V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the groups thoughts on how long a brand new, well-maintained TC88 Harley will last?

I've had a couple of the larger *** bikes last me for over 40,000 miles before getting rid of them. And they still ran good. I always take good care of my vehicles.

But, IMHO, a Harley is in a whole different league, and I think that I'd be tempted to keep a HD for much longer. So before I fork over $18,000 or so, I'd like to get some feedback on how long a HD that's driven pretty much every day (in the summer) can reasonably be expected to last.

I see the nice old HD's that have been around forever at the shows, but I'm talking about real-world bikes that get ridden often.

Anybody got over 100,000 miles on theirs? More?

·
old timer
516 Posts
A well maintained and not beaten HD can go 300,000 easy. I see dressers out there with those kind of miles on them.

Now are you talking about how long they'll go before needing maintenance or over haul, or how long will the bike be around?

manny

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an '94 FLHTCU, which has will over 76 thousand miles on it, and It is still going Strong...I do regular maintenance, and if I have any major mechanical work done, I would have it done by professonal Mechanics . They will last, as long , you take care of them...just like anything else...I'm sold on them.......Hog :cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
A co-worker of mine has just over 108k on his 88 FXR. It's his only transportation. He beats the pi$$ out of it and its still running strong. Another guy has close to 70k on his 00 FLHT w/95" kit another guy who can't keep his hand out of the throttle! I think I remember reading in HOG Tales or something that a guy had something like 500K on his FLHTC.

calvin3

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
In a way they last indefinitely.

Even if after many years and miles they need major overhaul, the cost in relationship to the retained value of the bike is not really out of line.

This is the downfall of many japanese bikes. As soon as a model is no longer in production it becomes almost impossible to obtain parts, or at least you have to wait big time. There is mostly no aftermarket replacement for hard parts.
They are reliable but when something major happens (and it does) it more often then not it makes no sense to repair them due to the exorbitant cost in particular when compared to the retained value.

I don't see that many shovels on the road anymore, but I know for a fact that many of them are being rebuilt, as we do the machinework on them and the volume is real steady. They have not been built for almost 20 years now.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
My Dyna "Super Glide" has 72,000 miles (all riden by little ole' me) and has not had a single problem. All I have done is change the oil and the filters and of course the "as directed" Harley maintence.

I have a friend of mine who is going to purchase it when I get my FatBoy and already has plans to up the displacement after a little engine cleaning...

The great thing is being a "HOG" she is still a very desirable bike!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Ralph said:
My wifes Superglide has almost 2700 miles on it ( traveled together) and and we're still talking!!!:D
Damn, now that's one for the record books, no "But Honey, not tonight my butt is too sore"... :D Auh, a good seat when riding with your loved one?.... "Priceless" ;)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
JettaTDI,

As the other posts state, it is how you maintane your scoot. My own experience with my 89FLSTC was cam & lifter replacement along with carb at 100,000 miles, Rear belt and sprocket at 123,000 miles.

It was still going strong at 167.742 miles. Hope this gives you an idea as to what you are looking for in a H.D.

Ride Safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts