V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '06 Ultra that I've installed the 95" kit on. I went with the normal 203 cams, SE intake, Stage II ECM, and V&H Oval Slipons. I have a PCIII but with the new heads for '06 (not to mention new injectors) there really isn't a map at the Dynojet site for my config. I contacted them and they said soon. That was over a month ago. :huh:

So here's the question. Since I seriously interested in a dyno tune (had one done on my '04 Softail and it runs great) how many miles should I put on the new cylinders/pistons/rings before putting it on a dyno? Is it okay to do it now or should I put some miles on it first? If so, how many?

Thanks for any advice,
Tom

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's kind of what I was thinking but I had a few friends that said do it anytime. I'd feel more comfortable putting some miles on it first but I just wanted to get some verfication that I wasn't just being overly careful.

Thanks for the response.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
On my current RG and on the last one I put in 1000 miles to just let the parts all gell together and the motor loosen up just a tad before thrashing on it on a dyno. The 1000 mile service got done at the same time as the dyno work.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
GrayRider said:
If the motor was already broken in when the top end was done, many builders seat the rings on the dyno by putting about 20 miles on it. Then they tune away.
FWIW, I put 200 on mine and had it tuned. Seems fine to me, 92hp, 98 torque with no headwork and drag pipes. 1200 miles now and no oil usage and great power. I don't think I hurt it any.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts