V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have installed oil coolers and is it necessary for engine longevity? PS I live in Louisiana, HOT HOT HOT

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Oil cooler...

I live in Nothern California. During the hot spells it's way over 100. I installed the Motor Companies "premium" cooler on my RG. When it's very hot, I've noticed little or no change in oil temp at cruising and highway speeds. That's when that little radiator has the most air passing through it. If I were to do it over, I'd either do nothing, opt for the parade fan ( at least there'd be more air moving at lower speeds), or install a more efficient oil pump like the Feuling.

My cooler was a bit of a pain to install and the oil lines are routed around and under where I think they might eventually rub from expansion/contraction. If that happens, I won't know until they leak as visual inspection is nearly impossible.

I run pure synthetic (Amsoil when I can, otherwise Mobil 1) as dinosaur breaks down at around 250F.

Just my -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I live in AR (your neighbor to the north) and I've installed coolers on both my Softail and Ultra. Unlike GreatEscape I've noticed about a 20 degree difference since before the cooler. They work for me with the only problem being tighter access to the oil filter. I just changed the oil in the Ultra for the first time myself (the dealer handled the previous couple) and the hoses make getting to the filter a little tougher but not too bad.

I know what the temp (and don't forget the humidity) is like in this part of the country and I've have to give a thumbs up to the coolers.

Tom

·
Registered
250 Posts
I put the HD Premium oil cooler on my '00 FLHT and it appeared to drop the oil temps about 20 degrees.

I had not planned on installing an oil cooler because the oil line routing of the origional HD twin cam oil coolers was a cluster #@$%!

As I remember, the fall of 2003 HD came out with the "Premium" oil cooler that had the adapter plate at the oil filter housing to hook up the oil lines. The origional coolers ran the lines back behind the engine similar to the design of the EVO oil coolers.

Anyway, I found that my '00 Twin Cam engine made some really bad noise when the oil temp went above 240 degrees. When I finally decided to install an oil cooler was the fall of '03 when HD came out the the "Premium" design. With that cooler, I have not seen the oil temp go about 235 degrees and it typically runs 220 on really hot days.

By the way, the thermostat appears to open at about 180 degrees so the engine warms up normally.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
My buddy put the Premium Oil Cooler on his EG. When we were in the Badlands at 105 degrees this summer, his bike was about 20 degrees cooler than mine all the time. I believe it works but damn that thing is expensive. I'll probably install one this summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't yet, but was going to. I have an 05 Ultra, even up here in Massachusetts the thing gets way to hot in the summer. My previous scoot was a Yamaha Silverado 1602 air cooled and that bike ran pretty cool. This is my first Harley and I was shocked by how hot the thing was. Folks said it was normal, dealer said so too. I got one of the digital thermometers (it's accurate as I tested it in boiling water) and it says my engine oil is around 260 average after pulling off the road for a spell. When I had the stage 1 done (with SE slip-ons) the dealer dyno'd her and said all was fine even with the 260 plus degree oil.

I made an appointment with one of our better dealers up here a few days agao and they tried to talk me out of it. Said the alluminium engine dissipates heat exceptionally well, that's why it's so hot. Also said the factory doesnt recommend the cooler (unless you ride in 110+ all the time). Now I'm not sure what to do, I can find other uses for 500+ for the thing installed. My girl won't get on it when it's over 80 degrees out, just can't keep her legs down just too dang hot.

I run synthetic now, not much of a difference maybe 5 or 10 degrees. I figure the cooler might get me another 10 or 15?

Anyone else from up north with an Ultra that thinks the Oil cooler should be added?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
tons of threads on this. Major consensus seems to be if you live down south you should get one. Also sure doesn't hurt. Adds about 1/2 quart of oil, may give you little more cooling when stopped, but air needs to be moving for it t work.

I put one on before heading down south. I don't really notice a difference. But figure it probably helps.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
My husband put 2 oil coolers on his Bourget along with a long oil filter - he gained about a quart of oil, and it does help the bike run cooler, but it was expensive and the bike still overheats in certain situations. I think it'd probably be worth it down here where it gets so stinkin' hot - an oil cooler is less expensive than a new motor...

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
What are you people whining about? It gets warm and humid where most of you live, you want HOT, you gotta move to the desert! 115-120 degrees, now that's hot!

I haven't put an oil cooler on my bike, and I don't know anybody that lives here that has (I'm sure people have, I just haven't met any riders that installed an oil cooler). Haven't had any problems with any of my bikes, regardless of what time of day I ride.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Once upon a time I had a oil cooler, that is until a rock got chucked through the sucker while I was on a trip.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I have a Jagg frame mounted cooler installed on the left side downtube. It is a very easy, clean installation, using their oil cooler adapter, that screws onto your oil filter adapter. I used the plastic spiral wiring wrap on the rubber lines for extra protection. I plan on replacing the lines from time to time, as prevenative maintenance. Also bought the cover to put on the cooler when it is about 60 degress or cooler, or when riding where there is a lot of junk on the road. The cover velcro straps allow for quick on/off. I use the HD oil temp dipstick and have a fairing mounted oil temp gauge, and it runs 20 degrees cooler. Just got the S&S oil filter adapter back from being powdercoated (comes polished) and it eliminates the filter adapter with tapped cooler fittings, and also repositioning the filter for easier access. This cooler setup looks great, comes in black or chrome, is right IN the airstream, not blocked by the front tire, and is not exposed to things being thrown up from the front tire! But like any cooler, it will only work with air flowing across it! This item is in the Drag Spec catalog, runs $100 for the adapter, and about $200 for the cooler setup.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a cooler on the 02 Dyna and wife's 05 Sporty, and it has helped. How much? I can only guess. Enough that just the peace of mind had me install on on the Street Glide before I picked it up.

Maryland may not be real hot, but it didn't matter. The coolers were there when I wanted. Last July in Vegas and runs around Nevada (that is warm!!!) and the run up to Santa Fe. Also the trip back with stops in Phenoix and Tucson. I don't plan on just running local, so I am thankful I had them installed.

I don't know how much they really help, and others will give you plus & minus stories. Ya just have to ask yourself if you are comfortable without or if you will worry less about heat with them. How much is the peace of mind worth to you.

·
(hp x 5252) / rpm = :)
49 Posts
Recently added the MoCo's Premium Oil Cooler and now running Royal Purple....now all I have to do is to get the temp lcd display on the dipstick to work then I can tell you what the temp is.....thing quit working after 6 months.....batteries perhaps.

These oil coolers certainly can't hurt anything as it only gets hotter by the day down here......:)

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Warm and sandy greetings from Saudi.
I have a cooler on my Road King over here, depending on what kind of driving I am doing I see anywhere from 1 to 15...maybe 20 degrees difference between now and before I got it. There is probably just as much value in the extra volume of oil than anything else. As has been mentioned a good tune up will get you a few degrees. If you live in the country and do very little city driving you won't see much difference. Here in the city I think it helps when going from one red light to the next during rush hour, but airflow is the key. The powers that be over here in paradise have not seen fit to sequence the traffic lights so I tend to do a lot of coasting up to the next light, which is almost always red, instead of keeping the speed up and then having to use the brakes. I'm guessing but I think 15MPH of airflow for 45 seconds is better than 35MPH for 15 seconds before sitting for another 2 minutes.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I'm in the south of Europe, but a 50 miles from Africa and the weather here is very hot.

The oil cooler works very well on my big bore dyna, and the engine is cooler than other bikers without it. It works.

My 0.05

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
I installed the Super Premium oil filter on my Ultra and it's been fine so far, no leaks or problems. The biggest issue is when the bike is stopped or going slow in hot weather, the oil cooler isn't going to help you too much except buy you additional time. The bike simply starts to heat up from a lower temp when you have a cooler.

Took me about 4 hours to do the job and it's pretty difficult to get to all of the bolts, but I managed. If you don't have a good selection of tools, let the dealer install it for you.

I think it's a worthwhile addition if you buy it from Hales or one of the other online discounters.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
deucedog said:
I installed the Super Premium oil filter on my Ultra and it's been fine so far, no leaks or problems. The biggest issue is when the bike is stopped or going slow in hot weather, the oil cooler isn't going to help you too much except buy you additional time. The bike simply starts to heat up from a lower temp when you have a cooler.

Took me about 4 hours to do the job and it's pretty difficult to get to all of the bolts, but I managed. If you don't have a good selection of tools, let the dealer install it for you.

I think it's a worthwhile addition if you buy it from Hales or one of the other online discounters.
I agree that the bolts are a PITA for sure but it is a nice cooler. If mine ever goes I will replace with a JAG Side mount.

It is my first cooler and I have to say I see a 10-20 degree drop after the initial install a while back.

Be sure to rig a ] connection to have in your travel kit in case you take a rock and start bleeding all over the place. I used a piece of copper bent as above ] and two hose clamps. I think you or Little Bear gave me this tip, and I took it to heart.

Also agree that an online 20% takes a little of the sting out. One of those things that I feel cant hurt, probably helps, and I do see a reduction in oil temp.

If had a do over, I would use the Super Premium oil filter mount and a Jag cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I live in Minnesota but its hot enough in July and August to give me pinging fits...so last winter I converted my crash guard to a oil cooler; and installed a oil temp guage in place of that junk air temp gauge.

I rode 275 miles last weekend in 78* weather and the highest temp indicated at my oil pan was 175*:clap: ...I'd say its working well.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I recently purchased a used one and it will be going on my classic soon. I just need to get the job done.
Has anyone experienced any oil leaking with the premimum oil cooler?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts