V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at the port shop and waiting for Bean to finish cutting a head. I took a few picture and figured I would put together a thread.

I have seen people mention buying heads and not getting the year they expected. So here is a post to help you identify the heads.

1.) Year Cast. This represents the actual year the head was cast.

2.) Shows the first Model year this part number was available for. The 99-05 castings all have -99.

3.) Front, Indicates the which head it is. The other option is Rear as shown on some of the other pictures.

In this picture you can see the year of casting is 2000 and could have come off a late 2000 OR early 2001 model.

This was cast in 04 and takes the later valve seals and has guides for 7mm valve stems. This means it is for a model year 2005 bike.

Note this picture shows a new part year designation of -06. This means it is from a 2006 model year and has the new style ports. Year of casting is 2005.

Here is the your pop quiz. What is this head? :roflback:

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
103" head??

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the intake manifold flange part numbers
Intake flange part# 26993-06 $2.55 each through Zanotti
Seals for flange# 26995-86B $1.57 each through Zanotti

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
This is good stuff Springer!

I know the 05 heads are less desireable than previous years due to smaller ports. You mention the redesign of the 06 heads. Are 06 heads better performers in stock configuration than 04 and prior? or is it 6 of one, half dozen of the other?

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Rockbiter said:
This is good stuff Springer!

I know the 05 heads are less desireable than previous years due to smaller ports
Actually the '05 heads are the best ones to start with if you are going to be porting/polishing them.

They are Beans favorites..........he can explain it better then I can.

Sure am glad I have an '05.

Steve

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
MWALTON said:
Very interesting stuff. What make the 05' heads better to start with?
The valve stems are smaller, and in turn the valve guides are smaller.........which results in better flow thru the ports due to less mass in the path.

The valve spring retainers are lighter, which results in less moving mass.

There is something with the beehive valve springs also, but can't remember exactly.

The intake and exhaust ports are smaller to start with, but after the porting job they are just as good as any other head.

There is a post online from Bean about this, if I can find it I'll post the link. Maybe Springer will know which post I'm talking about and post it.

Hope that helps out a little.

Steve

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Great info Springer!! Thanks Never looked at a set of noggins that close before, so, who cast these heads? I don't recognize the "P" with a chicken in the middle symbol.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
This thread should make classic, just for the info.

·
Speed Addict
467 Posts
Bruce Woltz said:
So DT, who did those heads? They ain't stock HD. Kind a cross between ol' SnS super stock and tapered quench. Bruce
Good call. They aren't S&S, but they are not factory. They are definitely going to be run on a TC, though. They are a set done by one of the sponsors here for an upcoming build that will allegedly run, "pretty well". I realized after the fact that this thread contains great reference information and I should have started a new thread since this one will likely be stickied. I will start a new thread on this build for anyone who might want to follow it.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Thanks Springer.........I didn't know you had posted that info here, I know I had seen it on the other forum.

That does really settle the " '05 heads suck" theory.

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts