V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decipher the Power Commander's map for my 2006 Street Glide and need some input.

Before the 2006 maps were released I was using a map on their site for a 2005 Touring bike (Khrome-Werks Touring Slip Ons / SE Air Filter / Stock ECM). When the released the new 2006 maps I found one for the same setup. When comparing the two maps it looks like the '06 map is leaner than the '05 map. Especially at the higher throttle positions throughout the RPM ranges. I've also noticed on the '05 map the ignition timing has been increased by 3 degrees @ 80% throttle and 4 degrees @ 100% throttle while the '06 map doesn't adjust the timing at all.

So my question to the forum is:

What does advancing the timing do at the higher throttle positions? How does timing interact with the richer fuel mixture? Is that why the fuel mixture is greater than the '06 map? How does the 2006 throttle body affect the map (more air/less air thru)?

Overall I haven't really noticed the bike running much different with either map installed. It doesn't miss at all, but IMHO the bike seems to run a little stronger with the 2005 map at the higher RPM ranges when at WOT.

·
Banned
48 Posts
So my question to the forum is:

What does advancing the timing do at the higher throttle positions?
SOME COMBINATIONS WILL ACCEPT MORE TIMING. MANY TIMES YOU CAN BUMP H-D'S TIMING A DEGREE OR THREE AT THE HIGH END OF THE 100 RUN AND GET A LITTLE GAIN

How does timing interact with the richer fuel mixture? Is that why the fuel mixture is greater than the '06 map?
THE O6 EFI BIKES HAVE DIFFERENT THROTTLE BODIES AND DIFFERENT INJECTORS. THE SETTINGS YOU ARE INTERPRETING AS LEANER JUST BECAUSE THE NUMBERS ARE LOWER IN THE PC MAP COULD EVEN ACTUALLY BE THE SAME OR A LITTLE RICHER.

How does the 2006 throttle body affect the map (more air/less air thru)?
MORE AIR THROUGH OVERALL

Overall I haven't really noticed the bike running much different with either map installed. It doesn't miss at all, but IMHO the bike seems to run a little stronger with the 2005 map at the higher RPM ranges when at WOT.[/QUOTE]

What does advancing the timing do at the higher throttle positions?
SOME COMBINATIONS WILL ACCEPT MORE TIMING. MANY TIMES YOU CAN BUMP H-D'S TIMING A DEGREE OR THREE AT THE HIGH END OF THE 100 RUN AND GET A LITTLE GAIN

How does timing interact with the richer fuel mixture? Is that why the fuel mixture is greater than the '06 map?
THE O6 EFI BIKES HAVE DIFFERENT THROTTLE BODIES AND DIFFERENT INJECTORS. THE SETTINGS YOU ARE INTERPRETING AS LEANER JUST BECAUSE THE NUMBERS ARE LOWER IN THE PC MAP COULD EVEN ACTUALLY BE THE SAME OR A LITTLE RICHER.

How does the 2006 throttle body affect the map (more air/less air thru)?
MORE AIR THROUGH OVERALL

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Very generally speaking......

if you throw more fuel at it, you should advance the spark timing to burn it all.

If you take away fuel, take some advance out.

These things should be kept in balance and do have limits depending on other factors going on in the build combination.

The only way to really know, is to check each map on a dyno doing some pulls with AFR plots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts