V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used 03' Anniversary Fatboy with 14000 miles, a few paint chips on the front of the tank and a scratched frame underneath (looks like someone tried to go over a high speed bump or something). Is it common to have a scratched frame, and how much $$$ do you think I should offer for the bike. This will be my first Harley, so any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

H

·
0 Posts
It sounds like an average bike, with average mileage. Kelly Blue Book is showing it at $16,000 for carb and $16,600 for Fuel Injected retail (excellent condition at a dealer). That strikes me as way high. Anything close to that and you may as well buy new. Trade-in is showing $11,400 ($11,900 for FI). That would obviously be low for a private party sale. However, for the condition you describe, I'd want to be closer to that end of the range.

Harris

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
The scrapes onthe underside of the frame can be easily touched up. As for price, you have to look around your area and see whats available to determine if it is a good deal or not. You can also see if any local dealers have any used 03's in stock and see what they are getting.

The bottom line is it is worth what anyone is willing to pay. What I am willing to pay may not be as much as someone else but does that make it worth what they payed?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Look in the local paper to get an idea, whats out there. I am thinking 12-13k. Thats out of my bowels though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Like berserker said, look in your local paper. But to give you a comparision, this past April, I paid 13,500 for my '03 Fatboy with 1925 miles on the clock.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I checked out a current issue of the cycletrader here in Texas and the cheapest 03 Fatboy in ther was 15,500 and that was with 3800 miles.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Checking your local paper or Cycle Trader means nothing, those prices are what people are ASKING and do not reflect the fair market value.
On ebay, you can check closed items and see what they have been actually SOLD for and what is being bid on the ones that aren't selling. Always alot on there in texas, florida always seems to have alot of em listed, I guess that's not so far to go for one if yer in texas.

OK, I just went and looked on ebay None that had bids over the mid 14k and all the ones that were bid that high were practically no miles(1-3k)
There's a real nice one listed with a buy it now for 13.5K has 27k miles but looks to be a very nice bike, lot's of extras
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I just paid 15,900 for my Fatboy. 2000 model with 7000 miles. Bike was over serviced and over detailed. Belonged to a guy who worked for a Benz dealer. Bike looks like new.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Prototype413 said:
I found a used 03' Anniversary Fatboy with 14000 miles, a few paint chips on the front of the tank and a scratched frame underneath (looks like someone tried to go over a high speed bump or something). Is it common to have a scratched frame, and how much $$$ do you think I should offer for the bike. This will be my first Harley, so any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Make him and offer and see where that takes you. The eye of the beholder knows the value of the bike.

My '03 is priceless...Does that help? :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I recently sold my Silver/Black with 7k miles and 18 month of extended warranty for $14500. I had tried to sell it with all accesories for $16k, not a single call. I stripped it down back to stock and sold parts on ebay for close to $1700. Put the bike in the trader for $14500 and sold it in three days.
From what I have seen, depending on color, 03 are going for 13-14K, with 2000 now available for around $12k. The market has definately taken a dump in the last 6-10 months.
Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
slalomdude said:
I recently sold my Silver/Black with 7k miles and 18 month of extended warranty for $14500. I had tried to sell it with all accesories for $16k, not a single call. I stripped it down back to stock and sold parts on ebay for close to $1700. Put the bike in the trader for $14500 and sold it in three days.
From what I have seen, depending on color, 03 are going for 13-14K, with 2000 now available for around $12k. The market has definately taken a dump in the last 6-10 months.
Good luck
There was a dealer here in the Milwaukee area selling all left over 05's at employee discount prices. I didn't ask for pricing or what was available, but that would certainly indicate to me, at least in the Milwaukee area, that the used market is certainly favoring the buyer at this time. This dealer is less than 10 miles from the Capitol Drive Powertrain operations.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I gave my 94 Softail Custom and $6700 (on the road) for my 03 FB w/gold key package and 680 miles on the clock. That was about 2 months ago. I don't feel TOO bad about it...but wish I had looked around a bit longer. Had I not needed to trade mine I'd been in a lot better position to look around and wait for a better deal. Like's already been said...it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Check your local market....The market is most likely flooded with bikes. You probably can find a good one for high elevens.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Prices should be down this time of year. Spring is when prices start to rise again.

·
Registered
549 Posts
W a i t !

Hi I buy and sell bikes every week ! And have two 2007 FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic for sale Pewter Pearl aka Silver, 8000 miles all stock and perfect $ 13,700:woohoo:

and a 2007 FLSTC Heritage Softail Classic under 3000 miles in Black Cherry Pearl / Pewter Pearl two tone Stock and it's not broken in yet ! all records and service is cuurant ! $13,900

No flaws or scratches or dents!

all service records and clean titles these bikes are perfect !
I acquire a lot of bikes from guys before they get repoed or lost in divorces! call me email me IM me :woohoo:

saddle bags windshield,A fatboy is a Heritage softail with different
wheels and more [email protected]: great road bike for you 1st [email protected]:

Now remember these both are 2007 Harleys so there 96 cu in. F.I. with 6 spd trannys Im in Denver I can arrange shipping or trailer it out to LV too ! Jerry

I have a 06 sportster 1200 for sale too but I dont want this bike either :redrolf:mad:gree::hystria:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts