V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
I have one too.

There are actually two versions of 1984's. Early and late. Earlies basically use the came primary and clutch as the previous shovel head scooters. Lates have a new (for then) wet clutch, and many of the drive castings and parts only fit late 84. And there are several differences in the wiring harnesses depending on what month it was built.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been reading all I can about my 84 FXRS, mine is a Evo but I'm reading in 1984 there were FXRS Shovel's and Evo's made. Question if 5,703 were made in 84 does anyone know how many were Shovel and how many were Evo?

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
I have been reading all I can about my 84 FXRS, mine is a Evo but I'm reading in 1984 there were FXRS Shovel's and Evo's made. Question if 5,703 were made in 84 does anyone know how many were Shovel and how many were Evo?
I don't know what your reading source is, but you need another source. All 84 FXR's had Evo's in them. The only Shovel motors in 84 were for a very few police FL's Those were scooters that had been contracted for the previous year.

When the MoCo announced the end of the Shovelhead to their fleet customers, some placed orders in 83 for delivery in next calendar year. Fearing the cost of retooling and training on short notice, as well as having issues with an unproven motor.

All FRX's were built at York PA. Power trains were assembled in the frame, by hand. Which is why the FXR was dropped while the Dyna lived on.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I don't know what your reading source is, but you need another source. All 84 FXR's had Evo's in them. The only Shovel motors in 84 were for a very few police FL's Those were scooters that had been contracted for the previous year.

When the MoCo announced the end of the Shovelhead to their fleet customers, some placed orders in 83 for delivery in next calendar year. Fearing the cost of retooling and training on short notice, as well as having issues with an unproven motor.

All FRX's were built at York PA. Power trains were assembled in the frame, by hand. Which is why the FXR was dropped while the Dyna lived on.

But to be precise there were Many 1984 Shovelhead 4 Speeds
Only the Rubbermounts got the Evo in 1984
Sportsters were also Not Evo BTW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the correction its very confusing to me reading all the articles and trying to understand what I have. According to my vin as you say mine was built in York. So I guess I can say I own one of 5703 manufactured in 84. She has been road hard and put up wet so I have a lot of work to get her ready for my trip to Utah from Florida..I'm 76 and the ride in the desert is on my list.
The bike has a bad wobble at about 45 mph the clutch shifts really hard and slips plus after buying it on my second ride the rear head gasket blue. I don't care I love this bike and I will make it road worthy. Regarding the clutch should I consider just replacing it with a Barnett Scorpion Clutch Kit? Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated
Lastly thank you all for your help and ideas.
Jim Bob
20200203_121126[1].jpg
20200203_121153[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Thanks for the correction its very confusing to me reading all the articles and trying to understand what I have. According to my vin as you say mine was built in York. So I guess I can say I own one of 5703 manufactured in 84. She has been road hard and put up wet so I have a lot of work to get her ready for my trip to Utah from Florida..I'm 76 and the ride in the desert is on my list.
The bike has a bad wobble at about 45 mph the clutch shifts really hard and slips plus after buying it on my second ride the rear head gasket blue. I don't care I love this bike and I will make it road worthy. Regarding the clutch should I consider just replacing it with a Barnett Scorpion Clutch Kit? Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated
Lastly thank you all for your help and ideas.
Jim Bob View attachment 264232 View attachment 264233 .
My guess is the gasket let go because it was Not warmed up properly prior to riding it like a *** Bike
Spend your time and money learning exactly what you have.. ie my '82 is still essentially stock.. so learning how to do the things like properly adjust the clutch is mandatory
Luckily I came from Shovelhead, Ironhead World.. so easy transition!!!
Study, ask, attempt, adapt
Finally, have fun

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,460 Posts
Man, if you go down to the FXR sub-forum you'll find much educational reading. There are also threads that compile and discuss all kinds of production stats.

I like yours and hope you have great fun with it. Oh, and I used to have an '84 FXRT.

joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have one too.

There are actually two versions of 1984's. Early and late. Earlies basically use the came primary and clutch as the previous shovel head scooters. Lates have a new (for then) wet clutch, and many of the drive castings and parts only fit late 84. And there are several differences in the wiring harnesses depending on what month it was built.
Early FXR’s were Shovleheads, lates were EVO’s!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts