V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to find out what recalls apply to your bike and what ones have been done? I bought a used 2006 but have no history on the bike.

Thanks
Steve

·
Iron Butt
1,124 Posts
there is a website you can go to and input your make and model.

I will try and remember and post it but if you do a google search it may come up.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Cant u put ur VIN in on the HD website and pull up the recalls

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I know that the local BMW dealer will check when a bike is brought in for servicing and see if the owner of the bike is the same or different from what they have in the BMW database for possible recalls, etc. If it is different, they ask if you want the data updated. I don't know if HD or other bike/car dealers do this but they should.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any good dealer/service center will look for Service Actions, Recalls or Service Bulletins related to your machine if it's the first time they have sen it. This supports you the customer to ensure you get the best value for your money and to be honest, Recalls performed by an authroized dealer are 'cash' for the dealer & tech. The factory is paying for it so why wouldn't they perform the campaign. If nothing else, it's an easy way to earn the customer's repeat business, the dealer is actually looking out for me without reaching into my pocket. Just good business IMO.

Yes, I'm in the service business and yet to find someone who refused FREE repairs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Let me get your thoughts/suggestions on this.

When I entered my VIN on the HD recall web site to register & see any recalls, it consistently comes back with "VIN IS INVALID. PLEASE RETRY. IF YOUR VIN IS PRE-1981, PLEASE CHOOSE THE YEAR/MODEL OPTION FOR ADDING YOUR BIKE." And I'm stopped.

I tried again & again. Same thing with VIN. So I tries entering 2004/FXDP, 2004/Dyna Defender FXDP, etc. etc. etc.

Same result every time. Harley apparently thinks my bike doesn't exist. Or could it be because it was mfg/sold as a police-issue only product?

It's so old now, I'm not real concerned about any applicable recalls going forward, but I am a bit surprised that the MoCo does not recognize my bike. Maybe I should try to sell it to the CIA?

Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Stop in your local dealer they will be happy to run it for you.
Money in the bank for them if there are any out standing they get paid to do it.
You may have heard different but HD is pretty darn good at taking care of recalls

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will this website also tell you if there has been any service performed at the dealership under warranty or otherwise?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this is a pretty old thread but there has been a change in the HD web site that applies.
The original link still works for recalls, this new link gives you access to more information. This link will give you Recall information, Owners Manuals, Parts Diagrams and Electrical Diagrams for your bike, model years 1981 on.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/vehicle/lookupForm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts