V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article in CityBike, a Bay Area bike publication that said the average bike in the United States was only ridden about 1,600 miles a year, and the average Harley was only ridden 1,200 miles a year. The gist of the article was that motorcycles have become a toy in wealthy countries. I was shocked the numbers were that low.

I usually ride between 5,000 and 6,000 miles a year. The last few years I have been riding more since one of my buddies learned to ride and we generally ride just about every Sunday now when the weather is nice.

So I was wondering, do you think these figures are accurate, and how many miles do you ride in an average year?

·
Registered
597 Posts
average between 10,000 to 12,000 every year - pretty good for MN I think.

This year might fall below average due to the shortage of that green stuff that makes things go around. I'll make up for it next year with a ride out to the west coast hopefully.

·
Iron Butt
878 Posts
@gree:
10K - 12K...Got 9K so far this year, so I may exceed the 12K mark...

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And while I usually ride between 5-6,000 miles a year, this year in May I did a cross country trip and I think I've ridden about 13,000 miles in the past year.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I bought my 2007 FLHRC brand new in August of 2006. Traded it in on my 2011 FLHRC in September of 2010. In between I put 46,000 miles on that motor, averaging 11,500 a year.

I took delivery of my 2011 on September 25, 2010. It currently has 9,800 miles on it. I don't ride as much as I use to. :)

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I get about 10-12 K a year. I think my most is 19K, and my least was 4400 last year, but that was mainly due to some issues with my right hand that eventuall led to a couple different surgeries, with another one early this year.

All sqaured up now finally, and probably still gonna get in 6-8K.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
I've ridden 60K miles in the last 7 years, that's on a sportster, a fatboy, a bandit, and an R6 (I like variety and usually had two bikes). Only 1 bike now, an FLTRX, but I'm lookin' for a nice rubber mount sporty, I miss it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I average between 10k and 12k, but I have been know to ride 18k per year.

I think that if you factor all the bikes that are bought as status symbols, the referenced average posted by the OP is probably correct. We, on this forum, are probably not your average bikers. Most of us like to ride or talk about it anyway! :redrolf:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got my sportster the middle of May this year, a 2002 with 11,000 mi on it. It has 16,400 on it now with at least one more 1,000+ mile trip coming up next month heading north on 101. Just guessing but probably will be close to 10,000 this year. Smiling every mile of it!

·
Registered
208 Posts
just bought my bike this spring, and 7k miles on it so far. The first month or so I was just learning so I didnt put many miles on her. so about... 1500 mile per month going back and forth to work, if i go out of town tack on maybe another 900-1000 miles to east texas and back.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An awful lot of us are averaging 10-12K a year. So if the average Harley owner rides 1,200 miles a year, we are upping the average meaning there are many who ride less than 1,000 miles a year.

I know one of these guys. He rides his bike, usually whatever Harley offers that is painted totally black, about 500 miles a year. He usually only on Sundays, when he rides to and from a few bars where he nurses a beer or gets dinner. He trades his bike into Dudley Perkins Harley Davidson every five years with about 2,500 miles on it. He gets what he wants out of it, and some lucky second owner gets a five year old HD with 2,500 miles on it at a lower price than if the guy was buying new, yet he is getting an almost new bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I usually average 10,000 miles per year. Not a hard feat in South Ga if you just get out and ride. I'm allowed one long trip per year by the wife. Love the North Ga mountains.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got my first Harley, '01 FXDL, last August....put 11,000 mile on it in 11 months.

Bought an '11 Street Glide on July 5th this year....it has 5,000 miles on it now. Just tripped 5K on the way to work this morning.

I know there are those who treat their bikes as toys to be used occasionally, and that's fine. I, however, bought mine to ride...all year long!

Heading up to Maggie Valley, NC in two weeks for more delightful miles....hope to see some of you there!

Stay safe....

·
Enjoying a great Ride.
807 Posts
When I wrecked my 07 RG In March 2011 I had 54000, 13.5k avg I also had a 05 Dyna I sold 4 months ago with 22000,

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I bought a Road King Classic new in April 2008. It now has just over 55,000 miles on it. So that is about 15,700 miles per year.

But one of my best friends has a 2005 Road King Classic which he trailers to Daytona and Sturgis to ride there, and occasionally rides to work, and he has put on less than 2000 miles per year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been averaging 7-8000 miles for a few years now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts