V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Road King standard which has 13,000 miles. It looks like I still have pad material front and back as I rack up many highway miles. I use front/back equally to brake. Anybody have an idea how long the pads will last based upon personal experience? I am getting a slight squeek from the rear when I first start off from 0-15 MPH. No noise when I apply the rear brake though. I am thinking I may have a stone or debris stuck in the caliper or drive belt causing the noise. Don't want to ruin the rotors though if my pads are shot.

·
Registered
772 Posts
07roadking60

I was able to get about 24,000 miles out of the OEM rear pads on my 2005 Road Glide and still have the originals in the front with 30,000 miles on the odometer. I too ride mostly highway and mostly use the tranny and the both brakes to stop. When it comes time to replace, I will not use the HD replacements. Too much brake dust for me. I have heard that the Lyndall Pads are great and don't leave your rims caked with that black brake dust.-2$en#e-

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
07roadking60 said:
I have an 07 Road King standard which has 13,000 miles. It looks like I still have pad material front and back as I rack up many highway miles. I use front/back equally to brake. Anybody have an idea how long the pads will last based upon personal experience? I am getting a slight squeek from the rear when I first start off from 0-15 MPH. No noise when I apply the rear brake though. I am thinking I may have a stone or debris stuck in the caliper or drive belt causing the noise. Don't want to ruin the rotors though if my pads are shot.
I have 51,000 miles on my 04 electraGlide and still have original rear pads and they still look like they have over 1/2 there thickness left. I changed the fronts to Lyndells at about 18,000 miles because I wanted better brakes. The originals looked great and they Lyndells still have over 1/2 thier orginal thickness.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
26,000 on both front and rear on my EG Classic. Predicting will get around 30,000 - 35,000 out of them.

I'm a tech, and have changed customer's rear pads at 5,000 miles.... of course, their fronts looked brand new.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
There are too many variables involved to give a good estimate. I have averaged between 10 and 12,000 on my rear pads and I was able to get 21,000 out of my fronts.

·
Riding With The Son
204 Posts
Wow - what a lot of variability! I got 15k out of my rear pads before they needed changing. Don't know about the fronts though; mine are still OK.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i didnt think mine would ever wear out. on my 98road king i finally replaced my original front ones at 90,000 miles. i usually get 25,000 on the rear. didnt do too much 2 up riding in that 90,000 miles though. and lots of rural riding.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. I put the bike up on a lift and determined it isn't the pads causing the squeek. I think it is the belt tension or the new IDS sprocket I had installed.

Where can you purchase the Lyndell pads?

·
Registered
287 Posts
"I think it is the belt tension or the new IDS sprocket I had installed. "

Wheel alignment can cause the belt to rub on one side of the pulley. With bike on lift, rotate wheel forwards and check the belt in the pulley. Adjust accordingly.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
I'm at 26000 on my front pads and they still look like new, I changed my rear pads at 24000 and I still had over 1/2 left. I could have left them in, but I already bought the pads and it's a good time to do it since I was swapping the rear tire.

Steve

·
Registered
967 Posts
As Maine states above, I change the brake pads everytime I change the front and rear tires. Easier that way. On my third set now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lyndall Z Plus pads are great. I changed my front ones at about 12,000 miles mostly to get rid of the swish, swish, swish that I got from the OEM pads. The rear ones never gave me that trouble, or maybe I just don,t notice it as much because there is only one set on the rear (I have a FLHRCI) or maybe because of the location. Anyway, I would get the Lyndall pads again anytime.

The rear pads now have 22,000 on them and still look very good. I saved the front pads when I took them off and may use them on the back when the time comes because they are still 50-75% of original.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
10,000 front, 20,000 rear, use Lyndal gold pads, just installed the z pads so we will see how they do.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
22, 38, 52k. After 1str set istarted riding 2 up alot. But think it is something that can really vary.

Last set was probably still good. But the ones at 38, were awful started makign noise, suddenly, barely anything left.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just replaced mine at 20K with EBC HH.

They weren't worn evenly; from the front, they looked great. When I removed them to change the front tire, I noticed that they were very thin on the back edge.

Original rears look good.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
36k and fronts are still original. Replaced rear at 29k.

Bwana01

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Folks, if you are changing out your rear brake pads before your front pads you are not using your brakes correctly. Please go take a rider course before you hurt yourself or someone else.

·
Registered
121 Posts
ChopperDude said:
26,000 on both front and rear on my EG Classic. Predicting will get around 30,000 - 35,000 out of them.

I'm a tech, and have changed customer's rear pads at 5,000 miles.... of course, their fronts looked brand new.

That was very tactfully wrote LOL"

I'm much more blunt to my customers, if they are replacing the
rear brake pads before the front brake pads I tell them to go and
take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Class and then go to some
track days at their nearest road race track and learn how to ride
a motorcycle properly. Their second option is to sell their
motorcycle that they have no clue how to ride and stick to their
car or SUV that takes no skill to drive at all.

IF: You wear your rear brake pads out before you wear the fronts
out you don't know how to ride a motorcycle and should do your
loved ones a favor and quit riding before you hurt or kill yourself"

·
Registered
121 Posts
cwo2lt said:
Folks, if you are changing out your rear brake pads before your front pads you are not using your brakes correctly. Please go take a rider course before you hurt yourself or someone else.

That is a fact my friend and very well said!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts