V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay have gured out what I want to have done. Now the question is how to find the right person to do the job? Not to mention the right price?

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Price is 2nd. This isn't anything to look for bargains. A good artist knows they are good and charge accordingly. Besides how many things can you buy that last a lifetime.:hmmm:
I ask people at work or in general when the circumstances are right where they had their work done. I ask even if I don't like the work. Go to a few places and see who has a lot of customers and who doesn't.
My newest work was done back in my hometown because here in Phoenix I haven't seen any work that impressed me. Not saying there aren't good artists here I just haven't found one yet. The guy in my hometown got me in 4 days after I settled on what I wanted. Price was reasonable but not cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
when i moved and needed a new artist... I asked locals where they got theirs..and then made a good bad list....oh, and around here the decent guys charge about $100 hr... and they are not quick.... good luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
You have nothing to lose but time if you go to a bunch of shops and ask questions. Any decent artist will have an album of photos of his work. They are usualy more than happy to show them to you, and if they arent I'd walk out. It took me quite a bit of searching before i found someone who did the style of work I liked, the shop was immaculate, and the guy has a great attitude. I think he was actualy more excited about drawing my peice than I was...he was excited as hell to do it and that made me feel pretty happy about choosing him. If only I set such high standards for women I date...

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Plain old talking to them. But I am not a first timer on ink so I cannot think back that far as to what I looked for. Today I have to "like " the person. If I have any weird feelings about that person , they blow me off on a sketch or just google a few pictures them i walk away. I just found a guy in a small mining town here in AZ. And His work rocks and very easy to talk to, light handed as i watched him work and asked the guy he was inking. That may not matter but I am getting a neck piece here very soon and that is a very tender area. I would make sure you are 100% of the sketch and placement BEFORE any ink is started.

Example my wife is sleeved on both arms ( well almost) the guy she picked I hated in fact he blew me off with some stupid pictures of flames that he down loaded they where the size os a postage stamp from flames.com!! I was pi$$ed I walked into another shop a few weeks later on a whim and told him what I was looking for he even knew the movie that I had saw the ink done in. He rocked and the overall deal went very fast very smooth and had no touch ups. I have both forearms done in black flames, many times with that much soild color you need touch ups not so with him. If he was closer I would go back but that is the way with ink.

I havve asked bunch of people that have neck work done where and who and how it went. Most with ink are happy to talk about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw some work on people, and asked where they got it done. They pointed me in the direction of a really good artist. My wife had some work done a few months back, and I am just waiting for my turn. I had the initial consult about two months ago. Had an appointment a month ago, and had to cancel. My freakin' work scheduled me on my day off, and I could not get out of it. So, Dec 2, I go in for some more work. Finally. I am very excited about it. Also, google is your friend. A lot of artist can be found online, which is great to see some of their work. IMO.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
what they said.

Do your due diligence. If you spend time looking for new bike, (which is relatively disposable), you'll want to spend even more time looking for the artist. You'll find, eventually, a common thread amongst those who have the artwork you like.... same artist!

Mine happens to be a good friend of mine, but the friendship developed from looking (rather passively, actually) for an artist. Even though we are good friends, its a 4 month wait to get work from him. It is worth the wait though. Heck, its taken longer than that for Corbin to get me my seat, but that is another rant!

·
Registered
189 Posts
A tattoo is art you can take to the grave. It is not a bargin shoping most good artists charge $100 an hour. Check with the health department for state/city/county regulations on Tattooing. Make sure the equipment is autoclaved and the needles are one time use only. most artists make there own needles ( combining the needle and holder) then autoclaved in seperate sterile bags. ( they have lettering that becomes visable when autoclaved properly)

I have gone to the same tattoo shop since I got my first one there almost 25 years ago, I still go there even after moving 300+ miles away.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts