V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I didn't find it....

I just bought a set of dealer take-offs to keep in case I need them some day. The tins are off an '04 - '05 DWG and are in perfect condition. They were shipped in the HD boxes that the custom tins came in. The seller cleaned them well and wrapped them in bubble wrap and I'm wondering if I can just leave them in their boxes or if they need to breathe? They are at least a year old and the paint has since cured. So... will they be damaged if I leave them wrapped and boxed and store them in a safe, dry place for long term... maybe years?

What's the opinion on this subject Paint Gurus?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I'm not a paint guru but I have seen and used painted parts that have been in boxes for years, I still buy glass and steel painted parts (NOS) from the 70s that is in the original bxs.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
I'd like to hear some more opinions on this myself. I currently have my original tins sitting on a shelf in my garage, which is probably not the best for long term storage.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I don't think storing them away in a box will hurt them at all. I would make sure they are wrapped in a soft cloth first. I would not let any plastic or bubble wrap directly touch the paint.

·
Registered
304 Posts
1000 Posts!!!!

Congrats on reachin 1k. In just a little over a year...:xhere:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Livin in this part of texas

It's a great place for long term storage here. No salts on the road and nothing to cause any rust except pool chemicals. I think storing them in the box in the garage would suffice as long as you don't store any harsh cemicals near them (fertilizers, pool chemicals...etc). Better yet get a custom paint job always wanted and swap out the tins on your bike and store them.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
amidaeus said:
It's a great place for long term storage here. No salts on the road and nothing to cause any rust except pool chemicals. I think storing them in the box in the garage would suffice as long as you don't store any harsh cemicals near them (fertilizers, pool chemicals...etc). Better yet get a custom paint job always wanted and swap out the tins on your bike and store them.
Well to make a long story short.......well, kinda short. That's sort of what I did. Got a custom HD set for dirt cheap then I got cocky and decided that I wouldn't need the stock tins so I dumped them on eBay. Sold them for 500 plus. Then after a few months of thinking about it, I remembered that the '04s and '05s are sort of basturds in the Dyna line up. They changed the tanks and frames on the Dyna line in '04 and carried the design into '05. Then for '06 they changed the frame again. I'm pretty sure '06 stuff won't work without some tweaking. I think the '03 and back will work with some mods but why do that when you can get a brand new set ready to go? That got me to thinking I might want another take-off set just in case I puked her out or if I ever find that custom paint nirvana we are always looking for.

Picked up a brand new dealer take-off from a '05 on eBay for $300. So I still came out ahead money wise and if I need them... they're there in the attic ripe for picking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts