V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
02 w/ 2300 miles . I changed pipes and added pwr com at 200 miles and had no problems at all except for the minor stuff ( Loose axle nut, small oil leak and a little blow by at the rocker....

·
Registered
110 Posts
still running

15,500 miles, still running great. Fuel sending unit, minor oil leak. Otherwise, knock on wood, very happy. I change the oil every 2k miles.
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
290 Posts
4500 miles in 4 months on a 2003. Only problems were:

1. coolent leak (upper hose under front of airbox replaced on warrenty). Down time 7 days due to necessity of ordering new hose with heat shrink fitting (probably could have used a clamp to fix if had been out of warrenty). It may be my imagination, but the bike seemed to run stonger and the intermitent stall problem at idle that I had experienced was gone. Nothing else on the bike was adjusted. I wonder if the bleeding of the coolent fixed an air pocket that was affecting engine temperature sensors for the fuel injection???

2. sticky ignition switch that loosened a bolt in switch housing, necessitating new switch. The first replacement switch would not open the seat. Dealer disconnected the seat latch and I rode without seat lock for 4 weeks waiting for second replacement swtich. HD had to get from manufacture to match key.

Other than these minor and inconvenient problems, so far so good. Love the bike.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Update 8/6/03; 7500 mile service, changed to synthetic. Complained of a clank in the front end on big bumps - tech said he retorqued it but it was ok. Seems to shift better, and the low rpm rattle is gone. Cost me $35 for the service (sun oil & state inspection) rest was under maintenance plan.
Dropped the bike on the Dragon, so I'll not be riding for a while. I'll report how that goes in a separate thread.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Bret said:
After reading through pretty much anything on this site relating to V-Rods, I am curious as to how many people actually have not had a problem with their V-Rod. I don't mean rinky dink stuff, but things that shouldn't have really happened considering the price tag of this beauty. I guess I'm feeling slight paranoia, and need some reassurance.
A friend of mine V-rod is in the shop, because the fuel injector went out. It's a 2003 with less than 3 thou. miles. He's not a happy biker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problems with VRSCAW

Hello everybody, I have good news and bad news with my V-rod. This is my third VRSC.

I had the 2002 annodized vrod, never a problem ever, at all. I had it for a year and upgraded to the 2003 black and silver 100th anniversary. Rode it across the country, pouring down rain, cold, wind, basically name it, I put it through it.

I adore still this bike more than any I ever had. The only problem I ever had with it after 13000 miles was the coolant reservoir tip cracked one day while removing the sheet metal. No biggie. So my faith has been with Vrod.

Now, one day I was thinking of upgrading my bike, adding the wide wheel kit, bigger tank, and some other mods, and the total of the cost was just the same as the balance I would have of getting the 07 VRSCAW. So I got the 07 vivid black and the day I got it I was thrilled. I think that was the last day I was happy to see the bike. Here is the list of everything I am still going through.

**Wired from the factory, shorted out on horn bracket caused rear fule injector to not react as well.

**Fuel injectors stuck

**Smokes

**No power in first and second Gear

**sending unit in fuel tank, shot tell me its full, then drops to empty, then never gives accurate reading.

**Hard starting, then wouldn't start for 5 minutes

**when idling, in neutral, rev up to about 4k rpm, speedometer bounces from 0 to 10.

Did I tell you all that it had 300 miles on it when this all happened.

The dealership ( I give them alot of credit ) have been doing everything they can to resolve this.

I think I got a monday or a friday bike. Absolutely a nightmare, but I would get another one if it was built on tuesday... or be happy with what I had and go back to my previous one.

-=t

·
PHUCKING BIKER!
636 Posts
04 b 14000+ miles
Sticky fuel sending unit
numerous flats (tire wheel warranty)
wobbles (changed solid wheels to 10 spokes no wobble now)
Puttin apehangers on it was a challenge
My boss has 05a 10k service due
numerous flats (tire wheel warranty)
wobbles (changed to 10 spokes no wobble now)
He was using about a quart of oil between services. none since 7500mile

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
2002 VRSCA with 15,000 miles and virtually no problems. I had to put air in the tires a couple of times. Oh yeah, had to put fuel in it very 120 miles (02 had the smaller gas tank than 07) and change the oil every 5K.

I also have a 2007 Road Glide, I haven't had any major issues, but it does ping when under hard acceleration and it gets hot, like 250 degrees when my older TC 88 only gets to about 200 degrees under the same scenario. Just because it is a bigger engine has nothing to do with it. If I spend another 2000 I could fix it with cams, cam plates and a little head work, but I don't really think I will do that, just put some nut shields on it to keep the hear off the gonads and probably put an oil cooler on it, so what oil doesn't leak out stays cool.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Hutch,

Do not have them mess with your valves at 10K, these engines can easily wait until 20K for that. Go to www.vrodforums.com and see what they say. Max will tell you the real scoop on this and you will save yourself a lot of money. Only change all of the fluids at 10K, including all hydraulic, fork and oil. You can do all of that yourself, except for the forks, unless you are a wrench. I do everything but the forks and I am a computer programmer geek. I also do my Twin Cam oils and transmission changes, a good jack goes a long ways.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have an '03 I bought in Oct '02. Put 21,000 miles on so far and have had zero problems. (knock on wood) +SMSH+ +SMSH+ Of course, I don't let the dealer touch it. I do everything myself.

·
Beyond Redemption
485 Posts
I've got an Evo.

But it's 4:25 am...

I've noticed that I've never met anyone with a V-rod that doesn't think it's a great, problem-free, ride. I have heard a great deal of negative stuff from guys without.

Small shop owners (who are still tryin to get up to speed on TC88's) also malign the V-rod.

I've also noticed that V-rod owners are far less likely to respond to poseur threads. Could it be they're too busy puttin down miles?

It's got me thinkin. (And not just about not wanting to go light to light with one.)

Must be more beer time...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm anything but a seasoned rider or a high mileage gooroo, but I can account for 1,086 fantastic miles. Just got the bike from the shop for the 1,000mi change this morning, everything is great and I downshift much smoother (especially to 1st from N, which was starting to get rough, even though I read it's natural.)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Heat shield screw loosened up!

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
dang

She's runn'n like clockwork....... a couple'a annoyance's that are still around since last year...............

1)-----fuel gauge sending unit is still being erratic but for some reason not as much this season ?????

2)-----loose left mirror syndrome has just hit me bout a K ago

3)----a very small amount of black oil smudge on the drivers side :D of the front rocker cover-----not really a leak as it looks more like blow by when the engine is runn'n

4)----on my 3rd rear tire ( not the rods fault )---- picked up a nail in my first one-----had it changed------brought her home , took her to the ether a few times THEN noticed they put the tire on F-ing Backwards-----so i got a new tire again outta that frackus

5)----Am a little embarassed to say this , especially posting after SuperKaz , but I've only red-lined her once , in second gear, and I've never lit up the rear tire ( which I would like to do at least once ).......feel free to call me a ***** or whatever , but my baud rate isn't what it used to be , and I cant assimilate and collate input faster than my Rod can give it to me-----I DO take her to the ETHER ZONE now and again on some healthy throttle rolls.... does age 53 count ????

6)----This is my first bike ever-----I love my bike-----the bonding process continues.......

7)----a little nervous bout her going in for the 10K check and having the engine touched at all......by a mechanic that hasn't done a 10K check on a rod before.....

Well -----thats my status report.....will post if anything crops up .

Hutch:D
im 55- nail that sucker lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
41 - 60 of 70 Posts