V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my bike to the dealer for an oil pressure issue (I'll update that thread when I get the bike back) and of course, they tried to sell me a new rear tire for my 1999 Road Glide.

Tire and labor quote was around $207.00 for a stock Dunlop blackwall. This seemed a bit steep to me so I declined as I still have 1/4" of tread or so left.

Question is; was that a fair price or am I getting gouged???

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Previous post was from work and I was going by memory. Here's the quote that I left at home:

Dunlop HD tire D402 $135.50
R&R Rear Tire 84.00
Supplies 5.04
Total $224.54

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think i paid about the same. I am somewhat anal about tires on motorcycles (had a blowout which gave me religion). Plus, spare time is valuable. Wouldn't seem like you could save too much off $225.00 paying someone else to do it (not at all suggesting you try it yourself!). I might thank the dealer for pointing it out.

That said, if you bought at one of the discount tire places and find a local shop who will mount a tire you purchased elsewhere. you might save $50 + or-.

·
Registered
675 Posts
ZR1Dan said:
Previous post was from work and I was going by memory. Here's the quote that I left at home:

Dunlop HD tire D402 $135.50
R&R Rear Tire 84.00
Supplies 5.04
Total $224.54

They will probably try to sell you a tube also if you are running one once they get the tire off.

I paid $210 at a discount place for tube, tire and install.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do the work yourself. Pulling a rear tire isn't very hard. Buy the new tire mail-order for around $100 and take it to a sport bike shop that has a tire machine - I've had good luck getting a tire I brought in mounted and ballanced for about $30. They do it while I wait and appreciate the business. Net savings is almost $100 and I'm back on the road in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. We have a discount motorcycle tire center here, think I'll try them and see what they are asking. Think I should stay with the Dunlop or try something else?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I agree that the "dealer" install price for a rear tire sounds good. There is heavy labor for the install of a rear tire, more than most folks can do at home.

Tires are "personal" like a lot of things on your bike. I've had very good experience with Dunlops. Others find their riding style works better with other brands.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with CR. I ordered my tires over the net. $224 for a set of WW402. I removed the wheels and brought them to a local bike shop for mounting & balancing. (my stealer wouldn't mount anything he didn't sell). Ending up costing him a brake job as well. It's a bit of work, and at $60/hr labor, probably worth the $85 you were quoted, but that extra money sure felt good in my pocket

·
Registered
86 Posts
What about white whall tyres?

Dunlop 402 WWW Rear MT90HB-16: 270$ installed,here in Spain.

I saw it for 135$ in J&P Cycles Catalog...

Regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
cheap tire website

to buy brand new bike tires go to discountmotorcycle tire the money you save from buying these tires you'll be doing burnouts and hole shots all the time!!!!

hope this helped much, Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts