·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi New to forum and HD Brand

Just purchased an 03 softail twin cam with 4000 miles

Never received an owners manual and
only had *** bikes before.

Quick question does anyone have detailed instructions on how to properly change engine oil and filter as well as recommended viscosity and capacity

Thanks in Advance

George

·
Registered
248 Posts
getting info.

try running a search on this site, I have found a lot of stuff that way.

...also, the service manual, while expensive (around $50) was the best money I ever spent on my bike... I learned so much about the mechanics of it.

in the lubricants section of this site, again, you will get all kinds of "discourse" re. viscosity/ synth vs. dino ...etc

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
go to the dealer get 4 qaurts of screaming eagle syth 3 oil and HD filter. a manual as recomended would be wise. ride bike around 20 miles to warm up engine oil before draining oil. take oil drain plug out and then filter off. let it drain real well. small amount of oil on filter gasket, put oil filter on, drain plug back in. put 3 qaurts in, check level, and add oil to full level on dip stick, most likely 1/2 quart, don't overfill. clean oil off your bike with some s100 cleaner, you can get that at the dealer as well. take for a 20 mile ride and recheck oil level.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gmly,
Did my first oil change last week. I also have metric bikes including a dirt bike (WR450F) which has many plugs for draining the oil. I thought the Road King may have the two on the bottom of the pan. Looked at pictures in the book which showed two drain plugs....and didn't bother reading those little marks called letters that one was the tranny fluid.....Needless to say I also recommend the owners manual.
The oil plug is the one closest to the kick stand on the second pan back. Just in case, I suggest 1 quart of tranny fluid, it uses 16 ounces a change. You can use Bel Ray 10-85? Hybred in a pinch......
I am learning so much !)

If you don't already have them, purchase yourself a set of allen wenches (SAE) because that is all HD uses and it can be fustrating getting halfway through a project and realizing you need a 5/8 head and don't have one in the tool box.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
gmly said:
Hi New to forum and HD Brand

Just purchased an 03 softail twin cam with 4000 miles

Never received an owners manual and
only had *** bikes before.

Quick question does anyone have detailed instructions on how to properly change engine oil and filter as well as recommended viscosity and capacity

Thanks in Advance

George

Welcome to the Forum.

The Owner's Manual, Service Manual (s) and Parts Manual specific to your model and year bike are all available (may have to order) from your Harley dealer. The manuals are WELL worth the money. You will need them when performing service on your bike.

You may find servicing your bike to be easier than your previous Japanese motorcycles especially if you had to adjust valve clearances.

If you search the Forum you will find LOTS of oil threads. I just use Harley-Davidson's recommended "Syn 3" synthetic oil for the motor, transmission, and primary. I also use the HD oil filter.

Pretty straight forward but get the manuals. (The Parts Manual will be especially helpful when dealing with the parts folks at the dealer.)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Owners is well written so any one can follow. Though they do not show the drain plug real good. But its the best manual I have read.

Also the oil will go up after you get it hot. But has to be real hot. Go for 20 min ride. Touring bikes typically hold 4qts, manual says 3.5.

Get the manual. If you are ready for oil change there are other things to do too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help!!

Thanks for the input I have a firm grasp on what to do

George

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
everythingZen said:
There is also the engine crankcase drain plug.

·
Sportster Aficionado
60 Posts
everythingZen said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Softails have an oil bag and you must drain them
from a hose that is dead ended on the chassis. It is a "Dry sump" system.
The Dressers and Dyna's are "Wet sump" and drain from a pan on the
bottom of the motor. There are 2 drain plugs in the pan and a different one
is used on either the Dresser or Dyna due to the different kick stand positions.

·
Banned
169 Posts
mrjim said:
If I'm not mistaken, the Softails have an oil bag and you must drain them
from a hose that is dead ended on the chassis. It is a "Dry sump" system.
The Dressers and Dyna's are "Wet sump" and drain from a pan on the
bottom of the motor. There are 2 drain plugs in the pan and a different one
is used on either the Dresser or Dyna due to the different kick stand positions.
All Big Twins and Sportsters are "Dry Sump". The oil supply of the baggers and Dynas is also stored away from the motor sump in a separate area, the only real difference being terminology. The sump of a H-D motor is the area directly below the flywheel within the crankcases. This area is kept "dry" at all times by the scavenge pump regardless of whether it's a Softail or Dyna

One remote storage area is called a tank because of it's enclosed shape and the other is called a pan because of it's open top before being bolted to the underside of the transmission. This is a completely different arrangement than what is found on a typical auto engine where the oil pan is directly below the crankshaft and contains the oil (always there) in "wet sump" fashion. FYI

:cheers:

·
Registered
338 Posts
when you put the filter on make sure you fill the filter itself at least half way with oil b4 you screw it on as it will not take as long to fill after you start the bike

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I don't see how you can fill a filter half-way, turn it horizontal, and not lose oil. Maybe it's because I've never tried it. :hmmm:

P.S. George....Try using a large aluminum (foil) pan...like a turkey pan, for catching your oil. You can position it to catch your crankcase, tranny, and primary all at once if you want. Cost about $3 at any supermarket...it's about
3 - 4 inches high and slides right under your bike. Also, use the new filter box to make a "channel" for the oil to run into the pan when you remove the filter. With just a little practice you won't spill a single drop on the deck. This is where the size of the turkey pan comes in handy also.

Good luck, GET THAT MANUAL, and enjoy working on your bike....and TAKE YOUR TIME.....don't over-torque.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
640 Posts
Been filling my filters for years while servicing customers vehicles, horizontal types you can fill half way without any problem. Did my new RG the other day the same way and all worked out well, just need a steady hand and good aim to the mount. The oil filter box trick worked very well, ran out towards the left floor-board (missed it thank god) and dropped into the little filter drain pan I made from the bottom of a windshield washer fluid jug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts