V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you please share your experience with me, what happened when you started riding ? Something funny or unforgettable?
I started riding at 10 years old, I got my first bike from my elder brother.:clap:

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I started riding about 10 but it was ironic since my first bike was a Harley. My brother and 2 friends and I all bought new Harley minibikes, X-90 I think it was called, for $199 brand new. When they ran good they were a lot of fun to ride, but when they didn't it seemed like it cost more than $199 to have it serviced.

After many expensive repair bills I sold it and bought a Suzuki RM125 which wasn't a whole lot better than the Harley. I eventually sold that and bought a water cooled Yamaha YZ250 and I still have it to this day. I'll always have a dirt bike as long as I'm able to ride, since they are a lot more fun than riding on the street.

·
Registered
594 Posts
9. Arctic Cat mini bike on Christmas morning. Pulled the cord, it fired up shot across the room, hit the couch and filled the living room with 2 stroke smoke. next thing I heard was "get that damn thing outside" I've been hooked for 41 years.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
It was the mid 60's and I was about 19 or 20 when I rented a dirt bike with my cousin. These were Japanese machines about 80cc. I started reading motorcycle magazines and the next year, 1967, I bought a new Suzuki X6 Hustler.

I remember from my first ride on those rented bikes with my cousin that this was right for me. There was something that seemed to all fall into place. When I got my Suzuki, I couldn't stop riding it. The following summer I did a cross country trip on the 250cc Suzuki. Now that is another story and was quite an experience.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My first experience with a motor mounted on two wheels was a mini bike with a 5hp engine. I was 9yrs old, everyone that rode it wrecked it. I was the only one that didnt have a problem. It was pretty fast. After a few years I graduated to honda 90 not very fast but it would go anywhere. I had a few other POS's until I turned 17 and got my first street bike a Kawasaki 400. I rode that for a few years and then got a Honda CB750K what a great bike. I wish I still had it though, I did ride it for 19yrs and put a butt load of miles on it. I sold that and waited a year and bought my first HD 2003 Low Rider. I am presently on my third HD well actually I am on my 2nd and 3rd HD. I decided last year that one was not enough.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I started on a Sears and Roebuck 3 HP mini-bike, 1969 or 70.
I drove it into a telephone guy wire on my first ride. Fortunately, my parents didn't see that. I got up and decided to learn how use the brake instead just the throttle - lol.

·
wanderer
172 Posts
about 10 years old when my dad brought home a Sensation mini bike kit, put it together and rode the sh**t out of it-

lots of fun,

that was 47 years ago

joe

·
Registered
103 Posts
1 was 12 my older brother gave me a mini bike

·
wanderer
172 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Started in 1956 at 16 years old on a '47 knuckle head. My uncle told me if I could start it and ride it I could have it. I did and been riding ever since. Now I ride a '06 WG. In the wind.

Pops

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I was 3 and my Brother was 4 we both got brand new kawasaki Coyotes.
My Dad owned a Kawasaki / Ducati shop in Portland Oregon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was a late bloomer, 26 yo. Started on a Kawasaki 250cc street/dirt bike, then 400cc Kawasaki. Son came along and I didn't own but continued to ride friends bikes through the years. In 2006 I bought a 1200 HD Roadster, 3 years later added a 2001 Road King. After 20K miles on the sporty and 8K on the RK I sold both in '10 for a real nice used Ultra classic with less than 10K miles. Been riding now 37 years. No real experiences to talk of. A few spills like most everyone else.

The wife has been riding going on 5 years, but that's another story.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was 22 when I went to driving school, and studied there on Java 350cc.
After that I bought my FXRS.

·
Super Moderator
20,905 Posts
I was about 11 and started on a Rupp. Then a bunch of small Honda's. Came from a Honda family, so they were not enthused when I showed up one day on a Sportster.

·
Registered
163 Posts
9 on a mini bike me and my friend built. Briggs & Stratton 5 hp motor we got from a lawn mower, bike chain and parts, and his Dad helped us build the frame. No brakes, rope pull start, and the only way to stop it was with a screw driver pushing down on the metal thing against the spark plug. Chain always fell off too. It was lots of fun.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts