V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard everyone talk about how the smoothness and ride of the Roadking can't be beat. But I'm wondering how does the 2006 Heritage Softtail Classic compare to it? I'm mainly wondering how much vibrations you get with the solid engine mounts, if any. And if the ride is any different. I'm sure it can't be bad, but lets say you have a RoadKingClassic now, would you be able to go back to something like the Heritage classic?

Also does anyone know if the cruise control can be added on to the Softtail Heritage Classic like it can be added on to the RoadKing Custom?

Thanks for any opinions. I will be renting the bikes and testing them before I make my final decision on which I want (as soon as I get my liscence), but untill then all I have is the opinions of others to go by.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
PeepingTom said:
I have heard everyone talk about how the smoothness and ride of the Roadking can't be beat. But I'm wondering how does the 2006 Heritage Softtail Classic compare to it? I'm mainly wondering how much vibrations you get with the solid engine mounts, if any. And if the ride is any different. I'm sure it can't be bad, but lets say you have a RoadKingClassic now, would you be able to go back to something like the Heritage classic?

Also does anyone know if the cruise control can be added on to the Softtail Heritage Classic like it can be added on to the RoadKing Custom?

Thanks for any opinions. I will be renting the bikes and testing them before I make my final decision on which I want (as soon as I get my liscence), but untill then all I have is the opinions of others to go by.
Thanks
I can't speak for the King, but I just (last week) traded my 04 Heritage in on an Ultra (same platform as the King), so I think I can contribute to this. The difference is night and day. At slow speeds (under 5mph), the Heritage is rock solid, so much that sometimes you have to remind yourself to put you feet down at a stoplight). At those speeds, the touring platform is a little squirley. At speed, the Heritage feels very heavy and wants to only go straight, where the touring platform feels very nimble, kind of like a 350 pound bike, not an 800 pound one. The ride on the touring platform is much better, but I was OK with the ride of the Heritage. The Heritage does get a little "buzzy" around 80 mph, but the touring platform (due to the rubber mount), shakes like hell at idle.

All in all, I will take the touring platform, the only issue is with the slow speed "squirelliness", but after only 5 days and about 850 miles, I am starting to get used to the handling to the point that it is no longer squirley, just different, and actually, I can now turn it sharper than I could the Heritage. It just takes some getting used to.

Hope that helps

Teu

p.s. rent both and spend a long hard riding day on them, preferably one on Saturday and the other on Sunday. That should give you a pretty good comparison of the two. Money well spent.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
I too went from an 05 Heritage Softail to an 06 Ultra. The Ultra handles better at every speed and every situation. I noticed the vibration on the Ultra at idle up to 2K for about 5 days. Now it's like it does not exist. Guys who complain about the vibration on the touring bikes have not owned one(longer than to borrow there buddys' for an afternoon ride)...because after a week it is a non-issue. I loved the Heritage but after having tasted the good life...will never go back-2$en#e-

As Teu stated...comparably the Heritage handles like a dog.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
The SOFTTAIL is not what it says...it rides hard. This is due to the rear suspension geometry, which makes it look clean, but ride like crap. Get the touring model. Sorry to be so matter of fact, but I have both. I love my softtail, but if you want ride quality, you won't be happy.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I've put about 6000 miles on my softail, and only spent a little time on my son's Road King Classic. It seems to be universally accepted that the Road King has a better ride than the softail. But then again, the softail, to me, looks like a "real" Harley, and even though the RK ride may be better, the softail ride is not bad either. After all, these are both motorcycles, and I am not yet old enough (67) to choose my motorcycle based on ride. I am enjoying my softail very much, thank you, and I think it is a wonderful machine. Maybe when I am 80 I will choose based on ride...

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
What he said!!

Tom, Teufelhunden covered your question very well. I wanted to go from a Dyna to a larger bike last fall. I know my salesman pretty well and he gave me a softail classic with 800 mi on it. When I asked him when I had to have it back he said " by quitting time would be nice" so I had it for the day. I put it thru it's paces and It rode fairly well but out on the expressway, it wanted to vibrate at anything over 70. I am slightly inseam challenged so I thought the softail would handle better for me. The next day he let me have a slightly used Road King, same deal, bring it back sometime. Put 50 miles on it that day and figured that was a decent road test. They do shake at an idle but rock steady from 10 to 80+. Handling is great, you do sit differently on the touring bikes and that takes a little getting used to. I took the used Road King back and rode a new RKclassic home. Have not regretted my decision for one moment and can't wait for the snow to go away and get on it again. I suppose it happens but seldom does a person go from the Touring platform bikes back to a softail or dyna. Like going from a full sized Harley back to a Sportster, Happens but not often.
Sorry this got long winded, Just trying to help. You did find the right forum though, there are many knowledgeable people here willing to help. I'm done now. :xhere: Tractorhunter

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've put 1000's of miles on RK's, E-Glides, and the Heritage. The EG's and RK's handle a little better than the Heritage, but Egads, not that much better. The Heritage is a fantastic ride, as are the rubber mounts. The counter balanced Softail engine is smooth. Your test ride will reveal this. There's one key difference I find blissfull with the Heritage... the ergos place one in-the-bike versus on-the-bike.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I've only got a few miles on a Heritage. But a good friend of mine has one, (the only one I've tried out) and I wasn't impressed. I think he drooled when I let him ride my Road King. I won't let him on it again; I'm afraid of what kind of stains I might find on the seat.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Teufelhunden said:
The Heritage does get a little "buzzy" around 80 mph, but the touring platform (due to the rubber mount), shakes like hell at idle.

Teu

I think the "shakes like hell at idle" is pretty extreme, don't you think?
If your Ultra is shaking that badly, I would get it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have both a heritage and an Ultra. Two different animals. The Heritage is comfortable, lower and is "pretty", but it doesn't compare to the ultra for road trips. The ultra is smooth and the suspension--with works shocks is so much better. Needless to say it handles much better.

The OL and I used to take the heritage on road trips, it collects dust now. I find a great difference in the road manners. I can cruise all day at 90 mph with no problems. Not so with the heritage. Guess I should sell it.

If your mission for the bike is short around town rides either bike will do. If longer road trips are contemplated, go for the tour platform.

Regards, SSC

·
Registered
227 Posts
I vote for the RoadKing. The seating position may feel a little funny compared to a softail when you are sitting on them in the showroom. Don't judge on this, you have to ride them.

The Roadking handles great. Remember, cops choose the roadking to ride all day on. The suspension is great. You will use all the travel hitting bumps, making you glad you went with the touring model. Of course, I ride 700-800 mile days.

Low speed handling is excellent. Interestingly, the touring models have greater travel and lean angle as far as handling limits goes.

Vibration: This is my first Harley. I like the vibration at idle. It really does disappear at high speeds. You won't believe this until you try it. I'm told the softails get buzzy at high speed? I would hate that. Actually, even at idle it's not that big of a deal. Your hands/feet feel fine after an all day ride. Biggest thing I notice is at a stoplight. The seat, boards, and bars are not shaking, but then you look down and see the engine rocking back and forth. You really see it more than feel it. The rubber mounts work great as designed.

I did change the bars to heritage softail bars. That and the stock seat sucks. Note, the cop bikes have the heritage bars and improved seat.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few that went from FLHTC to a softail Deluxe. I don't have the time to go on long trips so I keep it down to 300-400 miles a day on weekends. I agree the ride is different, but I prefer the ride of the Deluxe. As a bonus, more women have flashed their titties at me since buying the Deluxe than all 6 years I was riding the Classic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Another vote here for the RK. I have an '04 FLHRI and love it. I like the looks of the Heritage more than the RK. As far as ride goes, I like the RK better. On the Heritage with the counterbalanced motor I didn't get the torque feel transmitted to me like I do with the rubber mount engines. I also heard a distinct whinning or whirring sound from the engine that I assumed was due to the counterbalance. The counterbalanced engine is smooth as silk. That's the problem in my view. I like to feel that the rubber mount engine transmits to the rider myself. After riding both a number of times I was, and still am, convinced that the RK is the bike for me.

Shabo

·
---
201 Posts
I traded in a Road King for a Heritage.
Probably going against the conventional wisdom, but I prefer the ride and handling of the Heritage over the King.

The Heritage seems a bit quicker handling, I prefer the Heritage over road irregularities, and really haven't noted any difference in the vibration level at cruise.

On the down side, the Road King had a more comfortable seat. On the Heritage, my butt goes numb after about 4 hours.

But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I have not ridden anything except the touring bikes so I have nothing to contribute to compare and contrast.

But, my Road King with the Mustang touring seat is so comfy such that I can't remember if I have ever said to myself, out on a long ride, "I can't wait to stop. My [butt/back/insert body part here] is killing me!"

If I were to acquire a soft tail it would NOT be the Heritage with the bags. Those bags cover up one of the prime "points of beauty" for a softtail - that is, the softtail's "rear end" appearance of a hard tail!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2005 classic springer that has 8000k on it. The ol lady got her lic last fall and put 4 - 5000 k on the springer a week ago we bought her a 2006 RK classic. We have put a couple of days of riding and she has no trouble riding the RK at all and loves it and thats funny cuz we went to the Vancouver motorcycle show to see all the Harleys and she wouldn't even look at them but when she saw it at the dealer there was no contest. I always thought that the softail was the king and the unbalanced bikes being a much lesser machine but I put about 40 k on the RK and find it to be a great bike and I'm jealous good thing I can ride it when I want too. Maybe I'm insane but I find the RK to be smoother (than the springer) at Highway speed and darned if I don't think it's quieter. So what about the mounting of the 88a will that be a maintainance issue down the road and what about the 88a having less moving parts will it live longer?

Anyway never thought I would say it but the RK classic get my thumbs up.

Kevin

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

The main reason I am considering the Heritage Classic is the removable bags. I also think its a better looking bike than the road king. But I will be taking this on some long rides, so maybe the Road King would be a better choice. I also really want cruise control, and unless I'm mistaken Harley doesn't make it for the heritage.
Again, thanks for the information. I will definantly rent each and see which I like better out on the highway

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
I've put a couple thousand miles on rental RK's and did like them very much. The ride at touring speeds was excellent and they handled great.

That said, I can put over 400 on my Heritage Softail in a day and enjoy every second of it. I always wanted a Heritage Softail so that is what I bought, at the end of the day it just had more of a "nostalgic" Harley look and that was important.

Ditto the comments on "more in the bike than on the bike" feel for Heritage vs. RK.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

I have a new 2005 classic springer and I have ridden Heritages we bought a 2006 ROAD KING classic a week or so ago. My feeling is after riding all 3 and the ROAD KING only 40k that Harley rightly gave it the ROAD KING name. I like the bags on the Heritage but the bags on the ROAD KING are stupidly easy to remove and I think they look so good it's pointless to ride without them.

Kevin

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
cowboy_bc said:
Hi all,

I have a new 2005 classic springer and I have ridden Heritages we bought a 2006 ROAD KING classic a week or so ago. My feeling is after riding all 3 and the ROAD KING only 40k that Harley rightly gave it the ROAD KING name. I like the bags on the Heritage but the bags on the ROAD KING are stupidly easy to remove and I think they look so good it's pointless to ride without them.

Kevin
Are you mad??? A touring bike without it's bags looks like a shaved bird. The air shocks are just not that appealing. My -2$en#e-

1 - 20 of 34 Posts