V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I was just wondering how many of you are in the same boat as I am. I'm talking about those who post often about the rides they wish they had, but can't get yet. For me, it's torture! I've picked out the bike & the accessories that I want. The major problem is that I don't have the job to get the bike. See, I'm an out of work Information Systems professional that just can't find a job. I know that in the recent months/years, the IS department in many companies has been very scarce. I can't seem to find a job anywhere I look! Sure, it was kinda simple to find a job when I first got out of college, but now, I'm lucky to get a temp data entry position for any company. And it's not like I don't have the knowledge or experience to get a job in what I do. I have a B.S. in IS & will soon have my MCSE certification in Windows 2000 Professional. It's just that the job market is supersaturated with IS people like me fighting over a simple job. It's really hell!!

Anyways, enough with my woes. I was just wondering who else here is in a similar position as me. Who else here has their bike picked out but can't get it cuz their current position prohibits them from doing so? Please post your stories here. Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Don't sound like you really want a "Job" as you seem to be "selective in you job hunting outlook".... Sometimes it's not good to be so talanted in a field that keeps one's mind above the rest of us low lifes who would do almost anything for a buck or two.. Most all the jobs are filled by high school students, (food joints etc.) the rest filled by seasoned workers (the guys/gals who struggle for professional positions) and the newer group like yourself, is still trying to fit in... but usually are only willing to take a job that you (or they) are eduicated for.. I am jobless because I won't stoop to flippin hamburgers.... but years gone past I paid my dues with the crappy jobs no one else would take and in the end.... ended up with a fair retirement... ie we all come into the world the same way and when retirement age is near, makes no difference how you got to that stage in life as long as you get there...... and then we die... Next time you drive your car to a Job interview, think about the mechanic who made it possible, the food you just ate, the clothes on your back, the water you sip at the water fountain, the soap you showered with, the barber who cut your hair, the traffic lights that kept you safe... etc.. etc.. and compete for some of thoes "jobs" Yes they are jobs too.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Well said Doug !!!!
I would take a job, almost any job, to put away funds to buy my hog. If money is tight then take that job for $8 and keep looking for the $15 one. At least you'd be productive, putting away $$$$$ for a bike. Even then, I'd be looking at a used one with most of the things I want in a bike. Compromise is what it's all about. YOU can have a Harley........What are you willing to do for it???????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
See you invest into a future and look were it gets you "jobless". Don't assume there is going to be a job waiting for you as soon as you get your degree, because there not always going to be one. You should have went for an education were there is high demand for educated people like yourself. Nurses, teachers, etc. I'm sorry I can't respond to your question as far as not having a ride, because I do. I worked hard to get what i got and that is without a college degree. I also went to college and quit because a factory job is paying me more than I would have made as a teacher. Go figure. The only problem with factory jobs is that they lack job security. You know, this topic would be never ending. So go get you a job and go buy that reality bike! Never say it is a dream, just say it will be reality.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you are a recent college grad you might consider going back for another degree, depending on your profession's outlook. The company I work for has VERY few IS or IT people working here in the states. When I call the computer help desk I'm talking to INDIA!!! That's the global economy I guess.

If you don't like the future of your profession don't wait too long to jump into something else. Think about the steelworkers in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, etc in the early to mid 80's. A lot of young workers stayed in the steel industry instead of getting trained for something with a future. Now they're 40-50, out of work, and too old to start over with something new.

Chilly

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Doug said:
Don't sound like you really want a "Job" as you seem to be "selective in you job hunting outlook"....
I disagree. He spoke as if he were taking the lower paying data entry jobs while continuing to search for what he wants (and better pay too). To a college grad, I/T professional, data entry / entry level help desk is functionally equivalent to flipping burgers. The only real benefit is that being in I/T there may be a slim chance of advancement once your foot is in the door. A better description would be "starting over". Not saying it's not an honorable job... just that those jobs that are "readily" available pay $6-7/hr if they haven't already sold out to India. A good parallel would be a successful engineer earning $60-70k a year getting laid off and taking a job carrying around a transit for a survey team. It's worth a few bucks and may help ends meet but still a royal smack-down mentally as well as the paycheck.

As luck would have it, I started my I/T career later in life and still have the tools of my last trade. The tool chests have wheels and can roll out of the garage like they rolled in a few years ago. :) I'll be turning wrenches again before I flip any burgers :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
With degree you can catch a job in lots of retail and food service as a manager, this is usually a good paying job if you work in the right places. Also looks good when you can apply for IT manager because you know cpus and have managment experince. I am an IT manager for a little non profit..... I helped with some grants for free.....then they got the grants and hired me....... Truthfully i doubt a year from no anyone would care you were working out of you field.......but i doubt you'll ever see IT come back like it was... it was a big monster that ate itself. I vote go back to school...as long as economy is ****ed mine as well get a MBA.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I too went school and got my MCSE at age 40. I had a nice support position paying around 40k and was looking to move on up. Then the bottom fell, laid off, out and no jobs to be found. Luckily for me I was a plumber for years and could go back to it. I make more now than I did in IT. It's good to have a trade to fall back on. My experience can never be taken away. When I was about 33 I went to school and got an AS in electronics. Worked 5 years for Texas Instruments and was sold off to Raytheon where I was soon laid off. I've tried several times to get out of the custruction field, wanted to start working more with my mind than my back, only to be right back in it. In a way I'm dissappointed but at the same time I'm thankfull to have a decent paying job that is usually always in demand. Actually I have good helpers now so my physical labor is minimal. Learned the trade from my dad who did it all his life. I am able to afford my Harley. Now if I could just get all these student loans payed off.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, I thank you all for your input. I have been looking very hard for an ideal job in my area. I know that they are very hard to come by these days, so I am willing to take a position that will get my foot in the door (data entry, clerical, etc.). I figure if I do a good enough job in a temp position, someone will notice and move to hire me full time. That's my hope at least. That may or may not happen, but I know myself well enough & know that I can perform any job well beyond any employer's expectations. All I'm looking for is that initial chance. But like I said, it's so hard to find for people like me. IT professionals come a dime a dozen around here, so I need some type of edge to show employers that I'm more than just an all-around useful employee. That's where the MCSE certification comes in. Once I get that, I'm most certain that it will spring me to the front of the job market. But now a new problem arises. I don't have the money to pay for the test fee ($125 a pop). Being out of work for only a bit over a week has hurt me so much that I don't have any spare cash at all. So, without the money, no test. Without the test, no definitive credibility. It's a vicious downward spiral.

Bottom line is, I need to find a job quick. It doesn't really matter so much what it is, as long as I'm on the clock & makin cash. Wait, lemme revise that. I won't take certain jobs that will destroy my self-esteem and faith in my profession. I won't mention any particular jobs here. Let's just say that my last position was one that I wasn't really suited for. Looking at it from a financial point of view, going from a $50,000 a year job to less than a $20,000 a year job is enough to destroy anyone's dignity. I hope you guys see what I'm saying here. I have nothing against those who make less than $20,000 a year (I admire them right now), it's just that I could sure use the extra cash to pay off my debts & propel me towards my dream of owning a Harley.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Recall a tale from Easyrider some 20-25 years ago - club gave a prospect $1.00 to come up w/a scoot.

He hit the swap meet trail, and eventually, thru some shrewd dealing an' a whole lot of fast talking, did it.

Maybe...:D :D :D

Hope ya find yer pot o' gold - or chrome - quick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts