V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading through pretty much anything on this site relating to V-Rods, I am curious as to how many people actually have not had a problem with their V-Rod. I don't mean rinky dink stuff, but things that shouldn't have really happened considering the price tag of this beauty. I guess I'm feeling slight paranoia, and need some reassurance.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Nope. Not answering cuz I don't wanna jinx myself! Uh uh. No way.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think most would agree, that for a first model year and a total departure from the norm. This is a great bike! You compare any other manufacturer's first model release, I think you will find the V-Rod in a Class all its own. Despite the occasional horror story it been pretty quiet.
Best: Steve

·
Banned
490 Posts
Keeps getting better and better

I've put over 6200 miles on my V-Rod in the past 11 months. Aside from a faulty TSSM (Turn Signal Security Module), which caused no "problems" other than a warning light coming on and was fixed in two hours under warranty, I have not had a single problem.

Of course, I should say that I a) have not modified the engine or exhaust in any way at all; b) I have faithfully followed the break-in procedure outlined in the manual; c) I have changed the oil every 1000 - 1500 miles; d) I have not dropped the bike, even when I encountered gravel in curves or a deer ran out in front of me; e) I have not raced the bike; f) I have washed the bike at least once a week during riding season, and periodically gone over all the listed "critical" fasteners, and checked tire pressure every 2-3 days; and g) I'm not really interested in "manufacturing" problems for my dealer to look at. If it ain't broke - don't mess with it.

The V-Rod may not be perfect - there are a couple of minor things that bother me a little (weeping oil from the valve covers; loose front axle bolts) - but overall I feel the V-Rod is a Harley-Davidson I can live with. Its engine has got the snot to run happily all day at 75 mph, two-up, in freeway traffic, with just a flick of the wrist to bring on passing speed. Its liquid-cooled motor does put out a lot of heat when stopped in a traffic jam on a 90 deg. day - but at least I don't have to shut the engine off, like a lot of Twin-Cam 88 owners have to (I peeked at the oil temperature gauge last time this happened - didn't even get up to 200 F). In stock trim it simply walks away from every other cruiser-style bike (I haven't encountered a V-Max yet...); and its incredible looks make the girls on the back of plastic-wrapped crotch-rockets stare in admiration.

I get really suspicious when some FNG comes onto this board and spills his tale of woe regarding his experience with the V-Rod. I'm sure that out of the 20,000 + V-Rods on the roads there are a SOME that have had some legitimate serious engine problems. But I haven't heard of anything serious from any of the VRSCA "regulars", or any of the people I know that own them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just now, a year later, have a faulty sending unit in the gas tank, aside from that, its been great. I have changed exhausts and ECM and Power Commander back and forth and have beten the crap out of the bike and have had no problems. If I were to complain, the tank could have been a gallon larger and there should have been a 6th gear or a taller 4th and 5th. Remember people typically post about problems to look for help, no one posts to say that everything is ok, in general :)

Thats all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bret: Everything is fine here, one year next month, I have the same wishes as everyone else, 6th gear, bigger tank, relocate the ignition key, I too wrestled with the first year model, and cured that with the six year extended warranty, My dealer, Ocean State HD in RI, is great to deal with. Russ D

·
Registered
318 Posts
mine is the first one the dealer got in 2002 and ive put about 9000 miles on it .the only problem i have had is having to park it and getting the grin off my face.no problems at all but did replace the rear tire at 6500 miles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
no problem

14,000 miles and I still love it! Only problem was fuel sending unit, which was replaced. I change the oil every 2k miles myself, and had a 10k checkup with dealer. Everything is A.O.K.
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
709 Posts
02, V-Mod's, S.E. air filter, Power Commander III, Syn 3, and yes I ride it hard! No problems other than it stalled twice in the spring after getting it out of winter storage.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Early 02 (January)
All available bolt-on performance mods.
Dyno tuned 120 peak RWHP
5400 miles, no leaks, no squeaks.

Minor warranty issues:
1st battery had bad cell - replaced
Headlight low-beam cover loose - repaired
Fuel sender unit failure - replaced (tomorrow)*

*My bike is out of warranty yet my dealer is replacing the sender unit n/c and giving me a Heritage Classic to putt around on while I wait.

Would I do it again? Hell yeah, without hesitation. How else would I get to Hollister next week?:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
1 year & 3000 miles. at the 1000 mile service i had the steering head lock lubed because it was real stiff, & the steering head bearings adjusted because there was a clunk over a big bump. all under warranty. no drivetrain problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Many little problems which have all been fixed by myself, through the very imformative comments and suggestions of guys on this site.Thanks!!:) Only real ***** is the fact it wont go round corners hard with the ground clearance problems,especialy two up , but it is not my Buell or my Ducatti.(Nothing peevs me more than when the boys round me up on the outside ,going around a beautiful hard fast bend)
Has anyone fitted the "on the run" fully adjustable rear air bags ,and did they solve the clearance problems under extreme riding conditions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
2002 V-Rod No problems ...

Other than hit a bungie cord on the street that sank it's S-Hook into my rear tire! Had to have the rear tire replaced - but ended up at one of the 100th anniversary dealer shindigs - so that was cool!

Made me re-define my definition of S-Hook!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been pretty lucky here too! First V-Rod in my town, 4000 + miles
later with very minor so called "problems". (ie. noise here, adjustment
there) Nothing major. I am happy with my Rod!
Brian

·
Registered
128 Posts
December 01 V-Rod, 10k miles (due for 10k service).
Front forks leaked very early after purchased (replaced seals & used stiffer oil)
Fuel sending unit replaced
Bent front wheel (my fault :)
Some dealer screw ups while servicing (it's a little unnerving to hear the service manager say "This is our first time to do _____ service on a v-rod)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts