V-Twin Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Motorhead
675 Posts
I think if you have to tow your walker behind you, have a hanger for your I.V, and another for your Calostomy bag... you may be too old.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I suppose there comes a time...

An old friend of mine (pun unintentional) was in his late 70s and his business had done quite well over the years. His wife bought him a Fat Boy for his birthday and when I saw him on crutches a month later and asked what had happened, he said that he'd dropped the bike. It wasn't moving, he simply lost his balance in the driveway and he couldn't react fast enough. A few months later, when the broken leg had healed, he dropped it again on a windy road, going a little faster. He healed from that one too, but that was the last time he rode.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Your too old when ya can't throw a leg over it..:whistle:

·
Registered
1 Posts
As long as you can hold it up...

I see keeping it going until I can't hold the dang thing up any more. Then it will fall on top of me and then, God willing, there shall I be buried.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd have to say up until the day before you die.... too bad we don't know when that will be.

I just turned 50, ride a V-Rod and just bought a fat bob today. I feel a LONG way off from giving up riding.

A member or our local riding group is 70 and rides to Sturgis every year by himself. Once in a whilehe will get a buddy to travel with him, but he doesn't look like he going to give up riding in the near future.

I say as long as you can hold it up, keep on riding.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I thought I was too old. I am 64 now and hadn't owned a bike for 25 years. All the bikes I saw being ridden in my area were by young kids on crotch rockets of which I wanted no part.

We recently moved out to the country with lots of great roads and scenery. All of a sudden I saw Harleys going by in packs of 20 to 50 every weekend and these guys were sporting gray hair and beards and loving it.

So I went to the local Harley dealer just to look around about 4 weeks ago. Went back the next weekend to look around again. Went back the next weekend; If you look close you can see a pattern here.:)

The last time happened to be the day of the Toy Run. 60% of the guys were over 45 and they had some up into there 70's and one guy 84 years old. Damn. They were all laughing and having a great time and were more than happy to show me anything I was curious about on their bike.

By the way, the Toy Run had 8500 bikes that day. That was the coolest sight.

Suffice it to say I now have a gorgeous blue Heritage sitting in the garage now. I don't feel old anymore.:woohoo:

·
Registered
72 Posts
only you can tell if you are to old to ride.the trike is a great ideal when i hit 50 year's of rideing i thought about it. but i enjoy it more now than ever so it isn't going to be anytime soon. best of luck

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Reading these posts was a real treat, as I no longer feel like an "old timer". I'm 67 and still do most of my daily running around on my bike. Last Spring I "retired" my '86 FXRS (anyone wanna buy it?) with 200,000 miles on it, and bought an '03 RG, which the wife and I have already taken a couple of trips on. Last Summer we rode to Zion Ntl. Park, and I just made reservations for Yellowstone for next September, also a bike trip (we're in the L.A. area).

It's never occurred to me to give up riding. As long as my reflexes are reasonably good, and my night vision stays reasonably good, I'll stay on the seat.

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
At 60 my bikes are 4 times as powerful as anything I have ever owned,when I throw a leg over one of them I am instantly a young man again.Have slowed down chasing women, drinking,partying,staying up all hours of the night,and a little gray hair.Other than that,I still love the smokey burnouts, and putting the Hammer down!!! Also still enjoy the twisties,the asphalt twisties that is!!!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts