V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a no brainer,but just need some opinions;
Back in Sep.,rode our Softail all week,and Sat.Come down Sun. morning,front tire is flat as flat could be.Pump it up,look for a nail;nothing.Go riding Sun. and all week.Following Sun. tire is flat again.Pump it up.and has been fine ever since.Checked the pressure,and hasnt dropped below 38psi,(filled it to 40.)
I was just gonna drop it off at the stealer and have a new tube installed.Anyone ever have this happen to them?Thanks in advance,Mark.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Check the valve stem core. It could be loose or leaking.
No other ideas. I have never had an intermintent leak.
Maybe best to replace the tube and have the tire inspected so it does not leave you stranded somwhere or worse deflate while riding.

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
Spend the $$$ to have checked out by a professional, if the tech can't find any issues still have him replace the tube. I am sure your life is more valuable than a $100 service bill. If that front tire went down while you were riding at 60 mph, not sure if you could get the bike stopped before crashing it.

Preventive Maintenance is Priceless

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I agree with checking the valve stem core. I had a similiar experience and after adding air a couple times after the tire went flat, the third time the valve stem broke off in my hand just as I went to add air to the tire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.I`m gonna check it in the dunk tank at work.Then bring it in to get the tube replaced.I dont care about the money,just wanna get it fixed.Thanks again,Mark.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Check the valve IN the stem. I checked my pressure, then rode. When I was almost back, the tire went down to 5psi. Turned out to be the valve in the stem. tighten it or replace it. Then check with soapy water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts