V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I don't know how much longer I could ride, but I am about to give it up at 68 years old.

I have survived 45 years of riding and feel that I am still ahead after only one wreck that temporarily disabled me for a few weeks.

Some physical issues and being on fixed income now I think I will quit next spring.

My 2007 FLHX will be for sale around March 2009....

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
VIP, you've had a long, and I suspect "great", time on the road. If you're comfortable sharing, are you ready or approaching it relunctantly? I wonder what it's like. We will all get there. Maybe we could learn from your experience.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
It has been a fun ride.
Had several Motorcycles, road in a few small groups.
Never liked riding in large groups.

Met a lot of nice people at various M/C hangouts and events

Never went on real long overnight trips but did plenty of all day trips around 300 miles.

In the link below is a picture of a Yamaha 305 that I rode all over Arizona. Lived in Phoenix at the time and rode up into the mountains and out in the desert many miles.

I tried to ride that thing many places that I should not have.

Some where out near the Phoenix zoo there was some small hills that looked like they were sand stone.
I tried climbing one of those and got a few feet from the top when the motor finally died. Now I had a real dilemma.

How to get turned around without busting my butt and come tumbling down the hill. I finally maneuvered it around about half way then jumped on and rode it down. That was a thrill because the brakes were useless on that slope.!!
Even rode it rattlesnake hunting many times.!

Even after I sell the Streetglide, I might buy an old twin of some variety to rebuild as a hobby but it won't be a touring bike.

I feel very lucky to have had so much fun and the riding experience that I have without getting seriously hurt.

Here is a link with some pictures of this and previously owned Motorcycles.

http://home.fuse.net/pvee/Streetglide.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
I made it to 55 so far, hope to get many more in. Then again I see more of our Seniors riding trikes.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I've been on this planet since 1936

well,

I try to get out on My Custom, weather permitting, everyday.

Why give up a good thing because of age.

Al

·
Registered
933 Posts
I meet a old guy in Newland Nc that was 82years old and ride'n a 64 bagger. Cool old man ans still tacks a ride ever week for a couple hours.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I ride with a group of guys in their 60s and 70s (all makes of bikes). A week or so ago we met up with a friend of one of the guys who is 82. He rides a new Vulcan something and gets out about every day. It's apparently nothing for him to do a solo 100-200 mile loop just to get coffee somewhere where he knows someone. I have to say, he didn't look 82, or even close. He said riding keeps him young. I hope I still have the skill and confidence to do what he does if/when I get to be his age.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If you have to grease and repack the bearings on your walker....you might be too old to ride.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My pop is in his upper 60's (I forget how old exactly, so does he) and he has a hell of a time negotiating my gravel driveway. It slopes up a little, and is full of golf ball sized stones. It was full of rocks some as big as grapefruit, until he scared the crap out of me the last time I saw him ride his Road King up the drive. So I spent a day pulling all the big ones out. They never really bothered me, but he looked like he was in a hill climb the way his legs were wiggling. He thinks it's better now, but his face shows otherwise. Keep hinting that I need to blacktop it. I hope he gets to keep riding for many years to come. He already said he won't upgrade to a trike in the future, he'll just hang it up. Time will tell.

As for me, I don't know. I'm not going to think about it for at least 20 more years.

~uf

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
A few weeks back, I passed a guy on a beautiful old Beamer with a Steib sidecar, Labrador in the Steib with Doggles and white scarf, matching his owner. The guy had to be in his 80's. He gave us a big, enthusiastic wave as we went by and looked as if he was out having the time of his life. I aspire to be like him.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I started riding at age 12. Will be 64 this month and rode over 19,000 last summer (May - Oct.) and over 20,000 this summer. No plans to quit, yet. Even if the ankle gets too bad, I will trike it and keep going.

·
Registered
13 Posts
64 here >>>> Just don't go as far & long as used to.!!!!!!!
KINDA been lookin at trike's >>> but not too hard yet !!!!!
HOPIN STILL PLENTY OF TREAD ON THESE OLD tires ......

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your never too old BUT you may have to make some changes as you get older.
My dad is 72 and just had his bike converted into a trike.Cost 10 grand and looks real sharp.He was still riding with no real problems but the bike seemed to be getting heavier as he got older and Mom wouldn't get on it with him any more.She loves it now.
He just bought a trailer and there taking it to Florida for the winter and enjoying the riding down there.He got the trike idea from a guy he met at the dealership..the guy was in his mid 80's and riding a tricked out trick.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
when to quit...

when I can't crawl from the wheelchair to the bike.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts