V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a windshild I would like to cut .I would like to do this only once and the wright way. So any ideas... I assume i need to cut it than finish it ??

Thank all

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm no pro but I've been both a mechanic and a carpenter so I did cut my own windsheild down a couple months ago because it drove me crazy having to look through it. It's fairly easy to do, here's what I did:
1. sat on the bike to detrmine where I wanted the hieght to be and just made a dot with a sharpy at this point.
2. Used masking tape to cover the entire outside upper part of the windsheild so I could draw the cut-line on it and also protect the windsheild while cutting. I used a carpenters compass to produce a line for the top edge and maintain the original curvature and then used a gallon paint can as a template to feather out the sides. Drawing some vertical and horizontal lines on the tape also helped in double checking that I doing each half the same.
3.I used about a 24 tpi metal cutting blade in my jig-saw and first made a cut from the outside edge at the top center in towards and stopping at my cut line. This resulted in having two peices to cut off from each half which I thought would reduce the chance of cracking. Something else that worked well was placing the sheild on abunch of towels placed on the big plastic trash can in the garage. Tip: use a variable speed jig-saw and keep the speed down and take your time.
4.Once you've done the cut, take a fine file and sort of bevel the edges so they won't be so sharp.
5. Remove the masking tape and your all set. Discovered that masking tape works great at removing that hazey stuff from your windsheild.
Took me about a 1/2 hour to do this, 20 minutes to lay it out and double check then about ten minutes cutting and filing the edges.
I cut mine so that it was even with the tip of my nose and it worked out great. I don't have to ostrich neck to see where I'm going when its raining and the majority of the wind is deflected.
A belt sander with real fine paper may work well to even everything out if you happen to go outside the lines a bit.
Good luck. This is real easy to do and you shouldn't have a prob.

·
Registered
357 Posts
twice

mtairy biker said:
I have a windshild I would like to cut .I would like to do this only once and the wright way. So any ideas... I assume i need to cut it than finish it ??

Thank all
I've done this to two windshields and got EXACTLY the results that I wanted. I am VERY happy with my windshield, far better than stock height.

First: Determine the height that you want it to be.
In order to do this: Take a couple of 2 inch strips of blue painters tape with you. Sit on your bike and place the tape where you think you'll want to be looking over the shield and not through it. It should hit just below your eyeball, like a pair of bifocal glasses work (if you don't know that, ask me and I'll splain that one too.

Then go for several rides, moving the tape up or down on the shield until you think you have it where you want it.

Take a compass, or make with with a string and a sharpie.
You will make the mark on the OUTSIDE of the shield.
Adjust the compass so that the marker reaches down from the top center of the shield to the top of the tape.

Go to the side of the shield, about 3-4 inches from the top.
Using the compass/sharpie follow the curve of the shield from one side, up over the top and down the other side. About 3-4 inches on each side.

Is this part clear ?

Place the shield on a work table, with something under it to protect it. Put blue painters tape on the shield below the line that you've just drawn on the shield. This tape should cover an area at least 5 inches. This will provide protection to the part of the shield that you'll be keeping. Above the line is going to be cut off.

Look at the sides of the windshield, you'll need to draw a smooth curved line in from the sides to blend into the cut line going over the top.

Using a saber saw with a metal cutting blade (provides the smoothest cut) cut following your line.

After you cut it off, take a sanding block and using FINE or EXTRA FINE grit of emory paper sand it smooth. Use a sanding block that is at least 5 inches long.
This is required because your cut line will not be straight and the 5 inch block will smooth out the dips and valleys that you will have created when you cut it.

After you smooth it off with the emory paper you, and only you will ever be able to tell that it's been cut.

I will post pictures of mine in a day or two.

If you would like to discuss it on the phone, pm me and I'll send you my phone number.

Mikey

edited: come to think of it, and 99's post reminded me, I actually put tape on the shield about half way down and drew the line on the tape.

this is an easy job

one thing that I would say, make sure you cut off enough, because if you leave it just a BIT too high, it will be difficult to cut it down if you only have say 1/2 inch to remove.

·
Registered
679 Posts
those are good points, but a very easy to copy the curve of your current windshield is to take a piece of poster board and tape it so you can trace the outline of the windshield on it. Then just cut on the line and move the poster board down to the point where you want your cut. Trace the top of the poster board onto the windshield.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I've cut several windshields, the latest my 05 Heritage Classic. But I did not follow the same curvature as the original shield. Instead I flattened the top some so I would have a little more coverage on the sides. Not only do you get better coverage, but others note that your windshield is not stock looking, which gives you a bit of individuality. Cutting a windshield is very easy, and there is no reason to suffer with a windshield that is too high. The whole operation takes 15-20 minutes. Fxr4mikey has it right.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I posted a .pdf in this thread that explains the complete process from determining the correct height for you, cutting the windshield and finishing the edge.

Trimming Windshield

You may already have enough info from the posts above, but you may want to check it out - it also lists tools and supplies needed.

Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Template

I've always used a paper or cardboard template to draw the cut line. Fold the template in half, you'll get the left and right to match perfectly that way. Then transfer the cut line to the plastic and get after it with your favorite chainsaw :thumbsup: or whatever is handy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
good ideas

I like the different ways to check the height out as i had to cut mine twice. I just used 1/2 " tape and then scored the plastic with a plastic cutter ($4.00)you drag it along the edge you want. And do it lightly to hold your edge and then go back over and over several times going deeper each time till you can snap/bend your excess off. go slow, i used some vice grips . if it dont go score some mo. then you can file the edge with a fine tooth or carefull with an orbital palm sander. you have to be easy and feather it round on both edges to make it look really nice

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
I have my old OEM one I am going to cut down.

Have any of you tried tinting the windshield? I am considering doing it to the outside, and then just replacing the tint every year or so. Sort of using the tint as a replaceable shield.​

·
banal
486 Posts
CHAINSAW said:
Your local glass shop can cut it for you. Not very expensive.
I had heard this from several sources, so I took an afternoon off work, drove downtown and took my windshield to the most competent glass shop in Birmingham AL. They took me to the back and introduced me to their man who said he had been cutting glass for them for 35 years. I explained what I wanted and he looked at me like I was an alien speaking a foreign language. He said he could do it, but it would likely take several hours and he wasn't confident I would like the results. Said he had done a motorcycle lexan one time before (only one time out of all those years!) and it wouldn't exactly be cheap, relative to the cost of a new windshield already cut to the right height. I told them never mind. Basically I just wasted an afternoon.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I took mine to the glass shop in town. Less than $20 to cut it. You need to call around, some have the equipment and others don't. I don't care If I had to drive an hour. I would still pay to have it cut. So much easier, neater and no messing around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts