V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Harleys don't leak oil !
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the RK family and I've read my owners and the H-D service manual on the this subject but,let me ask you guys ;on average what psi are you running in your rear shocks and your front forks?I read the table but with me and my passenger it only calls for like 7psi and yet the max is 35 psi thats a big difference.I figured I'd put about 15psi rear and 10 psi front and see how I like that [I like a firmer ride]as it is I've been riding around with nothing in them for the nearly 600 miles since I bought it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As you read in the book there is a good range of adjustment you have. What I have found and this pertains to the rear since my ultra does not have front adjustment (though my 98 did and I ran it empty all the time). Say you weigh 200 pounds or less then you will probably find that the rear can be left empty so you get the best ride. Now say you ride a little aggressive and go through turns fast then a bit of air in the rear will help with stability in the turns since I find that the bike can be a little mushy in the rear in turns.
The important thing is if you are carrying a passenger for an extended trip then it is really a lot better to add some air in the back. Try this with no air and a passenger of any significant weight and you will likely notice the rear bottoming out over bumps and also the rear will float over bumps. Worse of all is turns where the bike will feel really bad. Not much fun to go through a turn and have the rear end floating. I suggest starting with 20 pounds in the rear when you carry a passenger. The difference will be amayzing. Dan

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I'm 300, my Ol is 110. I have a small hand(volleyball) pump I use and basically it's as much as I can possibly pump in there with my pump, about 25-30 lbs. We can really tell the difference when only a couple of lbs have seeped out. Have to pump mine up about twice a year.....
Til now! Now, I have my Progressive 440's sitting right here on my computer desk, They're going on my bike the next dry day!

·
Registered
127 Posts
None. I took them off my Ultra. They just never felt right for me no matter what the PSI. I put on works shocks custom made for my weight and OL and type of riding and they adjust.

Cheers, SSC

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I run 15psi in mine all the time.....rides well solo and 2 up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My FLHTCI only has air shocks in the rear, but I keep them at 28 psi. I'm 260 lbs. and ride solo & fairly aggressively. Question...I've noticed that my front suspension has gotten a little squishy lately (neve noticed it before in the year I've had it)...will heavier fork oil solve that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts