V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Harley Ridin' Bow Hunter
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many people just quit, some go to meetings and others go through treatment. I don't know how to do a poll or I would have gone that route.
I'll go first; I went through treatment 5 times before I finally "saw the light"

·
Piece of Work
414 Posts
It only took me once. Of course that once was proceeded by a 16 day stay in the hospital, 6 of those in ICU and 3 of those in a coma. I was pretty much ready to quit after that. My wife came in my hospital room looked at me and said "Now do you think you have a problem?". Hard to argue with logic.

Todd

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Eddie Haskell said:
I know many people just quit, some go to meetings and others go through treatment. I don't know how to do a poll or I would have gone that route.
I'll go first; I went through treatment 5 times before I finally "saw the light"
No formal treatment here...I tried controlled drinking for years before attempting to quit, failed pretty miserably the first time I tried too!!! AA saved me from another failure...

·
Finally
839 Posts
Just once but I was bankrupt in all areas of my life. I went to the Doc about 6 months before i decided and he told me what my problem was. Of course he did not know what he was talking about so I kept going and getting worse. One night after an all day bout with the bottle I told my wife to take me somewhere. She did and that was it after a stay in treatment. Of course then it was on to AA to keep my recovering going. A little over 10 years sober now.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Like most others when I went to treatment I was done.I had lost the battle and addiction had won,19 years later I am a different person and boy do I thank my HP for that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I rehabbed and detoxxed at this filthy street meeting in the basement of a down trodden church.Great meeting.Hookers, bums, hipsters, tricksters,muggers, and thieves.One day the topic would be anger, next first step, then second step.Then rotate back.Not set up that way just was.People screamed, hollered, raged, and prayed. Type of meeting where many got sober at, then few years later would disown it cause now they were decent and respectable.Never, and I mean never did I witness such love, compassion and care then at that meeting.Never went back out, but I was just out from age 11 to 38.Pushing 57and sober since I walked thru the doors of A.A..Was so sick that I went for outside help and at a year and a half without a drink was sent to Chit Chat's relapse unit.Dig it, didn't drink but still qualified for relapse unit.Best thing for me, gave me the safe chance to get angry and consequently get to the pain in a safe place.When one is ready they are ready.Had it been few drinks earlier don't know if
I would have got sober.Was this rot gut Russian vodka I was drinking.Was leftover from The Battle of Stalingrad.Used it for T-34 tank fuel.Anyway what is, is.Many paths, one destination.Good ol' Sunday morning, bells are ringing everywhere.......twopffenig

·
Registered
650 Posts
opportunity

I never did go to a "treatment center" as such. I threw my dad into several and was exposed in the 70's. When I did put the bottle away, I had opportunity to get involved with treatment centers as "volunteer" or service work. My sponsor was in the medical field and I had the opportunity to learn a lot what medicine thought about "alcoholism." Seemed that docs had a high rate of sucess in recovery if the had enuff clout hanging over them. (licensing boards, State boards.) Had nothing to do, really, with intelligence. Just what one is willing to loose. I also learned of the "disease" concept. When given the "dignity" of a disease, it was and is very effective in breaking thru the denial.

Real long term sobriety has little or nothing to do with intellect. Much more to do with acceptance.

I was told, "leave your brain (it's in hock) and stethascope on the other side of the door. Go in, sit down, shut up and listen."
that has worked for me for a number of decades.

I had the opportunity to gather information from a lot of people. The only ones who mattered were the ones who had been there, as it turns out. Any information I got outside the rooms was always verified or debunked by folks successful in the rooms. Some of my biggest opportunities to learn came from folks who didn't make it. Most died.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, it is all based on a daily reprieve. If I go back out there it will be because I forget this and I will have to be extended another opportunity. I am not sure I have that kind of luck.

Treatment centers are great and they have helped tens of thousands, but only when the "denial" is gone. imho...It offers and opportunity

bob s.

·
Harley Ridin' Bow Hunter
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I must have really been screwed up! I believe that once I understood the concept that alcohol and drugs were kicking my ass and that I had two options; keep fighting the disease and die, which really didn't make much sense, even in my state of mind or simply surrender and move on :hmmm: I'm pretty happy I chose the latter!

·
Registered
280 Posts
You were a step ahead.I had to first decide if I should kill myself or get sober.After walking around with a pistol in my mouth, I decided sober was easier and softer.Actually I don't even know what happened. Ended up in AA, next thing you know 18/19 years passed.Knowledge of my condition will not keep me sober....twopffenig

·
Registered
280 Posts
never understood surrendering, still don't.To me that means I had a choice.Only but for the grace of God.I was defeated.Absolute ,utter demoralization.Still to this day only thing standing between myself and a drink is God.......twopffenig

·
Registered
650 Posts
twopffenig said:
never understood surrendering, still don't.To me that means I had a choice.Only but for the grace of God.I was defeated.Absolute ,utter demoralization.Still to this day only thing standing between myself and a drink is God.......twopffenig
Well stated. !!

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
For me, treatment was one of those things I was completely against when my wife (now ex) was trying to convince me I had a problem and needed help. 1 year later I was separated, losing the house & business, lost the cars and harley and sanity. I had 2 months clean by going to meetings and I KNEW there was no doubt that unless I changed something DRASTICALLY I was going to use dope again. I had no doubt in my mind, because other than not hitting the pipe, nothing in my life had changed. I knew that as soon as the oppotunity presented itself and I was maybe a little weak with the willpower that day, I would be right back on a major run and probably end up dead.

So for me, I needed to do something different. I went down to the county drug and alcohol office and asked for an appt with a drug counselor. I went in and told him I had 2 months clean and I was scared sh1tless!! He told my I was cured!!! HAHA... as if!! Hell no, I begged for some kind of treatment facility and luckily the county had an agreement with a local 28 day inpatient facility and I was now on the waiting list. I stayed clean by going to meetings daily and knowing that I was getting help soon. It took a full 4 weeks before I got my spot but I went in with 96 days and a fairly clear head. Most of the other clients were detoxing there, so they really couldnt pay attention to what was being offered.

By far one of the best choices I ever made in my life!!!

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Eddie Haskell said:
Once, they introduced me to AA and said to treatment was 15% of recovery and the 12 steps were the other 85%. "I heard the pop."

·
Doof Bag
274 Posts
outpatient, once, it was court ordered, and I was definitely still in denial. There was a bar in downtown Mpls that would serve up a double in exchange for a 30 day chip, ha! cashed mine in. Went to Jail twice for DUI, that moved me closer to bottom, but I was still trying new "methods". Finally landed in the hospital with a few cracked ribs and I was ready to walk in to AA on my own free will and listen as though my life depended on it (it did).

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
Hey Eddie:

One round of intensive out patient -- failed.

Next, was inpatient in the locked ward of a local psyc hospital for 6 weeks followed by 4 months in an extended care facility, followed by 1.5 years of intensive outpatient therapy.

Haven't drank or used a drug since the day I set foot in that psyc hospital which was April 8th, 1990.

Mike

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
No formal treatment here...I tried controlled drinking for years before attempting to quit, failed pretty miserably the first time I tried too!!! AA saved me from another failure...
I'm surprised at the that the number of folks starting out in treatment is so high...most I've met have crawled out of the sewer on their own! (and with the help of AA and their HP)

huckinfog said:
outpatient, once, it was court ordered, and I was definitely still in denial. There was a bar in downtown Mpls that would serve up a double in exchange for a 30 day chip, ha! cashed mine in. Went to Jail twice for DUI, that moved me closer to bottom, but I was still trying new "methods". Finally landed in the hospital with a few cracked ribs and I was ready to walk in to AA on my own free will and listen as though my life depended on it (it did).
My "low" was sitting in jail facing a charge of "intent to commit murder" which was later lowered to "aggravated assault using excessive force" all because when attacked I lacked the good judgment to stop when the fight was clearly over. The charges were later dropped in entirety when it was proven I was defending my home and family but I nearly killed the guy and probably would have if the cops hadn't shown up! While being released the judge was looking at my record and before letting me go he said from the number of fights/assaults in your record and the percentage of these that appear to be alcohol related I'd say you have a pretty bad drinking problem. I can't do anything about your alleged problem right now but if you ever show up in this court with an alcohol related problem I'll sober you up for at least 5 years...understand that? I did then and I do now...my life depends on it every day!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I just stopped drinking and never went back , as each day goes on the chocie seems like a better one. 14 months so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did treatment one time in N California.
I didn't think AA worked and I didn't like it.
I learned in treatment how important AA was to Me but one year later, back on the bottle.........
Three years later I went and detoxed at a treatment in Missouri and was assured I could get in there, but after my three day stay I realized AA was what I needed and wanted. I'm very grateful for those treatment centers too

1 - 20 of 40 Posts