V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had some Hot Toppers on my bike and I absolutely hate them now. I finally got a set of Stainless Steel replacement bolts for my engine and I wanted to put them on. I started taking off all the Hot Crappers and noticed it was taking WAY too long. It was a pain in the royal arse.

Being that my father always taught me if a small hammer doesn't work, grab a larger one I came up with the screw driver and hammer removal technique for Hot Crappers.

Step one: Try to take off a few using the "lets save them and give them to a friend" technique. This will get you in the mood for quick removal and I don't care if I destroy them all.

Step one will take about 5 minutes unless you took prozac earlier in the day in which it will take 6 minutes.

Step two: Walk over to tool box and grab hammer and flat headed screw driver. (cursing under your breath at the inventor of hot toppers helps to calm the shaking of hands so you can open the drawer and retrieve said objects.

Step three: Walk back over to bike and position screw driver in the center of the first of many Hot Topper victims.

Step Four: Hit end of screw driver with hammer about two times and split Hot Topper right in two.

Step Five: Repeat Step Four until all of those demons are removed from the bike never to return again.

Step six: Sit back and admire your work. (Beer or other beverage of choice is nice to have to relax knowing you have done your bike justice by removing such horrible items from your bike.)

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I've got them on my bike as well. While it does take longer than your method, I find it doesn't take me too long to wiggle them off with two TINY screwdrivers (flat blade of course). Sometimes when I have problems getting them started, I use a right angles pick tool. Once I get the point of the pick behind it and wiggle a bit, the screwdrivers can take over.

I had all of the bolt covers on my primary off in a matter of a few minutes.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Seahag said:
I've got them on my bike as well. While it does take longer than your method, I find it doesn't take me too long to wiggle them off with two TINY screwdrivers (flat blade of course). Sometimes when I have problems getting them started, I use a right angles pick tool. Once I get the point of the pick behind it and wiggle a bit, the screwdrivers can take over.

I had all of the bolt covers on my primary off in a matter of a few minutes.
I've only got them on my rocker box cover bolts, but ditto the approach.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
I had to look up what a Hot Topper is, but I can understand your frustration.

The rule of thumb I use is to never install anything on my bike that I have to order from a website that uses Flash animation.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Step One: Never install them in the first place, because anything you have to remove to get to a screw or bolt is a waste of time and money.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Snaps said:

The rule of thumb I use is to never install anything on my bike that I have to order from a website that uses Flash animation.

But let me say in my defense, I used the HD bolt covers, not the "Hot" ones.

and I've only taken the rocker covers off once in three years and it took less time for all of those bolt covers, than for one piston pin circlip. :)

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I also removed mine, using the time-tested hammer and screwdriver method, that is, the ones that didn't crack or split in the first place when I put them on:badmood:

·
Banned
873 Posts
I removed my cam cover, front sprocket cover, and rocker tops last week. I easily removed all 22 hot toppers with:

*drum roll* A pair of needle-nose pliers!*

*put a rag between your topper and the pliers to avoid damage.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
LittleBear said:
Step One: Never install them in the first place, because anything you have to remove to get to a screw or bolt is a waste of time and money.
I am with you on that 100% now. When you check the price of the darn things versus replacing your all your bolts with stainless (that will never rust) it turns out to be a no brainer. I just wish that is what I had done in the first place. I will NEVER put those stupid things on anything again. I would rather look at an ugly (but easily removeable) bolt. Removing hot toppers are a waste of time.

BTW. I used the dental type tools and got the primary off with damaging them, but when I tried to get some of the others off that were in tighter to get to locations they were not coming off. I tried screwdrivers, etc.

My method works. :) Bust the stupid things in half and go on with your day. :)

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
:yikes: I posted earlier today on this thread, then immediately erased it thinking I might unduly offend someone. But, I can't control myself any longer. I only have one thought when I see (or hear about) hot-toppers, and it's: :hystria: :hystria: :hystria: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

Lefty

·
Banned
873 Posts
Why all the hate for hot toppers? I'd rather spend $20 to cover my bolt heads than $200 for a new set of bolts.

(Yeah, $200 was about the going rate when I was trying to decide which way to go.)

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Homarr said:
Why all the hate for hot toppers? I'd rather spend $20 to cover my bolt heads than $200 for a new set of bolts.

(Yeah, $200 was about the going rate when I was trying to decide which way to go.)
If you buy one of the full sets of hot toppers they run 100 bucks roughly. If you get the same bolt kit I just ordered that is a full replacement in polished stainless you can get it for 100.24 is what I paid.

I suppose it depends on how many of the little buggers you buy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Snaps said:
It got me looking too. The local shop calls them "chromed caps". :)
Hot Toppers is a specific brand name, like Crescent(wrench).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Fatb0y said:
If you buy one of the full sets of hot toppers they run 100 bucks roughly. If you get the same bolt kit I just ordered that is a full replacement in polished stainless you can get it for 100.24 is what I paid.

Where did you buy the bolt kit?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I've always wondered why the hot topper are so damn high. $100.00 for little chrome plastic thingies. FFS

·
Banned
873 Posts
Fatb0y said:

Yeah, I bought 40 @ $.50 each. Only got what I needed for the rocker tops, cam cover, front sprocket cover, and primary cover. I didn't look into polished stainless bolts though. Maybe I should have...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts