V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Just the facts ma'am
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is that my 2002 fatboy oil capacity is 4 quarts. Changing the oil usually leaves me with about enough room for 2 1/2 quarts of new oil to bring it back up to full when hot.

Does anyone know of a way to get the remaining old oil out of the bike? I didn't see another method in the service manual and cranking the motor without any oil in the tank doesn't seem like a good idea.

Any ideas/comments are welcome.

Joe in Va Beach
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
joefed1 said:
My understanding is that my 2002 fatboy oil capacity is 4 quarts. Changing the oil usually leaves me with about enough room for 2 1/2 quarts of new oil to bring it back up to full when hot.

Does anyone know of a way to get the remaining old oil out of the bike? I didn't see another method in the service manual and cranking the motor without any oil in the tank doesn't seem like a good idea.

Any ideas/comments are welcome.

Joe in Va Beach
sure it not 3 quarts other 1/2 is the filter
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
joefed1 said:
My understanding is that my 2002 fatboy oil capacity is 4 quarts. Changing the oil usually leaves me with about enough room for 2 1/2 quarts of new oil to bring it back up to full when hot.

Does anyone know of a way to get the remaining old oil out of the bike? I didn't see another method in the service manual and cranking the motor without any oil in the tank doesn't seem like a good idea.

Any ideas/comments are welcome.

Joe in Va Beach
Filter should hold about a half a quart, Crankcase could hold some more. There is enough oil film left on all surfaces so that you can drain all the oil out and within a few seconds of starting it up with fresh oil and filter everything will be recoated again.
 

·
Nice to ride again :-)
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
With or without changing filter? If you are saying you only get 2.5 quarts in WITH a filter, you have "sumping" wrong.
 

·
Just the facts ma'am
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, 2 1/2 quarts without changing the filter.

I'm changing the oil every 200 miles during the break in of my build. Next time instead of measuring what goes in I'll masure what comes out.

Still, on my fatboy I'm just draining the tank which is pretty high. There must be a lot of oil in the cam chest / crankcase that is still dirty. Anyone know of a way to get it out?

Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
joefed1 said:
No, 2 1/2 quarts without changing the filter.

I'm changing the oil every 200 miles during the break in of my build. Next time instead of measuring what goes in I'll masure what comes out.

Still, on my fatboy I'm just draining the tank which is pretty high. There must be a lot of oil in the cam chest / crankcase that is still dirty. Anyone know of a way to get it out?

Joe
How long are you letting the engine set before draining it? You really should warm it up before changing it out to make sure all the oil is scavenged from the crankcase back to the oil tank. keep in mind that this is a dry sump system, not like in your car.
 

·
Just the facts ma'am
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Usually I'll ride it, park it and wait until the pipes cool off before draining the oil.

I don't know what a "dry sump" is but the service manual says to let it idle for about 2 minutes after warming the bike up to operating temperature. Are you saying that by doing this most of the oil will be pumped into the tank?

I figured this is a pointless step but maybe not. Also figured that whatever oil not in the tank would seek the lowest level (crankcase, camchest). What am I missing here?

Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
joefed1 said:
Usually I'll ride it, park it and wait until the pipes cool off before draining the oil.

I don't know what a "dry sump" is but the service manual says to let it idle for about 2 minutes after warming the bike up to operating temperature. Are you saying that by doing this most of the oil will be pumped into the tank?

I figured this is a pointless step but maybe not. Also figured that whatever oil not in the tank would seek the lowest level (crankcase, camchest). What am I missing here?

Joe
You don't have a traditional crankcase like on a car. When you drain your oil it is only coming from the tank not the crankcase like on a car. You might think you are draining it because it is coming from underneath the engine but you are not. Some bikes allow oil to migrate to the engine from the tank if it sets long enough so follow the recommendations from HD on this and warm up the engine before changing your oil.
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
joefed1 said:
No, 2 1/2 quarts without changing the filter.

I'm changing the oil every 200 miles during the break in of my build. Next time instead of measuring what goes in I'll masure what comes out.

Still, on my fatboy I'm just draining the tank which is pretty high. There must be a lot of oil in the cam chest / crankcase that is still dirty. Anyone know of a way to get it out?

Joe

This guy sells a kit to get all of the old oil out.

http://www.roguechopper.com/

Looks like it should do the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
have an 04 fatboy; happened to mention to dealer 1x that it took 3.5 quarts and he responded: lucky to get 3 qts in there. Usually take the bike out for 10-20 miles, drain oil, change filter and put in 3 qts. also, after running bike again and checking to make sure oil is at proper level, I let it sit overnight, stand bike up and check where oil level is cold. Use that as a reference point. Do same thing for tranny. When tranny is cold, it is actually at low level mark; after full warm up , 20 miles or so, it is at full mark. Just my experience. That is using amsoil 20-50 in engine and 75-90 severe gear in trans.
 

·
Just the facts ma'am
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great info. The oil scavenger idea is interesting too!

Just wanted to make sure I was really getting as much oil out as I can under teh circumstances. Without getting all that old oil out it now makes even more sense to change the oil earlier rather than later.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
oil fill amounts

My understanding is that the TC88 engine only takes 2 1/2 quarts for a "wet fill"
A dry fill would be 3 quarts.

...at least that is what my repair manual says, and that has been my experience with my engine when I changed the oil...


ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
ace57 said:
My understanding is that the TC88 engine only takes 2 1/2 quarts for a "wet fill"
A dry fill would be 3 quarts.

...at least that is what my repair manual says, and that has been my experience with my engine when I changed the oil...


ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"
Which bike, what year?

It varies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
clarification

sorry I should have qualified that, you're right some engines take 3.5 and even 4 quarts...

the DYNA tc88's (a) I believe take 3.0 quarts for a dry fill, and 2.5 for a wet fill. I believe the fat boys take 3.0 as well...

I only know my lowrider, and my previous sporty...should have said that.
In any case, the HD service manuals will state wet and dry fill amounts.

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top