V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new here....first post....I have a 1992 FLHS and am the only and original owner. . The bike has 60,000 miles on it and is just fine.
Primary oil: The service manual says to put in enough oil so that the very bottom of the clutch diaphram sping is covered. So,one has to buy 2 quarts to satisfy this factory requirement.One full quart and part of another.
Now, some folks, who I presume to be more knowledgeable than I , say that just 1 quart is just fine..
Any comments? Opinions?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The manual is correct on the level height.
I think the confusion /disagreement comes about because different primary's take more/less to reach that level at the bottom of the clutch. But they all want to be at that same height in there.
My manual is wrong on the amount to put in and it would be overfilled.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I use one qt. in those older primary cases. But if you aren't having any trouble finding neutral and it takes a little more to reach the bottom of the diaphragm spring in your bike use the extra oil. It won't hurt anything.

·
Super Moderator
20,091 Posts
How ever much it takes to fill it to the bottom of the clutch plates with the scooter sitting level.

Usually about a quart on a drain and fill. A little more if the outer was off.

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
on a service put in 1 quart and quit worrying... on a dry primary add a few extra ounces,, about 4... the primaries retain about 4 ounces,, up around the compensator,,, it is lower,, than back by the clutch where it is drained... about 4 ounces

·
Registered
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
48 Posts
Go by the owners manual. Harley has access on the web for all owners manual back to 1981 you just need a vin to look it up. My 86 FXR gets filled to bottom of derby hole. Take about a quart and a half. Later ones were to the bottom of the clutch spring. I always look them up can't remember all of them. I do 20 oil changes a year for friends, mine ,etc.
Just like if the bike needs to be on the Jiffy Stand to check the engine oil, everyone is different.
If its at the bottom of clutch spring you should be fine for all models but the more volume you have keeps the oil cooler

·
Registered
338 Posts
It can be confusing. My manual contradicts itself too. It says the primary takes 26 oz but then tell you it need to come up to the bottom of the diaphragm spring. Which usually is about an extra 4 oz's. For yrs I just put in 26 oz on a fluid change and it seemed fine.

·
Registered
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
48 Posts
Does your manual state 26 oz or is it worded as a suggestion? They do that a lot then give you another reference because you won't always get all the fluid out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts