V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! Im new here obviously, but ive been lurking around in the back ground for a few weeks now. Seem like a great forum with a great bunch of people.

Ive been putting alot of thought into purchasing the new 06 Street Bob. This will be my first Harley. Just curious what the typical milage is on the Twin Cam 88 engine when it needs a rebuild.

Also, and please excuse me for asking this, but obviously theres alot of talk about the reliability of a Harley, some positive, some negative. The few Harley riders that I know tell me that with the new engines, oil leaks and other problems are a thing of a past and that should not be concerned with this. While other riders (aka, metric riders) claim the oposite. I would just like to here some opionions on this from other people to maybe help ease this concern.

I'll be out-of-town tomarrow and over the weekend, so I won't be able to answer any questions right away, so i'll go ahead and say thanks for the responses!

Brandon:beer4u:

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I know guys with over 100,000 miles on TC88s. No problems at all. My best friend has 40,000 on his 2002 FXST, and never been in the shop. He is going to have his cam chain tensioners checked this summer. Don't listen to metric riders. If you find yourself tempted to ask them a question, it is just like drugs - just say no.. :coffee:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

I put over 100,000 miles on my 1984 FXR Evo, and 60,000 miles on a FLT Evo without any engine problems. My '05 Twin-Cam is definitely a better motor than those two were. I expect that it will be at least as reliable as the Evo. The chain tensioners appear to be problematic and deserve periodic checks (25-30k miles).

If you look at the Forum posts many "problems" appear to be self inflicted. I.E. A stock Harley is very reliable, depending on the mod, and who does the mod, they become less reliable. So when you set-off to modify your bike, use quality parts and get someone that KNOWS what they are doing to do the work. Working on your bike without benefit of the genuine Harley-Davidson Service Manual(s) is not a good idea.

Lastly, this Forum is not the best place to get information about Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Ducati, etc. Many here have owned, or own, different marques but expect opinions to favor Harley-Davidson. Likewise other Forums have their own prejudice.

You might read the test reports in Motorcycle Consumer News as a source for unbiased (mostly) information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.