V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes: Hello everyone! I have had a lot of people ask me, why buy a V Rod the first year out? It will have a lot of kinks to work out, and I should wait until HD fine tunes them. Why go with something new, when you can get tried and true? I do not go with this philosophy, and have had to fight back the hords, with unqualified answers, since I do not have my bike yet ( should be here within the week) I told them about this forum, and they will look for your answers, by the way these are Harley riders from the old school ( they will get a laugh from this) I think this bike is a fantastic new addition to the HD family, and it fits the type of bike style I have been looking for, for years. I do not want to spend MORE money, on a bike to UPGRADE it to be fast, this bike is fantastic stock, with no modifications, except maybe the seat, rack, and fairing. I have not heard the bike, nor seen one on the road where I live( YAY!!) so I do not know if the pipes are too quiet for my liking.....your thoughts?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bobby----Prepare Thyself

The engine is simply awesome-------i'm pushin 3700, and the engine is getting stronger------pipes are change'n tone too--------more throaty----deep-----no oil or collant leaks

I'm like you-----didn't want to buy a bike and then start modify'n it-----outta the box and off the floor a mean 115 hp--------its got it all-----after you roll past your 500 mile break-in you will be amazed-------your bike is gonna try and pull itself outta your hands and try and push the seat between your cheeks, cuz your in its way........and it just keeps on com'n----it'll take you to the "ETHER ZONE" faster than you can think

On a full cranked throttle say in 2nd , 3rd , or 4th , a strange thing happens at 6K-------you'll fell like an afterburner has kicked in------don't know if your like me, but at that point my baud rate can't assimillate all thats goin on , and my cerebral rev limiter ( AKA self preservation ) kicks in and rolls my right hand foward......Hey, I'll be 53 shortly, so whattaya spect......

I've never had mine past 7k, and thats alright with me--------i'm will'n to guess that there are not many Rod owners that have taken them "HammerDown" to the 9K realm , for the above reasons.....

Get ready to RUMBLE .............your in for an experience.

Hutch

·
Registered
695 Posts
Bobby Deerfield,
Find a way to get the "Birth of the V-ROD" on DVD. It was shown on the Discovery Channel, (I missed it) you can even go to their website and order it if one of your buddies doesn't have it. I lucked out -- a guy I met right here on the forum (VA V-Rod) that let me borrow his DVD. It is a fantastic DVD. It shows you how they tested the engine, putting it through extreme tests. Porsche designed, made and tested this engine. Porsche put this engine (bike) to a grueling test out on the German autobahn. Anyway I could keep going on about -- the point is, you've got to see this DVD. Even folks that aren't that crazy about the V-Rod will appreciate what Harley accomplished in building this bike.
It isn't the bike for me but after watching this DVD, I like it.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
wouldnt it be awesome if they put that engine in a full on touring bike? honda goldwings wouldnt stand a chance!!!! comon harley listen up!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I hear ya otterbob. The metric spys would be out in full force trying to steal the tech data and they would be tearing the engine apart in their Laboratory, trying to copy it. (if they aren't already)

·
Banned
490 Posts
Sure its a new engine and frame, but...

Harley-Davidson learned a long time ago the old Henry Ford maxim that "pioneering don't pay"...

I'm not too concerned about buying a "first year" bike. The V-Rod was six years in development, and they spent plenty of time and money testing the engine, cooling system and transmission in the widest possible range of conditions to make sure that there were no lurking problems that could hit them with a raft of warranty expenses and (worse) bad publicity.

The brakes, electrical system, belt drive, suspension, controls, etc. are pretty standard motorcycle components. Harley either makes these bits themselves, or buys them from suppliers with plenty of experience. The only really "new" ground that this bike breaks is the hydroformed frame and the anodized aluminum fenders and airbox cover. I suppose it is possible that some manufacturing or engineering defect could have crept into the frame, but I really don't think that its very likely. I suspect that the anodized aluminum bits may cause some owners a few problems. Anodized aluminum isn't like steel or fibreglass. If it gets dented or scratched you can't just dab some bodyfiller in the hole and spray paint it.. in fact, I'm not sure what you do with dented anodized aluminum.

As for the long-term durability of the Revolution engine? IMHO I believe that this will turn out to be one of the most durable engines Harley has ever put out. The long term enemies of engine blocks and valve trains are friction, vibration, and heat. Harley has taken care of the overheating problem by building a watercooled bike. The V-Rod engine is beautifully balanced. Change your oil every 1000 miles or so, and pay attention to the other maintenance schedule items, and I think the V-Rod is an excellent contender to be a 100,000 mile plus motorcycle.;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I gotta say I have put 6000 miles on mine and I can still wipe the engine with a white cloth -no oil/grease! It is simply a well made machine, and as far as being "first year out" -it was in development for 6 YEARS!
It will be interesting to see what HD does with the new engine..maybe put it in a Fatboy! :) That should chap some a$$e$!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hay otterBob, check out these concepts drawing:

http://groups.msn.com/ToddsHarleyPix/customvrods.msnw

This guys Todd know his art work. The V-Rod is only a first in a family and we all know the government lead by (that cool state) CA is getting tougher on emissions and the air coolers are just doomed to extinction, there epitaph has been written, sorry to say but true. So the air coolers have no choice they either embrace the V-Rod concept or in 10 years they will be walking.

I have over 1400 miles and my V-Rod pulls harder everyday it fly’s, I too have the self preservation instinct and back off before the bike reaches fully potential, but it’s smooth and handles well I have no complaints. And like other have said the Motor Company has put more R&D in this than any other bike they have brought out, ever.

Just check out the problems they had over the life of the EVO and even the 88, I think they have squared most all of them away now but each had teething problems and HD is attempting to venture into another Markey and the target audience for that market won’t put up with teething issues. Like the saying goes “you only have one opportunity to make a first impression”. And if HD didn’t do it right, that may have seriously hurt the Company in the not to distant future. But good new they did do it right, I‘d recommend one to anyone who is interested in this type of bike. It’s not the lean over gas tank humping ricer, but a laid back short distance cruiser that can be a little of a sport bike when asked to be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, you guys really gave some great answers!!! Yes I did see the Discovery channel special on the V Rod, which helped in my decision making. Thank you very much for your input guys...I am sure there are others who will see this, and run to their dealerships......I think most people do not have that special gene anymore, that rare quality in many americans, called " Being a pioneer". In other words, I think a lot of people will WAIT, and see what OTHERS will do, before they jump on the bandwagon. Or else they cannot handle the sticker shock!! Again, Thanks!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
hmmmmm......I must not have been born with that "preservation instinct". I've hit the rev limiter twice in first gear and once in second. Very strange feeling, almost like ABS brakes, but what a rush!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I just got an email this morning from a guy off my car BB and he said all the Dealers in his area either have still got big mark-ups on V-Rods or don't have any available. So much for no one wanting to be a pioneer, snooze and you'll lose. Want one; find one; better get it if it's at MSPR.

Because as many of you know HD has already come out and said that they did not meet their 2002 goal of producing 10,000 V-Rod this year. HD won't say how short they were but apparently it was by quite a few. But on eBay they look like they are dropping in price, who knows. But I have noticed the mileage going up on those for sale, so someone is riding them.

MSRP is $17,475, ($16,995, $275 security system (which was installed on all V-Rods from the factory - no choice) and Freight $205). So bid up to that on a new V=Rod who knows you may get lucky.

Good luck,

Dave

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
cool man! i dont know about the colors but they look pretty authentic! wouldnt honda just **** their pants if they realeased the ultra like that!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a feeling that HD is already planning something in the not so distant future. The V-Rod is only the A model, VRSCA, I am sure the B won't be too fair B-hind ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding break in milage. I live in the Netherlands and my V-rod is just about to hit the 500 miles limit. Is it safe to rev her up after I reach this point?
Or do I have to wait until the first 1000 miles service?

Thanks

Fuhaid

·
Registered
906 Posts
The dealer I bought the bike from told me it was cool to open her up after you hit the 500mile mark. The head tech confirmed that, and I obliged. :)
Well I'm now at 6200 miles went through all scheduled services and bike is as fresh as the day I bought it, not a speck of oil/grease ANYWHERE..and believe me I inspect it daily. :)

Congrats on yer purchase and welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
490 Posts
500 - 1000 miles

The Owners Manual is generally pretty conservative regarding operation of the bike (i.e. "Never ride in excess of posted speed limits...); and according to the manual you can ride the bike normally after the 500 mile break-in period.

If you want to be really safe before letting the revs get up past 6000, you can change the oil and filter at 500 miles, and then have the dealership do it again at the 1000 mile service. This will get all the tiny metal bits that have accumulated out of the engine and filter.

For most people 500 miles at break-in speeds is equal to 20 hours of operation. The main reason they have a break-in period is to prevent too much heat being generated inside the engine before parts such as the piston rings have had a chance to properly seat themselves.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Fuhaid------

500 is the magic number here--------BUT, i'm a little conservative-----i would let her stretch to the upper rev's-------see'n how you've been running around at 3K , start let'n her get to the upper rev's in bounces-----you know, STRETCH---------

Get ready to have some fun--------

Ahhh yes , to be at 500 again , i remember the time like it was yesterday...........

Still have'n fun, just rolled past 4000 last night.........Hutch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply's guys,

Exceeded 500miles over the weekend and opened her up. Damn can she go. Kind of scary though when you pass 6k's + the wind makes it tough to keep hanging on. My friend was trying to keep up with me on his Ducati Monster lol...slim chance. I'm truly satisfied
Anyway's guys thanks again for your input and safe riding.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's good to hear these comments about this bike being strong at 6k plus. I've never had the pleasure of riding this bike but on others I've had it's a rush to feel that power in that rpm range.
Glad to hear that you're enjoying your bike. I was surprised to hear this bike did so well up against the Ducati -- I've owned this bike and it performs well. Sounds like this V-Rod is a pretty awesome machine.
Ride safe and keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts