V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at selling my Heritage and getting an Electra-Glide. My only major issue is the much higher center of gravity on the E-Glide compared to my bike. How much can you SAFELY lower an E-Glide? I'm sure it's something I'd get used to, but I figured I'd ask to see what everyone else thought.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Well first of all the E-glide does not have a high center of gravity. E-glides handle better then most big bikes. I can turn mine around in a very tight circle with no problems. The only time my bike has felt a little top heavy was when my wife loaded the crap out of the tour pac on a trip.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went from a Heritage(lowered) to a Road King.I agree on the handling,but a very slow speeds ,getting in out of the garage,or slow speed gravel, i had a tough time..but Im shorter too(30" inseam). I have a Cobin dual tour seat and Legends air ride on it now.Just hit the dump button and shes on the ground lower than a lowered Softail.Makes life alot easier moving around.

·
Life is grand!
416 Posts
Lowered both front and back 1". No problems. I have a 31" inseam.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I lowered mine front and back 1", I kind of liked the looks of a lowered bagger. I've ridden a couple of Heritage and a Fatboy. I prefer the handling of my Ultra, it doesn't feel top heavy to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How'd you all do the lowering? HD low profile touring shocks and front lowering kit? And did the ride suffer from the rider's standpoint and more importantly (!) the passenger?

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I used the HD stuff, it does ride a touch stiffer. I don't realy notice the ride, the wife hasn't said anything either. I thought about putting a set of progressive shocks on but have found other things to spend money on.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I have an ultra and tend to ride agressively, scrapping the running boards & pipes on occasion. I hesitate to lower the bike any more than stock

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info, msocko3. I'd think it would have to be a little stiffer than stock, but it's got to better for my wife than my Fatboy w/ stock pillion, right?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I also had the Progressive 440's..didnt think they rode much different than the stockers..def. didnt feel they were worth it.I bought my Legends used for 650.00,but at least they ride good and the way they drop the bike when parked and no air in them looks great.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
bigteste said:
Thanks for the info, msocko3. I'd think it would have to be a little stiffer than stock, but it's got to better for my wife than my Fatboy w/ stock pillion, right?
I'd say its a little stiffer than stock. My wife likes it much better than the Sporty that I used to have. She has the habit of falling asleep on the nice warm days so that should be a indication of comfort.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, bro. I'll be pullin' the trigger on a glide soon...probably an EGC. Think I'll have to sell fatboy myself first though cuz first offer for trade-in was a joke.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
bigteste said:
Thanks, bro. I'll be pullin' the trigger on a glide soon...probably an EGC. Think I'll have to sell fatboy myself first though cuz first offer for trade-in was a joke.
When your buying make sure you look hard at the Ultra also just in case later on you decide you want some of the extras it offers. I bought a EGC late September 04 and kept it almost a year and just a shade over 9k miles before my 06 Ultra came in. There was nothing wrong with the Classic, just wanted the Cruise, CB and Intercom that the Ultra had.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts