V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to lock the cam gears if you can't use the primary or transmission to lock it? I didn't buy a tool last time, I just can't remember how I did it. I now have S&S gears, can't remember how to remove the bolts. Last time I used puller to remove S&S gear. Can't remember if I used the holes and threaded a bolt in.

Will take better notes this time.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am wondering if I shoved something like wood or plastic, like when locking the primary chain. I am just spacing what I did. There aere some cheap tool replacements for the Harley gear and chain set ups. I am not sure if that would fit with the S&S ghear drive.

Googling this, all the discussions are, you don't need to the tool. Just use the brake. That assumes your engine is in your bike. Last I had the primary off.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tywrap worked really good. Tywrap is probably better on gears, softer. A big deal dunno. I was going to use chunk of wood or plastic..

Used longer one on top one, let it stand against bench. Could have used second hand to feed tywrap in and hold engine while cranking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
... or a tightly rolled trash bag with a zip tie around it, then jam the wad between the gears. Won't hurt the teeth and worst case scenario, you have to pull a few pieces of plastic from a tooth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts