V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys I have put about 600 miles on hte bike since i picked it up 10 or so days ago.

I have always felt like it cants outward to the left. If you seat on the bike and adjust the bars everything looks plumg. When you take of to ride it looks like it is less then a 1/4 inch turned to the right.

I can feel it in my handle bar position.

what parts do I loosen to get things back to plumb?

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
My Super Glide is EXACTLY the same way and the dealer keeps telling me there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
45leadslinger said:
.... I have always felt like it cants outward to the left. .... When you take of to ride it looks like it is less then a 1/4 inch turned to the right. ..... I can feel it in my handle bar position.

Welcome to the Forum.

Do the fork tubes both appear to be clamped down at EXACTLY the same height in the upper steering bracket? On my '05 FXDI the specification is the slider tube extends 0.42-0.50 inches from the upper fork bracket to the top surface of the tube cap. Both sides should be equal.

Is the distance between the upper and lower fork brackets the same on each side?

If these distances are not equal, then the front axle would not be square to the sliders and the front end would tend to track to one side.

You might want to get a Service Manual and a Parts Manual for your bike. Even if you don't plan on doing the work yourself you can see what is required for any procedure.

The Dealer should correct this situation.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I've had mine in twice for this and each time they say it's ok. Personally, I don't think they are looking at the same thing I'm looking at, so it's going back again when I get the chance.

The first time I took it they put some stupid comment on the service order about aligning the handlebars. The second time they "aligned fender".

I really hate morons that think I'm a moron...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Watch out for the cant

Don't forget, folks - if the rear wheel isn't pointing exactly through the front wheel centreline, the forks will cant over to try to compensate.
And the back wheel also needs to be true in the vertical plane....

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
jrehm said:
I've had mine in twice for this and each time they say it's ok. Personally, I don't think they are looking at the same thing I'm looking at, so it's going back again when I get the chance.

The first time I took it they put some stupid comment on the service order about aligning the handlebars. The second time they "aligned fender".

I really hate morons that think I'm a moron...
What really sucks is questions with out specifics info, just fuzzy generalities and then folks getting upset.

45leadslinger asked:
guys I have put about 600 miles on hte bike since i picked it up 10 or so days ago.

I have always felt like it cants outward to the left. If you seat on the bike and adjust the bars everything looks plumg. When you take of to ride it looks like it is less then a 1/4 inch turned to the right.

I can feel it in my handle bar position.

What kind of bike? Is it new? Used? What year----etc.

What does "cant outward to the left" mean? Does that mean he has to constantly pull the handlebars to the right to keep from turning left? Or does it mean the mechanical alignment of the components are not bolted on straight? :coffee:

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I have the EXACT same problem on my 05 FXDL.

I complain about it everytime I'm at the stealer and they, of course, don't see what i see.

And I don't have the money to take it to the alignment place I've read about on this forum - just having to live with it for now

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Here's a couple of things to check that I have found on bikes since 03s:
1) the console on the tank is not centered, giving the appearance the steering is off. loosening the console mount bolt(s) and centering the console makes it better

2) The tank is not mounted on the center of the frame which makes the steering look like it is off from the drivers perspective. Remove the console and match the seam on the center of the tank to the steering head pivot bolt, and see if they line up. Dealer should fix this one if you can't get it back in line with some thin shims or washers under the tank mount bolts.

3) The bars are tweaked in the risers. The risers are mounted to the trees in rubber bushings that flex. If the bars were bolted into the riser clamps out of line, there is enough play in the risers to let them stay mounted crooked. The fix is to loosen the riser clamp bolts, tweak the bars straight, and re-tighten the bolts. It might take two people as the bushings can take a set if left this way a long enough time. One person to hold them straight with the front wheel between their legs, and the other to tighten the clamp bolts.

4) the forks are really tweaked in the frames. Raise the bike or front wheel off the ground with a jack. Loosen the lower tree pinch bolts. Loosen the axle clamp bolts, and loosen a fork brace if you have it. From in front of the bike, and with the wheel centered, grab a fork in each hand and wiggle them firmly while someone else holds the bars centered. The forks will seek their own center in the trees. tighten all the clamp bolts back while your buddy continues to hold the bars centered with the frame.

Give those a try before taking it back to the dealer. Many dealers have trouble figuring these out on their own.

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess you'll have to live with my uneducated use of terms. the bike track straight but as I am sitting on the bike my left arm is straight while my right is bent. when I look down at the forks there appears to be a slight tilt to the right.

I have tried to adjust my seating thinking it was the way I was sitting on the bike to no avail.

I checked the rear alignment and it seems to be a littl off. The right needs to be broght back some to match the left measurement.

I haven't had the time to look at handle bar mounting just yet.
I am sure it something simple.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I checked the rear alignment on mine and it was dead on, but the front still appears to be slight to the right. My left arm isn't straight, but I do feel a slight difference between right and left. Mine happens to be a 2005 FXDCI, about 3 months old.

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well boys tonight I tried the riser nuts. guess what they were loose. I giggle both and canted the bars a to the left wrenched them down. I think that might be the fix.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
The nuts that hold the risers to the bars should not be clamped down as tight as they'll go. There are rubber bushing donuts around those risers where they mount to the top tree (under the trim washers both above and below the tree). If you clamp them down, you will fully compress the rubber to where you have lost any benefit of the vibration isolation they are intended to provide.

The right way to do this is loosen the handle bar riser clamp bolts, being careful the bars don't drop down and hit the tank. Put a pad over the tank first.

Then, torque the bolts/nuts that hold the riser to the top tree. Torque them to spec so you get the correct compression on the bushings.

Then, put the bars into position, and have someone hold the front wheel straight with their knees and also holding the bars in alignment so your reach is balanced. Then, tighten the riser clamp bolts.

They will now stay centered on their own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow,...seems similar to my problem. I just purchased a 2001 Dyna Wide,...at first glance it was perfect. Got it home and discovered it must have been dropped on the right side. The handle bars were slightly bent, grip was missing chrome end cap and the front control peg had a few minor scratches. I replace the bars thinking that was all that was wrong, but when you ride it, it seems to favor the right side. I am thinking that when it fell it may a have knock the forks out of true. I read here where someone said to jack the bike and loosen the upper fork clamps, think I am going to try that next.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts