the forum for the word "clunk". I had that problem on my 2001 Night Train. I read that the torque specs on the large nut (not the adjuster nut) had been changed to 100 FT lbs. I retorqued mine and it works like a charm. Of course, check fall away after you're done. If that's not your problem....sorry I bored you. I didn't mess with the adjuster nut.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No clunk, just a little wobbly at certain speeds during de-acceleration. I want to adjust the fall away. But thanks for the info.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Actually you can loosen everything per manual and take a small punch to drive the knurled nut tighter, then retighten and check fall away.
As far as the clunk i will check for clearence issues at the top of the triple tree and shim if neeeded then retorque to about 75 ft lbs.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have billet wheels. I had the same issue on the laced wheels. I believe it's that knurled nut that I need to tighten. Does the top of the triple tree need to come of to tighten it?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
you have to loosen the pinch bolts on the lower tree and yes the knurled nut is what needs to be tightened.it doesn't need much tho. mine needed less than 1/8 turn but yours could be different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts